• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone following the huge chess cheating controversy?

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I don't really follow chess this much, but this story caught my eye over the last few days. About 2 weeks ago, Magnus Carlsen was playing Hans Nieman and Magnus lost with white for the first time in forever. After, Magnus sent out a Tweet that implied Hans cheated during that game because Magnus apparently played an opening he almost never plays and Hans knew how to defend it perfectly. And, Hans has admitted to cheating to online matches a couple of years ago. (The match against Magnus was in person though.)

Hans was banned from Chess.com within a few days as well.

Well, today they met in another tournament and this is what happened:

Shit's getting real in chess. ;)

Cliffs.

The video is a minute long. The match has just started. Some people are covering it / commenting on it. During a discussion of previous accusations of cheating, one player logs off. Match is over. Then the other player logs off. The commentators are like 'Wow.'

I don't really follow chess this much, but this story caught my eye over the last few days. About 2 weeks ago, Magnus Carlsen was playing Hans Nieman and Magnus lost with white for the first time in forever. After, Magnus sent out a Tweet that implied Hans cheated during that game because Magnus apparently played an opening he almost never plays and Hans knew how to defend it perfectly. And, Hans has admitted to cheating to online matches a couple of years ago. (The match against Magnus was in person though.)

Hans was banned from Chess.com within a few days as well.

Well, today they met in another tournament and this is what happened:

Shit's getting real in chess. ;)

Lol yeah I've read about Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky. They were often accusing each other of cheating or rigging the rules or some such. From what I've read about chess, people who play it at a high level have tendencies toward paranoia because in a lot of ways that's what chess is about: constantly anticipating another person's moves. When it gets to the grandmaster type level they are thinking about it non-stop and it's hard for them to shut down their brain and chill out. I have no idea about this particular controversy but do find it fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Cliffs

1. Chess Master accused of cheating.
2. By using an anal stimulator to receive the correct moves.
3. Something about Elon Musk
4. Chess Master playing on a whole new level of 4D Chess..

Very concise.

Fascinating.

Magnus Carlsen has resigned from an online match against Hans Niemann after making only one move, reigniting the controversial feud between the two players.
The two players met in the Julius Baer Generation Cup on Monday, their first meeting since the American’s victory over Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup earlier this month. Both players were visible on video link during the live broadcast on Chess24.After making his first move with the black pieces, the world champion promptly resigned and disconnected from the game, with Niemann – who had made two moves with White – following suit soon after. “Magnus Carlsen just resigned. Got up and left,” said the Chess24 commentator and chess grandmaster Tania Sachdev. “Switched off his camera, and that’s all we know right now. We’re going to try to get an update on this.”

Niemann has strenuously denied allegations of cheating at the Sinquefield Cup, but did admit that he had cheated at chess in the past – first as a 12-year-old in an online tournament, and then as a 16-year-old playing unrated games while streaming. “I have never cheated in an over-the-board game,” Niemann said, adding that he was now “clean” and was even prepared to play naked, in “a closed box with zero electronic transmission”, in order to prove his innocence. While both players returned to play their next scheduled matches on Monday, Carlsen’s unexpected move has already shaken up the chess world. “This is unprecedented. I just, I can’t believe it,” Sachdev added. “Did that just happen?” “Magnus [is] just refusing to play against Hans. He will play the tournament, but he is saying ‘I will not play the game against him’. That’s making a very big statement.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...arlsen-resigns-from-online-match-hans-niemann

Fascinating.

Also came to post this pouty treasure:

10215301.jpg

Calls grow to suspend world champ Magnus Carlsen after he throws game against Hans Niemann, imputing cheating
September 20, 2022, 10:43 AM IST
Chidanand Rajghatta is The Times of India’s US-based Foreign Editor

Calls are growing for chess officialdom to suspend world champion Magnus Carlsen from tournament play after he forfeited a game on Monday against rising American star Hans Niemann, whom he has wordlessly, implicitly, and without proof accused of cheating. Some two weeks after a personal across-the-board clash at the Sinquefield Cup in St Louis Missouri, in which a Niemann win led Carlsen to quit the tournament, the two men met again in the virtual domain at the online JuliusBaerGenerationCup. While the chess world held its breath about how the game would go after the turbulent events in US, Carlsen, playing black, resigned after just one move. No words were spoken, but the imputation was clear. Carlsen believes Niemann is cheating and he does not want to play him. As at St Louis, the world champion offered no explanation for his action, behavior that is starting to anger other chess players and fans. “Magnus Carlsen is trying to end Hans Niemann ‘s career in a way that makes it impossible for HN to defend himself. The burden of proof must lie with the prosecution, otherwise the accused finds himself in a kafkaian nightmare, unfair and unescapable. This is simply not right,” one fan wrote on Twitter. Welsh Grandmaster Nigel Davies went further and suggested Carlsen should be suspended pending either: 1) A clear statement that he wasn’t making an accusation, or 2) Hard evidence of cheating actually having occurred. “Who’s got the balls to do it?” he asked.

Organisers of the tournament apparently don’t, because minutes after he threw the game against Niemann, Carlsen returned to play Armenian-American GM Levon Aronian, whom he defeated, and Indian teenage GM, Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa, with whom he drew. The world champion was in a graceful mood, applauding Pragg’s game and giving him a thumbs up after withstanding a tough attack by the Indian prodigy who has defeated him four times this year. But when it comes to Niemann, Carlsen has condemned him with stone-faced silence, leaving other chess surrogates to make insinuations and innuendoes. Aronian, for instance, said he understood Carlsen’s frustration, telling the website chess24, ” I do believe Hans has not been the cleanest person when it comes to online chess. But he’s a young guy, hopefully this will be a lesson to him not to do any bad things online. Generally, I think this is a problem that requires a solution – and there are solutions.”

Niemann has admitted cheating in online games when he was 12 and 16, but the 19-year old from San Francisco insists he has learned his lesson and has since been clean. Wild theories were bandied online following his win against Carlsen in St Louis, including the use of anal beads that vibrated to electronic cues to make the right moves. Organisers of the current tournament, where Indian teenage sensations Arjun Erigaisi and Praggnanandhaa are in the top two positions followed by Carlsen, say they have taken tough security measures to prevent cheating in a tournament that is played online and where personal monitoring is hard. To begin with, all players have to be alone in the room they are playing in and they have to share the screen. Players cannot leave their desk while they’re playing and organisers have cameras pointing from the back to the desk so that they can see the entire area that the players are playing from, and the sound has to be on. Arbiters follow each game either at home with the players or digitally. The players also have to show their ears into the arbiter cameras. “We have some of the best analytics tools that can do analysis after the rounds and also we have some elements in addition to this that we want to keep for ourselves so that we have tools that are not known to the world as well,” one organiser explained to chess24.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-game-against-hans-niemann-imputing-cheating/

If he was indeed cheating, he should be banned for life. A cheater is the closest thing to a thief.

Back