Anyone ever start a campaign with Indiegogo, Gofundme, etc?

My friend wanted to do this to fund a trip around the world and asked my opinion. I told him do it if he wants, but for the rest of his life people will know him as "that guy" and probably feel like he owes them something. I guess if strangers donate who cares?

Good luck with your panhandling my friend.

My band used kickstarter. We nearly tripled our goal and it helped us get a Grammy award winning engineer to master our album (he did Arctic Monkeys' "AM"). It was a really cool experience. It took a lot of prep. You can't just throw shit up there and hope for the best. It's a lot of work going into it. I'll read more in the thread.

Initial goal was 1500, final tally was about 4,300

I disagree with this sentiment.

My friend wanted to do this to fund a trip around the world and asked my opinion. I told him do it if he wants, but for the rest of his life people will know him as "that guy" and probably feel like he owes them something. I guess if strangers donate who cares?

This is different, I guess he's lucking out because he's asking but it's kinda douchey in my opinion.

This isn't for a business, but a honeymoon actually.

Good luck.

work and save.

or ask that people just go to "such and such" travel agency to donate for your wedding gift..

This works too, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I know people do it all the time and every time I hear about someone doing something so pathetic, I cringe hard. Be a man, work hard and earn it rather than being an entitled brat.

Eh, when my band did a kickstarter, we offered incentives. We did the kickstarter to help cover costs up front in exchange for the finished product, ie our album and merchandise. you still turn a profit and we ran our campaign like a "pre-sale" we even had acknowledgements at a certain level on our album.

I disagree with this sentiment.

This is different, I guess he's lucking out because he's asking but it's kinda douchey in my opinion.

Good luck.

This works too, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Eh, when my band did a kickstarter, we offered incentives. We did the kickstarter to help cover costs up front in exchange for the finished product, ie our album and merchandise. you still turn a profit and we ran our campaign like a "pre-sale" we even had acknowledgements at a certain level on our album.

no you doing kickstarter to fund or produce an album is different than getting people to pay for your honeymoon imo. or maybe not. they are both for recreation i suppose. i know you guys put a ton of work into your band but all have jobs as well.

And you did nothing wrong. The only thing common between what you did and what TS wants to do is kickstarter. He might as well pick up a board and write "Broke as fuck, spare some change for my honeymoon in Barbados" and go do what homeless people do but that may actually require some hard work.

Offer to post pics of you and your wifes sex vid as an incentive for all the people who contribute towards your fund.

PROFIT!!!!11

Can't be asking something for nothing, bro.

And you did nothing wrong. The only thing common between what you did and what TS wants to do is kickstarter. He might as well pick up a board and write "Broke as fuck, spare some change for my honeymoon in Barbados" and go do what homeless people do but that may actually require some hard work.

Thanks! Yeah, we tried to offer good reasons to pitch toward it. Like I said, we also wanted to have some good names on the song, so we got the guy that mastered "Brothers" by Black Keys and "AM" by Arctic Monkeys. It was definitely not like asking for it for no reason, it was more to get our fans a chance to buy our album early.

no you doing kickstarter to fund or produce an album is different than getting people to pay for your honeymoon imo. or maybe not. they are both for recreation i suppose. i know you guys put a ton of work into your band but all have jobs as well.

this is true. The Kickstarter came after we have all exhausted our own funds. I guess it's ok to ask in lieu of wedding presents, but you won't be catching me helping with that shit

TS will you be releasing nude pics of your wife as perks?

Like for $1 you release a nipple shot, $5 for side boob, $10 for one full frontal shot of one boob. $20 for both booths etc

Shit if you do it like that, I'm sure some of us on here would contribute.

Kind of my thoughts. You're essentially asking strangers to pitch towards your honeymoon. These sites really bring out the new-age beggars. 10 years ago would you have made a cardboard sign reading "need money for honeymoon" and stood at a busy intersection? Heck if you did that you could bring a bucket of water and squeegee and at least wipe my windshield or play an instrument.

If you put "money for honeymoon" on your registry at least it's coming from people you're inviting to your wedding. Maybe asking for money is a lame gift request but at least it's from people you know.

Kind of my thoughts. You're essentially asking strangers to pitch towards your honeymoon. These sites really bring out the new-age beggars. 10 years ago would you have made a cardboard sign reading "need money for honeymoon" and stood at a busy intersection? Heck if you did that you could bring a bucket of water and squeegee and at least wipe my windshield or play an instrument.

If you put "money for honeymoon" on your registry at least it's coming from people you're inviting to your wedding. Maybe asking for money is a lame gift request but at least it's from people you know.

My wife and i gave 2 options. We said in lieu of gifts feel free to donate to the Susan G. Komen cancer research because we had a family member recently battle it. Most people still gave cash.

TS will you be releasing nude pics of your wife as perks?

Like for $1 you release a nipple shot, $5 for side boob, $10 for one full frontal shot of one boob. $20 for both booths etc

Shit if you do it like that, I'm sure some of us on here would contribute.

You should also diversify and appeal to the female and gay market by releasing pics of your dick. $1 for a ball shot, $5 for both balls, $10 for just the shaft etc

Some Sherdoggers would probably go for that as well

I'm paying for the whole wedding myself, so trying to figure out ways to fund the honeymoon.

"You never know til you try"-Jack Burton

Maybe I'll take people up on the registry idea that was mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back