Anyone else have a "black dog"?

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
About twice a year I get, for lack of a better term "spells". I have been to the doctor hundreds of times. Been through every test under the sun. Thyroid, Heart, STD's (I have 2 healthy kids so this one wasn't much a worry) Cat Scans, Ultra sounds, EKG, endocrinologist etc. etc. Nothing...at least nothing biologically wrong.

It could be a mild form of chronic fatigue, or inner ear allergies, or just some chemical imbalance in my brain that gives me a "foggy" "dizzy-ish" feeling. I started BJJ in January. I go from training 5 times a week to not wanting to move. I feel clouded up and I can't seem to shake it for about a week. I mean, I go to work, live normally but with this "heavy head". A general malaise. Last night I wanted to go train, but I was just to light-headed. It started Saturday. And haven't trained in any form since. Each day after the first onset on Saturday it has progressivley improved, like it always does. If I could train tonight I probably would, but I can't until tomorrow, so I am hoping for Wed, Thurs, and Sat training this week.

Anyone else have "mental" or "spells"? How do you deal? I know it is only a week in the big picture but I have only been in BJJ since Jan and hitting the gym the other days, and it is killing me I can't and DON't want to train (that is scaring me more that I don't want to train).
If you have this similar problem, do you go and train and "work" it out of you? Do you pass out? Are you fatigued immediately?

Winston Chruchill called his bouts of depression his "black dog".

Yes. I got it with the rest of Zeppelin IV.

Seriously though, it sounds physiological more than psychological.

Yes. I got it with the rest of Zeppelin IV.

Seriously though, it sounds physiological more than psychological.

About twice a year I get, for lack of a better term "spells". I have been to the doctor hundreds of times. Been through every test under the sun. Thyroid, Heart, STD's (I have 2 healthy kids so this one wasn't much a worry) Cat Scans, Ultra sounds, EKG, endocrinologist etc. etc. Nothing...at least nothing biologically wrong.

It could be a mild form of chronic fatigue, or inner ear allergies, or just some chemical imbalance in my brain that gives me a "foggy" "dizzy-ish" feeling. I started BJJ in January. I go from training 5 times a week to not wanting to move. I feel clouded up and I can't seem to shake it for about a week. I mean, I go to work, live normally but with this "heavy head". A general malaise. Last night I wanted to go train, but I was just to light-headed. It started Saturday. And haven't trained in any form since. Each day after the first onset on Saturday it has progressivley improved, like it always does. If I could train tonight I probably would, but I can't until tomorrow, so I am hoping for Wed, Thurs, and Sat training this week.

Anyone else have "mental" or "spells"? How do you deal? I know it is only a week in the big picture but I have only been in BJJ since Jan and hitting the gym the other days, and it is killing me I can't and DON't want to train (that is scaring me more that I don't want to train).
If you have this similar problem, do you go and train and "work" it out of you? Do you pass out? Are you fatigued immediately?

Winston Chruchill called his bouts of depression his "black dog".

This sounds like a bummer, I don't have experiences like this, but I have severe insomnia that comes and goes, and the doctors don't know what is wrong. During these times, training is really tough on me.

I guess since the doctors don't know what is wrong with you, you just kind of have to do your best to get along during these bouts. It sucks that you aren't able to train, but you have to do what is best for you and listen to your body, take comfort in knowing that there are some people out there who have issues so debilitating that they couldn't train period.

I hope it works out, Bob.

Also, Jerry had to care for a black dog named Farfel that caused him all kinds of problems. So much so that he missed out on seeing "Prognosis Negative".

Have you been able to get to the doc on a 1st / 2nd day of one of these? If it's transient, it may be that whatever is happening corrects itself by the time you get in for tests. See if you can arrange with your doc for a test battery ASAP next time it happens, catch it first day and see if the test results are any different than the baselines you already have.

Have you been able to get to the doc on a 1st / 2nd day of one of these? If it's transient, it may be that whatever is happening corrects itself by the time you get in for tests. See if you can arrange with your doc for a test battery ASAP next time it happens, catch it first day and see if the test results are any different than the baselines you already have.

Yes, same results. Nothing wrong.

Psysiological is what this is. It is more of an annoyance than anything else. But it stops you dead in your tracks. Last week I had my best week on the mat since I started. Saturday was my best cardio day I have had since I started and boom, Saturday night I am on the couch not wanting to train ever again...

Have you seen a psychologist? Is it accompanied by anxiety? It could be an anxiety disorder.

Sorry man, that sucks. There's a guy over in the S&P forums who trains as best he can around severe ulcerative collitis. Of course he frequently gets setbacks and misses training, but he gets right back at it every time. That dude is a bad-ass for sticking with it and making gains despite the setbacks, and so are you. Train twice as hard next week when you feel right.

Good luck.

I have been to the doctor hundreds of times. Been through every test under the sun. Thyroid, Heart, STD's (I have 2 healthy kids so this one wasn't much a worry) Cat Scans, Ultra sounds, EKG, endocrinologist etc. etc. Nothing...at least nothing biologically wrong.

Did they do blood tests? Red and White Blood cells, and Platelets, could be Anemia. LDL and HDL cholesterol and triglycerides. How is your blood pressure?

Then it might be depression?

Yeah, I have thought of that. Thing is, it lasts for like a week and only like twice a year. It just sucks that it physically and mentally shuts me down. Oh yeah, they gave me paxl about 7 years ago. It still happens. All paxl does is not get me pissed when it does happen...lol

Yeah, I have thought of that. Thing is, it lasts for like a week and only like twice a year. It just sucks that it physically and mentally shuts me down. Oh yeah, they gave me paxl about 7 years ago. It still happens. All paxl does is not get me pissed when it does happen...lol

Is that an anti-depressant? Sorry not familiar with the names there.... I would see a good doctor and discuss that possibility.

Hope you feel better!

Some version of Bi-Polar? It's been diagnosed more and more lately.

could have something to do with sleep deprivation. recent study suggested that less than 8 hours of sleep a day can lead to health problems.

i know me, for example, my body (especially my brain) suffers horribly from lack of sleep. over the last 5 days ive been studying 10-12 hours a day for finals, and sunday i woke up w/ a massive migraine and couldn't even drive my car. went back to sleep and thank god i had a really deep nap that refreshed me.

but ive also had those "spells" where i get very dizzy and light headed, feeling as though i am about to pass out. it is like being in a RNC (go bjj!). always happens when i am overworked, exhausted or not getting enough sleep.

just throwing an idea out there for you. if you get less than 8 hours of sleep a day, try getting 8-10 and not catching up on weekends as a lot of people do.

Back