Anyone else not excited about fight cards like they used to be?

Too many cards. Every now and then a fight will come up that im excited about. The last one for me was probably Masvidal vs Askren.

I get excited that we get to see some fights. Im always eager for some violence even tho sometimes idk the fighter.

There is too many events in a month. They should narrow it down to only two events per month, not 4. You'll definitely get more stacked UFC cards if they do that.

When we see 3 robberies and awful judging just last Saturday and practically every single card it makes me question if I should watch the entire cards or even take it as seriously as I do. I love MMA, there is no other sport that I find entertaining but there are major changes that have to happen. There is still a lot to fix and to many unanswered questions after every event. There has been too much controversy the last months I feel.

I enjoy prelims fights a lot more, but there are a lot of robberies that happen on the prelims, where the wrong fighter win or where certain scorecards from judges are just off. Like Giles winning the first round against Krause or Ewell winning all 3 rounds against Martinez. Andrea Lee losing against Murphy etc. It was just horrible to watch.

There are too many unknown names and prospects. It has gotten so bad that I only follow heavyweight.

I watched UFC 1 as it happened and everything else I could get my hands on. It's certainly not the same anticipation but waiting months and months for each event was dreadful too. Anytime you have more of something it's going to be less anticipation.

I much prefer constant mma. I watch a bunch of orgs, so these days I mostly skip through other events watching the better fights in full and skipping a bit on others but I watch the UFC's in full.

There's positive and negative's so it's just about how you handle it. Like I always say for the people that are like who the f are these guys? Take an hour or two during the week and watch some fights, interviews etc. of the guys you don't know. The usual response is "I don't have time for that shit" and it's usually people that are here all day lol, like yeah, you don't have time for that? Watching people's fights, interviews and learning about them will make you much more interested in the fights you didn't know before.

Yes things are watered down but it's still great fights consistently, I think the average fan these days just has these stupid expectations and expect the greatest fight and greatest card every time out, they basically ruin it for themselves. Go study these guys, there's so much talent and interesting up and comers.

There's definitely too many scrubs on the roster.

WMMA certainly doesn't help..

Its shite now. Most cards have 1 or 2 good fights. Occasionally there is a stacked card. I will record it and fast forward some fights and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My time is more valuable than watching shit fighters and shit fights.
I'm still a big fan but the old days were golden.
I remember waiting a month for a card and every fight was something to really look forward to

I would say that my apathy towards MMA is in its growth phase

While mma is definitely watered down , the biggest reason you don't get as excited anymore is likely because you are 10 years older and mma is not new to you anymore. I love basketbal , but I definitely don't get excited about it like I did 10 years ago when I was a teenager

Yeah. Seems like they don't even care anymore after the main and co-main. We're lucky now if we get a respectable co-main, let alone a strong whole undercard.

The ads-milking in between fights is excruciating

While mma is definitely watered down , the biggest reason you don't get as excited anymore is likely because you are 10 years older and mma is not new to you anymore. I love basketbal , but I definitely don't get excited about it like I did 10 years ago when I was a teenager

Is it because a tall black guy railed your wife?

God damn WMMA spreading its disease to every damn card.

There are literally 4 female cans co-main eventing in the next 3 fight nights.

Disgusting.

Yeah I just turned off the Jones card after the Lewis fight and I watched the main event the next morning. I almost fell asleep before the Conor main event as well.

What's even worse is that Conor, Jones and Romero are some of my favourite fighters but all the shit before it just really turns me off from the card.

I get just as excited watching the NFL now as I did when I was a kid. Maybe more so.
MMA has definitely gone the other way for me.

The final product simply isn't as good to watch, and I don't think people can even argue it.

It’s just quite a different game than it was during the early 2000’s or I think as the golden age, even up unto about 10 years ago... I used to know all the fighters on every main card minimum, fewer events, a smaller roster, and fighters competed more frequently (Champs in particular) this allowed for more emotional investment into the fighters you liked or did not (I’m looking at you Brawk)... LoL. Obviously factor in age, family, priorities, ect... I’m there with you, in the sense of excitement and build up before the event being meh these days, also I’m getting long in the tooth haha. But MMA is one of the few interests I’ve kept since my younger training days, up until now... so it’s not like it was, but regardless I’m still a great fan of the combat sports and my son is now starting to show interest, I’m definitely here to stay.

Yeah, bloated roster is full of guys that aren’t UFC caliber. Add in most cards having at least 3 WMMA bouts where majority are snoozefests. Plus while having frequent cards is nice in a way, it also leads to less stacked cards and less anticipation between cards.

of course...all the great stars have retired or left the UFC

Back