Anyone else spoiled by UFC/MMA????

alot of that has to do with the fighters involved. the clash of styles and Maidana's roughhousing led to that. whereasa fight between JMM and Pac gets little to know clinches or breaks. Plus, there are plenty of UFC fights ahere one guy lays on another for 4 minutes throwing a sporadic elbow or punch and rides out the lay and pray decision.
I love both sports and think that you get plenty of good fights and plenty of stinkers in each

I couldn't agree more. The arrogance of some fans, on both sides admittedly, really annoys me

I grew up watching boxing. My dad wasn't crazy about it but I just happened across it one night as a lil kid and it stuck from that point until college. Then it started to fade from there.

MMA came onto the scene, bam. It was natural that I'd love it. I have been DVRing Glory Kickboxing. Really liking that too.

i agree totally with TS. all that hugging they do in boxing is bullshit since they can't do anything past that, and simply wait for the fucking ref to tell them to stop hugging.

I watched boxing for the first time in a long time last Saturday (Marquez fight). It was a good scrap and somewhat enjoyable but:

MMA > Glory > boxing

Nah, Floyd/Maidana had me on the edge of my seat more than any recent MMA fight I can think of

Boxing just needs a HW that knocks people the fuck out and it will be exciting again... another Tyson would make boxing huge again. Someone undefeated, powerful, quick, technical and just feared.

i agree totally with TS. all that hugging they do in boxing is bullshit since they can't do anything past that, and simply wait for the fucking ref to tell them to stop hugging.

Maybe they could shorten the fight like a kickboxing match and be more strict on clinching

It's actually the opposite. Watching mma lately has made me appreciate boxing more

Boxing just needs a HW that knocks people the fuck out and it will be exciting again... another Tyson would make boxing huge again. Someone undefeated, powerful, quick, technical and just feared.

It's not just like that imo

Deontay Wilder is a heavywight
31-0 with 31 ko's
100% knockout ratio

DSC_0744.JPG

Although he is upcoming, he isn't nearly as hyped as Tyson used to be.

It's not just like that imo

Deontay Wilder is a heavywight
31-0 with 31 ko's
100% knockout ratio

DSC_0744.JPG

Although he is upcoming, he isn't nearly as hyped as Tyson used to be.

That is one huge scary mofo I dont follow boxing much but I'll look out for this Deontay.
Maybe he'll bump into the gobshite Tyson Fury at some point.
That might be a fun watch.

Admittedly I once tried to get into boxing, and the frustration of watching the losing fighters clinch-stall repeatedly round after round was too much.

Seemingly every 10 seconds the ref was getting involved, shoving fighters apart shouting, " alright break, break, break."

I've found that this only happens in boxing mismatches (ones where one guy is clearly too good for the other and the other guy has to go for hugs in order to give himself breathing spaces).

I started doing karate when I was four. I watched a boxing match with my grandfather (can't remember for the life of me who or when) and I asked him why they weren't allowed to kick, throw, or generally do anything awesome. He explained that they're only allowed to use their fists and that struck me as kind of odd since I'd been fighting with my older brother using everything I could and especially what amounted schoolyard wrestling.

I've watched boxing matches since but I've never been able to shake that childhood disconnect. I felt the same way about judo years later, not being able to punch someone in the face, and MMA combines everything into a delicious free for all. There's no going back.

I wouldn't flat out say that boxing is no good, because at high levels, the technical skill and artistry is spectacular. And there is clearly a huge fan base.

Just that once you know enough about MMA to appreciate it, the intensity makes it really hard to go back to Boxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back