Anyone else not excited about fight cards like they used to be?

Bu11etproof_JBE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to know every fighter in every weight class. The entire card. I was so pumped for Liddell vs Couture II, with Hughes vs Trigg III as the co main event. The card created buzz everywhere during a time when MMA was absolutely exploding.

Now, there are so many fighters, so many fight cards, everyone is trying to outdue the next guy on the microphone. It almost feels, just watered down. I dont even care about half the cards anymore. People dont talk about the fights like they used to.

Now, I look at a card and see yababa nakumrarala vs laffi taffi sakie dakie , and I think to myself "who in the fuck are these guys?" I google them to see they started fighting in like 2016.

Meh, I dont know. The sport feels so watered down these days. Not like it used to be. I dont think it will ever be as good as it was. If any of you say it's better, you weren't following back then.

Yes, WMMA, watered down card and lame American production with a huge amount of downtime for commercials ruins the product a lot.

Often it's better to just watch the card the next day and skip all the breaks.

Its turned into boxing. They are selling cards in the main event only anymore. It's cheaper to do it rhat way. Fill the card with fighters with 12k-12k salaries and have one big fight and make a bigger profit.

To me,it’s better than ever .I like the large roster,near weekly fight cards all over the globe and high churn rate at the bottom of the divisions .You still have your stars at the top,”middle class” of solid professional fighters and the opportunity to discover unknown talent any given week.I also like the ESPN deal and all that brings with it so maybe I’m in the minority in how it stands these days

Well, I'm now a fckng casual, so yeah.

Well, I'm now a fckng casual, so yeah.
Hate yo admit but this. I used to ve the guy to educate people on the up and comers now I'm like who the fuck are these guys? I've watched cards and looked up fighters to be amazed they have fought in the ufc like 10x and u had no clue.

You're not a fan of MMA you just miss your beloved fighters of yesteryear
Dont worry HW is basically still the old days

my interest has waned over the past few years. i imagine it's due to a combination of factors-

1. age. i hit 50 last year, and naturally my interests have changed over time. mma just isnt as important to me as it used to be.
2. time spent watching the sport. it's been over 20 years for me. as the saying goes- familiarity breeds contempt. mind you, i dont find mma contemptible, but i do find myself looking at other entertainment more frequently.
3. the current fighters' social media and other outside the cage/ring antics annoy me. i've never been a fan of a-holes, bullies, loud-mouths, or anyone being fake to drum up publicity, but it seems the fighters feel that is the best way to get recognized/placed in high-profile fights these days.

i'm sure there are more reasons, but those immediately came to mind for me.

The co-main event now needs to be all the time WMAA its so bad that i only watch the main event

I'm just here to start the wave of posts taking the op like a personal rejection.

Well good riddance, TS. Don't let the door hit ya on the nads.

I'm terribly excited about fight cards like they used to be!

They def went for max profits on Conor's last fight

Bunch of nobodies on the main card and they paid Cowboy fuck all and they still want to force Conor-Khabib rematch down our throats lmao

I used to know every fighter in every weight class. The entire card. I was so pumped for Liddell vs Couture II, with Hughes vs Trigg III as the co main event. The card created buzz everywhere during a time when MMA was absolutely exploding.

Now, there are so many fighters, so many fight cards, everyone is trying to outdue the next guy on the microphone. It almost feels, just watered down. I dont even care about half the cards anymore. People dont talk about the fights like they used to.

Now, I look at a card and see yababa nakumrarala vs laffi taffi sakie dakie , and I think to myself "who in the fuck are these guys?" I google them to see they started fighting in like 2016.

Meh, I dont know. The sport feels so watered down these days. Not like it used to be. I dont think it will ever be as good as it was. If any of you say it's better, you weren't following back then.
I take a break from time to time just so I don't get jaded with the sport. Other sports have the advantage of only airing during specific seasons. This allows you to chill and build up excitement again when the season swings back around. You may benefit from taking a break from MMA and coming back after a couple months.

Yes, WMMA, watered down card and lame American production with a huge amount of downtime for commercials ruins the product a lot.

Often it's better to just watch the card the next day and skip all the breaks.

God damn WMMA spreading its disease to every damn card.

There are literally 4 female cans co-main eventing in the next 3 fight nights.

Disgusting.

UFC expanded their number of shows without having the roster to back it up.

Therefore lots and lots of filler fights needed.

It's over-saturated. Too many cards, almost one every week. Once a month was great.

I still get excited for a great card, but even the ppv cards are often pretty weak nowadays.

248 looks good.

UFC is not pushing fighters like they used to. So many fight cards that they all just blend together and before you can start to get excited about a fight that just happened or a amazing performance, there is another card to take away that thunder.

I remember cards where I was equally as excited about some undercard fights as the main event. Now if I get a good main with a somewhat decent co-main I'm feeling like I'm doing as well as could be expected in this current environment. That's a shame. The roster is probably as large as it's ever been but it's quantity not quality.

Back