Anyone else spoiled by UFC/MMA????

ginor

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was recently watching the Floyd Mayweather fight and had a realisation. It was really hard to watch!
I used to enjoy watching Boxing with my dad. But since he went away I have watched almost exclusively UFC.
The problem was, the flow.

Seemingly every 10 seconds the ref was getting involved, shoving fighters apart shouting, " alright break, break, break."

It was infuriatingly un-enjoyable. I just wanted to see a fight.

I think its the rythym that you get in (most) UFC fights I enjoy now, and boxing seems so mechanical.
So this is not about saying either is better. (Although I know what I'll watch going forward.)
So I've been ruined, and I wonder how many others have noticed a huge change?

i've never liked boxing. I love watching kickboxing though, it seems to have more "flow " than boxing. plus seeing a highlight real headkikc/knee is never a bad thing

Yeah i agree with most of that. MMA is certainly the closer equivalent to a real fight.

alot of that has to do with the fighters involved. the clash of styles and Maidana's roughhousing led to that. whereasa fight between JMM and Pac gets little to know clinches or breaks. Plus, there are plenty of UFC fights ahere one guy lays on another for 4 minutes throwing a sporadic elbow or punch and rides out the lay and pray decision.
I love both sports and think that you get plenty of good fights and plenty of stinkers in each

I feel exactly the same way, TS. I admire the technical aspects of boxing and I can certainly see it's beauty, but the constant clinching and ref interruptions really don't work for me. Also, when I guy gets knocked down I really hate the fact that they stop it to give him time to recover.

i'm okay with boxing or any form of professional fighting like mma, muay thai, kickboxing, etc. once i familiarize myself with the rules, the differences between the fighting disciplines doesn't discourage me from watching and enjoying the fights.

It's more of the other way around for me. When I watch MMA I'm just frustrated by how bad the striking is.

But I like both.

i've never liked boxing. I love watching kickboxing though, it seems to have more "flow " than boxing. plus seeing a highlight real headkikc/knee is never a bad thing

holyfuck you are first reply in every single thread ive looked today

Nah I love both. Watch more MMA, but I enjoy boxing just as much.

Just because you like MMA doesn't mean you have to like boxing or grappling on its own.

With that said, it's mainly people that don't train themselves.

MMA is constant action. It's a sport that will absolutely spoil you considering that in a game of football there is really only about 11 minutes of actual football.

I still appreciate both tbh. Imo, nothing beats K! and Glory for pure entertainment. MMA can suffer from its share of lay and pray boring frustrating moments though.

Honestly if it wasn't for boxers over using the clinch (at some point it should be a penalty), I would enjoy boxing a lot more, or at least it would allow me to enjoy more fighters.

I haven't watched boxing in a long time. Just not interested in it anymore.

Poor example because the ref was terrible in that fight.

Back