Anyone else complete out of touch?

Having a retro game has its own strengths. When I played chess a lot I used retro strategies and it threw a lot of people off-guard - I've found the same to be true in BJJ. Going retro is fun because you have a huge amount of resources to pull upon with a lot of old grapplers giving amazing nuances.

whats considered retro to you man some say de la riva is retro i find that funny

This is me, but for MMA.
Same. I'm not the hardest of hardcore (I'm not out here watching Pancrase 217 or Jungle Fight etc) but in terms of mainstream mma it's rare I meet someone in real life who knows as much as I do. Even at jiu jitsu or mma class.

Same. I'm not the hardest of hardcore (I'm not out here watching Pancrase 217 or Jungle Fight etc) but in terms of mainstream mma it's rare I meet someone in real life who knows as much as I do. Even at jiu jitsu or mma class.
unfortunately their isnt much on meta of grappling for mma at high levels today youll see a breakdown on what a guy does but no true rules on things like bjj has

whats considered retro to you man some say de la riva is retro i find that funny
I like basic closed guard arm drags and flower sweeps, half and deep half (Bernardo Faria), single and double underhook passing, open guard hook sweeps; on top over-under passes and underhook ala Fabio Gurgel and Bernardo Faria. Some of it is still used by top guys but it's been around absolutely forever - maybe "timeless" is a better word than retro

I feel like this in jiu jitsu a lot where all my gym people are talking about what who did what and I'm like "I know Rickson". I don't follow a lot of social media stuff and tbh don't care. I know no gi stuff has been more popular, but like can't I just enjoy rolling at my gym without knowing who did donkey technique on who?

I used to low key hate on these people and liked being unaware of the bjj comp scene.

I came to the conclusion that its OK to be a fan or the sport. It's even OK to be a bigger fan of the sport than the practice of it. Others just like to stay on the cutting edge or at least use it as a veil for being fans of the sport. I think that's OK too.

Many ways to enjoy the sport.

Ironically while donkey guard is new ish, I consider Jeff Glover to be now part of the "old guard".

I like basic closed guard arm drags and flower sweeps, half and deep half (Bernardo Faria), single and double underhook passing, open guard hook sweeps; on top over-under passes and underhook ala Fabio Gurgel and Bernardo Faria. Some of it is still used by top guys but it's been around absolutely forever - maybe "timeless" is a better word than retro

lol you know these kids are wana be "hipsters" when they try to act like deep half is old school jj hell tbh until like 2007 half guard wasnt really a game and was used as means to shrimp back to full/open guard the udnerhook half got big around 07 id say guys were doing it well before then in top tournaments ect but most gyms didnt till around that time and the game was basically trying to use the udnerhook to go to the back if they whizzer they would try to do the roll over sweep that was the first hg game i remember being big besides bravos old school electric chair stuff

fabio use to be my fav i remember a vid was pout out of him rollin with garcia and him passing his guard and making life miserable was crazy to see hes the true king of the smash pass

Having a retro game has its own strengths. When I played chess a lot I used retro strategies and it threw a lot of people off-guard - I've found the same to be true in BJJ. Going retro is fun because you have a huge amount of resources to pull upon with a lot of old grapplers giving amazing nuances.
Exactly.

Also no one is studying it so instead of people doing research trying to figure out what you're doing they just kind of write you off as someone with a left-field game. I've found that doing some retro game stuff can go on for quite a while before people start getting frustrated enough to try and go online looking for ways to beat it. A lot of my game is late 00's and early 10's Marcelo and Paragon stuff. Things that are still given respect but not necessarily being broken down and dissected at the moment. It's nice to have at least some things in the arsenal that aren't currently a part of any "counter/re-counter/BJJ arm's race/meta-game."

BJJ is funny because everything is so trendy and people jump on whatever is hot at the moment, and yet almost everything that has ever worked at a high level is still very effective.

Same as you and @EndlessCritic

I have a borderline photographic memory and a lot of stuff I just retain. I used to be able to recall entire UFC cards and entire ADCC brackets and things like that. I could be like "Oh yeah, that 2nd Frankie Edgar fight was the 1st BJ Penn fight where he stopped wearing the white shorts with the black belt graphic on it." That's not the kind of thing anyone would go out of their way to remember, but my brain just picks things up like that.

It's also been surprisingly a gift and a curse when training. I've was so good at retaining info in the early stages that at blue belt and purple belt I overthought everything and had paralysis by analysis.

Some of that esoteric knowledge has faded in recent years but I still have a surprising amount of it.

I got into BJJ because of MMA and I still only pay attention to MMA. I'll watch an occasional match and I am aware of what the trends are (Hard to miss the leglock revolution) but BJJ is just too boring to follow.
Even though I haven't wrestled competitively for almost 10 years and competed in a BJJ tournament a month ago, I still watch more college wrestling.

I got into BJJ because of MMA and I still only pay attention to MMA. I'll watch an occasional match and I am aware of what the trends are (Hard to miss the leglock revolution) but BJJ is just too boring to follow.
Even though I haven't wrestled competitively for almost 10 years and competed in a BJJ tournament a month ago, I still watch more college wrestling.
Also there's just so much to keep up with right? There are streamable MMA and BJJ events every single weekend now.

What I've done is just picked maybe a handful of athletes in MMA and another handful in BJJ. In BJJ they're usually people that are either at the top of the game or have a game similar to mine that I can study. I more or less keep up with what they've got going on. Besides that the only full events I usually catch are ADCC and MMA cards that feature super big fights. For example I'll definitely be watching the Tony vs Khabib card because they are 2 of the main 5 or 6 people in MMA I still keep up with.

Also there's just so much to keep up with right? There are streamable MMA and BJJ events every single weekend now.

What I've done is just picked maybe a handful of athletes in MMA and another handful in BJJ. In BJJ they're usually people that are either at the top of the game or have a game similar to mine that I can study. I more or less keep up with what they've got going on. Besides that the only full events I usually catch are ADCC and MMA cards that feature super big fights. For example I'll definitely be watching the Tony vs Khabib card because they are 2 of the main 5 or 6 people in MMA I still keep up with.
Watching BJJ and MMA is different for me. As I said, I don't watch too much BJJ, but when I do I get technique and learn things from it. I still watch every UFC and most Bellators because I'm a dork who likes story lines.

Watching BJJ and MMA is different for me. As I said, I don't watch too much BJJ, but when I do I get technique and learn things from it. I still watch every UFC and most Bellators because I'm a dork who likes story lines.
That's cool. I'd watch more MMA but I wish I understood the striking better. I'm like an inverted casual fan. At this point the striking is so evolved that I sort of have a hard time following who is doing better on the feet unless one fighter is clearly out performing the other. At this point I'm much better at following wrestling and ground exchanges than I am standing exchanges.

It used to be easier because it seemed like whoever was getting pressed backwards on the feet was losing. Or if someone was orthodox I could tell if they were losing and being forced to switch stances. But now so many strikers fight moving backwards, at crazier angles, switching stances all throughout a fight, and throwing many more creative strikes. I just have a hard time following the striking game as much.

I feel like this in jiu jitsu a lot where all my gym people are talking about what who did what and I'm like "I know Rickson". I don't follow a lot of social media stuff and tbh don't care. I know no gi stuff has been more popular, but like can't I just enjoy rolling at my gym without knowing who did donkey technique on who?
I'm definitely out of touch. What makes me so dangerous.<Rodgers1>

Back