Social Anyone ever adopt?

What is the relationship like with her?

My younger sister and her are like peas in a pod. They live about a 4~5 hr drive away from each other. The older one was maid of honor at the younger ones wedding, that's how close they became after knowing each other for a few years.

Unfortunately, I live about 4000 kilometers away from both of them. And I'm terrible at keeping in contact with people. The oldest one was just out this way visiting with her husband and 2 of the 3 nephews. It was the first time I'd see her since the youngest sisters wedding 15 years ago.

That being said, we get along great. She had 2 adopted brothers, so having 2 more brothers (my Dad remarried and has another son) wasn't a big deal for her. Having a sister on the other hand was huge. That's part of the reason they're so close.

My Dad is........difficult toget along with to say the least. So they don't have any real relationship.

My Mom and her had a decent relationship, then my Mom moved to the far east coast (both sisters are in Ontario Canada, my Dad younger brother and I are west coast of Canada), so I think they still talk but don't see each other anymore.

My Aunt and Uncle adopted a Puerto Rican kid. He was 7 when they adopted him... and immediately had him change his name to something less... 'ethnic'...

<Varys01>

Also one of my best friends growing up was adopted. Lot of problems with them.

There’s a motorbike travel documentary I watch with Ewan McGregor and his best Mate Charley Boorman where they travel all over the world. The first one must have been like 15 years ago but the new one is on Apple TV on Fridays. He had his adopted 17 year old daughter on it that he adopted when she was a really small child in an orphanage but never mentioned it before.

he and his friend do a lot of work with UNICEF which is where he met her. I admire that he isn’t rubbing it in people’s faces like for instance Madonna and considering how closely I’ve been following the documentaries I didn’t know.

Nah I imagine we may have one more and if we have issues I'll say fuck it 2 is fine.

good to hear that the siblings can stay together. People don't realise that could damage they're way of thinking if they are not with Thier sibling. My cousin first kid he adopted was only child but the three others came from such a broken home we didn't know if he could get all of them at the time. I really really feel sorry for those three kids especially the one who seen it all. Legit makes me cry every time I see the one child...sorry coming as a puss
No, you're fine.
The two kids my sister in law adopted there was a third sister. I really can't remember why they couldn't adopt her, but they tried. Not sure about her mental health, maybe healthier than the other girls and that's what got them split up.

My younger sister and her are like peas in a pod. They live about a 4~5 hr drive away from each other. The older one was maid of honor at the younger ones wedding, that's how close they became after knowing each other for a few years.

Unfortunately, I live about 4000 kilometers away from both of them. And I'm terrible at keeping in contact with people. The oldest one was just out this way visiting with her husband and 2 of the 3 nephews. It was the first time I'd see her since the youngest sisters wedding 15 years ago.

That being said, we get along great. She had 2 adopted brothers, so having 2 more brothers (my Dad remarried and has another son) wasn't a big deal for her. Having a sister on the other hand was huge. That's part of the reason they're so close.

My Dad is........difficult toget along with to say the least. So they don't have any real relationship.

My Mom and her had a decent relationship, then my Mom moved to the far east coast (both sisters are in Ontario Canada, my Dad younger brother and I are west coast of Canada), so I think they still talk but don't see each other anymore.
I hear ya, apart from the odd angry email I haven't spoken to my dad in 20 years.

Families are weird, but it sounds like that scenario of yours for the most part worked out well. I only speak to my other half's family apart from my step dad. Huge family on my dad's side but no contact at all, so I guess I'm a bit useless as well.

I know a couple who adopted two children as babies, a girl and a boy. The boy's birth mother was an addict and he had withdrawal symptoms at birth. The daughter was well behaved, good in school and went to college. The son was a hellion all of his life. He was constantly in trouble, stole a car when he was 13, got kicked out of school. He went to prison for rape and recently got out. I saw his name published when he was released as a registered sex offender.

Genetics is enough of a lottery when the parents are known. Taking on an unknown child seems like a big risk.

Last edited:
There’s a motorbike travel documentary I watch with Ewan McGregor and his best Mate Charley Boorman where they travel all over the world. The first one must have been like 15 years ago but the new one is on Apple TV on Fridays. He had his adopted 17 year old daughter on it that he adopted when she was a really small child in an orphanage but never mentioned it before.

he and his friend do a lot of work with UNICEF which is where he met her. I admire that he isn’t rubbing it in people’s faces like for instance Madonna and considering how closely I’ve been following the documentaries I didn’t know.

I thought about it, but since I could have my own no. I commend anyone who did.

It takes heart to do that.
Don't know if I have that much heart.
You have a boatload of compassion though, I think if it were presented as this little 2 year old girl going back to the orphanage or having a nice life with you you'd pick the latter. You're a nice person, it's in your nature to care for people.

You have a boatload of compassion though, I think if it were presented as this little 2 year old girl going back to the orphanage or having a nice life with you you'd pick the latter. You're a nice person, it's in your nature to care for people.
<Oku03>
<YayKpop>
<Oku04>

Ive adopted several terrible habits and behaviours in the past at one point or another before I was self aware.

Whoa, strange thread coincidence.

My partners nephew just asked me to adopt him and I said yes. He just turned 18, so it will be an over 18 adoption.

How does that work?

My friend adopted a child from Ethiopia
He had to go twice to for the adoption process.
He fell in love with the country and has a beautiful daughter as well.

He said it was the best experience of his life.

Apparently there are open adoptions, one of the weirdest shit I've seen. Parent gives up child, child gets adopted, and first parent gets to have interaction with the kid

LIke wtf bruh, you lost your right to your kid, now you want a new parent(s) to raise the kid and want to be able to try to squeeze in to "get" the kid back or even try to remote parent him/her?

Back