Anyone have a picture of Royce Gracie in his Dark Blue Belt?

It's pretty easy to deal with competitions without belt ranks. Here are some examples:

Judo does it based on classes. There are low class local competitions for guys who aren't that good, regional competitions, national competitions, international competitions, and the Olympics at the highest end. Pretty much everyone gets a shodan after a little bit of time (at least under the Japanese model), but the tiered competition system separates the elite competitors from the local guys.

An art like Muay Thai does it based on the level of fights you take. There are amateur fights for newer guys, and there are professional fights for higher level guys. Within each grouping you can also be a low level local fighter, a regional champion, a national champion, or you can go travel to Thailand and fight the best.

There are a lot of other examples too, but those are just a few to get you started.

I don't know... I think I can be black belt in BJJ someday, but I don't think I could ever become MASTER OF SPORTS in BJJ. Although it would take away the (lack of) meaning of my white belt, so it might be a good idea after all!

It's pretty easy to deal with competitions without belt ranks. Here are some examples:

Judo does it based on classes. There are low class local competitions for guys who aren't that good, regional competitions, national competitions, international competitions, and the Olympics at the highest end. Pretty much everyone gets a shodan after a little bit of time (at least under the Japanese model), but the tiered competition system separates the elite competitors from the local guys.

An art like Muay Thai does it based on the level of fights you take. There are amateur fights for newer guys, and there are professional fights for higher level guys. Within each grouping you can also be a low level local fighter, a regional champion, a national champion, or you can go travel to Thailand and fight the best.

There are a lot of other examples too, but those are just a few to get you started.

Yeah, in Judo NOBODY CARES if you win a medal at a local comp in a white/yellow/orange/green belt division so there is no incentive to sandbag. Blue belts (sankyu in IJF) are allowed to fight against the brown and black belts and they usually do, and then medaling at a few of those local comps qualifies you for the bigger regional comps. Then national and international competitions are basically only for black belts, because winning enough competitions to qualify you for that level also qualifies you for the shodan rank.

BJJ could get rid of sandbagging completely if they stopped letting people just sign up for big competitions like Pan-Ams and Mundials and stopped having white and blue belt divisions at them, and forced competitors to qualify by winning local competitions in order to be eligible. But then either IBJJF would make less money, or instructors would start promoting their students faster to give them the chance to compete at higher levels--and you would have to compete to get promoted.

But Koral belt is pretty much represent the idea of "The Master Of BJJ"

Koral is a gi brand. Coral belt is a red-and-black belt. Royce Gracie is Royce Gracie. He has nothing to prove, and certainly doesn't need to have a certain color belt to prove anything. He's just honoring the memory of his late father.

Mad Respect to ZuZitsu.

I'll try and get some more pics of Royce and his dark blue belt in September. He's putting on a huge week long seminar here in Mammoth at the gym I teach at.

Koral is a gi brand. Coral belt is a red-and-black belt. Royce Gracie is Royce Gracie. He has nothing to prove, and certainly doesn't need to have a certain color belt to prove anything. He's just honoring the memory of his late father.

o yea i made a stupid mistake lol
anyway my point is i thought master Helio wear his Coral belt before he passed away.
nothing against Royce or any Gracie members

o yea i made a stupid mistake lol
anyway my point is i thought master Helio wear his Coral belt before he passed away.
nothing against Royce or any Gracie members

Helio had a solid red belt with ten stripes on it, but people say that he only wore that for more formal events and photo ops, and when he trained/instructed day-to-day at Gracie Humaita he usually preferred to wear the dark blue belt.

Little late I know but I figured this thread could use another photo of the belt Royce is wearing now due to it's significance.

022311213316.jpg

Taken earlier this evening in Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Little late I know but I figured this thread could use another photo of the belt Royce is wearing now due to it's significance.

022311213316.jpg

Taken earlier this evening in Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Totally offtopic but where are people training in Mammoth?

Totally offtopic but where are people training in Mammoth?

Snowcreek Athletic Club at 1616 Old Mammoth Road. Class is Monday and Wednesday nights at 7pm.

It's a growing program that a buddy and myself started. Some dedicated students up here to. We welcome friendly guests who are looking to train while in town. Stop by next time you're in town.

No-belt ranking could just be time of experience, like no-gi NAGA does.

I'd love to rock a navy blue belt man.

Back