Anyone have a picture of Royce Gracie in his Dark Blue Belt?

Rozzy

White Belt
Reaction score
I know he switched to Dark Blue instead of Black. Any picks?

Any picks?

soundboard-ralphwiggum.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. :icon_chee

I do not think there is any: only his Dad liked wearing one.

having lost my father when I was 10yrs old, I completely understand this philosophy! Anything you can do to keep someones spirit (who meant so much to you) alive you are going to do it!

My father was a cop who was killed in the line of duty and his name is on a wall in Washington, Albany NY, locally at a memorial for fallen cops, and he has a police headquarters named after him and it all helps keep his memory alive!

MAD PROPS TO ROYCE for not just doing what everyone else wants or expects!!

having lost my father when I was 10yrs old, I completely understand this philosophy! Anything you can do to keep someones spirit (who meant so much to you) alive you are going to do it!

My father was a cop who was killed in the line of duty and his name is on a wall in Washington, Albany NY, locally at a memorial for fallen cops, and he has a police headquarters named after him and it all helps keep his memory alive!

MAD PROPS TO ROYCE for not just doing what everyone else wants or expects!!

Respect!

in the original system, dark blue was the instructor belt.

If I recall correctly, the modern BJJ belt system (white, blue, purple, brown, black) was invented in the 1970s.

Before that, there were only two ranks for students: white and blue. The instructor rank was a dark blue like you see in that picture.

If I recall correctly, the modern BJJ belt system (white, blue, purple, brown, black) was invented in the 1970s.

Before that, there were only two ranks for students: white and blue. The instructor rank was a dark blue like you see in that picture.

could you imagine if they kept that system?

nothing to fight and argue over in BJJ = world peace in F12.

Are you kidding?

Even more to fight about.

More people whining about not being promoted (like me). More people questioning every single promotion, because it's the only promotion.

And competitions, you want to talk about some sandbagging whining there. I doubt people would even compete after the first time they faced a white belt that was essentially a brown belt.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that most martial arts actually do not use a ranking system at all.

There are definitely pluses and minuses to both, and I go back and forth between the two. After I got my black belt in Karate, I didn't really think belts meant much and preferred to train in the arts that didn't use them. But then I got into BJJ eventually and went back to it.

Are you kidding?

More people whining about not being promoted (like me). More people questioning every single promotion, because it's the only promotion.

And competitions, you want to talk about some sandbagging whining there. I doubt people would even compete after the first time they faced a white belt that was essentially a brown belt.

I'm not too sure about that. People would find other things to fight about, but I doubt rank would be one of them.

The sandbagging thing is almost entirely a construction of the BJJ rank system as well. Sandbagging pretty much only exists as a concept in BJJ as far as I can tell. In arts like Judo and Karate, people step up to the black belt division if anything. There is no honor in winning a colored belt division in those arts.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that most martial arts actually do not use a ranking system at all.

There are definitely pluses and minuses to both, and I go back and forth between the two. After I got my black belt in Karate, I didn't really think belts meant much and preferred to train in the arts that didn't use them. But then I got into BJJ eventually and went back to it.

I can't argue with this at all, though I will say that one of the pluses is competitions.

I don't see how competitions can be really fairly distributed without some sort of belt system or ranking.

And competitions, while not vital to training and getting better, are certainly a catalyst for many (myself included).

I can't argue with this at all, though I will say that one of the pluses is competitions.

I don't see how competitions can be really fairly distributed without some sort of belt system or ranking.

And competitions, while not vital to training and getting better, are certainly a catalyst for many (myself included).

It's pretty easy to deal with competitions without belt ranks. Here are some examples:

Judo does it based on classes. There are low class local competitions for guys who aren't that good, regional competitions, national competitions, international competitions, and the Olympics at the highest end. Pretty much everyone gets a shodan after a little bit of time (at least under the Japanese model), but the tiered competition system separates the elite competitors from the local guys.

An art like Muay Thai does it based on the level of fights you take. There are amateur fights for newer guys, and there are professional fights for higher level guys. Within each grouping you can also be a low level local fighter, a regional champion, a national champion, or you can go travel to Thailand and fight the best.

There are a lot of other examples too, but those are just a few to get you started.

Are you kidding?

white belt = beginner

blue belt = students that completed the 40 private classes with or under master Helio.

Dark blue belt = instructor working for Master Helio which were awared the instructor certificate.

competition would have just be like wrestling.

Back