• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone following the huge chess cheating controversy?

They need to stop the anal vibrator cheating, and the best, proven way to do that is to have both Magnus and Hans fist each other at the same time while playing. Not sexually, mind you, just have a hand up there to constantly check and make sure each guy's vibrator isn't making any signals.

And then they still have their spare hand to play with as well so it won't ruin the game.

We here in this particular corner of the interwebz know all too well that even grown men who are some of the most dangerous professional fighters in the world can still behave like oversensitive absolute babies...

So watching nerds act like this should be no surprise.

What I really want to see is like a Diaz brother version of one of these chess champs, talking shit. "Yo I don't even give a fuck if I'm gettin paid, if I catch you on the street bitch, or in a public park with oneathem stone chess tables, we're throwing down a game right then & there motherfucker"

You want "nerds" to act like street tuff guys? Really? They know their lane. They're staying in it.

My recollection is from years ago when it took a supercomputer to play at grandmaster level. I was just googling for the newest Human vs. Computer games, and it does look like desktops, workstations and a smartphone ( in 2009 ) can beat a grandmaster.

I wonder though if a desktop , workstation or smartphone can beat Magnus?

Magnus is ranked in the high 2800s last time I checked, highest ranked player of all time. The latest Stockfish engine running on your phone can hit 3514. It's a gulf in class, the processor on your smartphone is orders of magnitude more powerful than they were 10/15 years ago...like the other guy said, you don't need a supercomputer.

I am scratching my head at the title, seeing huge and chess in the same sentence on a karate forum

I am scratching my head at the title, seeing huge and chess in the same sentence on a karate forum
To their merits... top chess players make more money than most UFC champions.

Magnus is ranked in the high 2800s last time I checked, highest ranked player of all time. The latest Stockfish engine running on your phone can hit 3514. It's a gulf in class, the processor on your smartphone is orders of magnitude more powerful than they were 10/15 years ago...like the other guy said, you don't need a supercomputer.
Yeah I was basing my knowledge on supercomputer vs. human from the late 2000s and early 2010s. Didn't realize the Chess engines had gotten soo powerfull. I think it's the engine more so than the raw computing power.

Chess is actually a pretty big deal and it has a massive following worldwide.

Yeah I was basing my knowledge on supercomputer vs. human from the late 2000s and early 2010s. Didn't realize the Chess engines had gotten soo powerfull. I think it's the engine more so than the raw computing power.

You realize that was 1997, right?

Engines are certainly optimised, Stockfish(the current daddy of chess engines) uses a deterministic tree pruning algorithm. It doesn't need to calculate every move possible on the board, it can evaluate which are the more likely lines, it also evaluates positions, not moves. This is what makes it so powerful, no wasted processing of dead lines in the decision tree.

Google came up with a chess engine called Alpha Zero that essentially worked around neural networks (generational learning), which is a completely different paradigm to the way Stockfish works. Looked like it was going to challenge it for a while but Stockfish has raced back in front, it's a very interesting area of study for computer scientists.

Engines installed on PC were capable of beating top level chess play by 2006. Nowadays you have chess enthusiats using these powerful chess engines to review and break down games. Agadmator on youtube is one of the most popular chess reviewer (and the one I follow religiously).

The next goal was to defeat top level Go players. A task considerably much harder than chess. At the time (2000) it was estimated that it require a near human-like AI to beat a top level Go players ~ decades. But they destroyed that goal in 2016 - AlphaGo defeated the #1 Go Player Ke Ji (3-0).

Just curiouse about people's chess ranking that are reading this. I enjoy the game but have difficulty staying above 1600.
It's a fascinating game and I know how to improve but it takes a lot of time and dedication.

Just curiouse about people's chess ranking that are reading this. I enjoy the game but have difficulty staying above 1600.
It's a fascinating game and I know how to improve but it takes a lot of time and dedication.
I'm about 1000 in bullet, blitz and rapid in chess.com and watch Hikaru speedruns or Narodisky educational content when I can't sleep.

That is the higher I can go knowing a few things about opening and playing chess to kill time.

I want to play IRL at some point... but I can't find the time to go to a local chess club.

Here's the latest interview from Magnus:

It's like a minute long, so if you need cliffs, you have the attention span of a 1 year old.

Can't watch because I'm using a satellite connection from a boat. To expensive so need cliffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WINGNUT
Back