Anyone else complete out of touch?

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel like this in jiu jitsu a lot where all my gym people are talking about what who did what and I'm like "I know Rickson". I don't follow a lot of social media stuff and tbh don't care. I know no gi stuff has been more popular, but like can't I just enjoy rolling at my gym without knowing who did donkey technique on who?

You would be fine.

My team mate who is a 2 degrees BB does not follow bjj scene had a funny story.

He sparred with Claudio calassans.
It was at the kodokan and they both wearing judo gi and judo belt.
First they were sparring tachiwaza which fight for throws. ..

My friend was getting thrown heaps so he decided to take it the ground and just do newaza. He thought they he will get the upper hand because he did not know the guy is also a atos BB.
He got totally owned and later Claudio properly introduced himself.
Lol.

Let put this way.
If roger Gracie cane to our dojo and just wore a white belt.
My friend would roll with him and get smashed. Then he would say something like : " this white belt is thought".

He just does not follow the bjj scene at all

I feel like this in jiu jitsu a lot where all my gym people are talking about what who did what and I'm like "I know Rickson". I don't follow a lot of social media stuff and tbh don't care. I know no gi stuff has been more popular, but like can't I just enjoy rolling at my gym without knowing who did donkey technique on who?
tbh you dont need to if you are a colored belt i feel youll do better off actually just doing what your coach says he knows your game and should know what you need to work on not what YOU THINK you need to work on its funny how today people think they have to go online and see what rafa mendes is doing and thats the only way and their instructor is "OLD SKOOL"

remember online training is a supplement only. to pick up a few tricks until your able to hold guys down in mount for a s ong as you want ad side control ect u really dont need to try to learn new fancy things

You would be fine.

My team mate who is a 2 degrees BB does not follow bjj scene had a funny story.

He sparred with Claudio calassans.
It was at the kodokan and they both wearing judo gi and judo belt.
First they were sparring tachiwaza which fight for throws. ..

My friend was getting thrown heaps so he decided to take it the ground and just do newaza. He thought they he will get the upper hand because he did not know the guy is also a atos BB.
He got totally owned and later Claudio properly introduced himself.
Lol.

Let put this way.
If roger Gracie cane to our dojo and just wore a white belt.
My friend would roll with him and get smashed. Then he would say something like : " this white belt is thought".

He just does not follow the bjj scene at all
tbh i stopped following the gi scene around 2012 didnt like what keenan was doing and the 5050 gi berinbolo stuff i like sports jiu jitsu but not when it gets to far away from fighting as mma is my ultimate goal i feel around that time is when it really changed and got crazy with the lapell guards ect

Out of touch and proud. Lapel guards are stupid. Grappling innovations in MMA are far more interesting to me.

Out of touch and proud. Lapel guards are stupid. Grappling innovations in MMA are far more interesting to me.

Exactly how much lapel guard is being played? I thought it was a passing fad was used by keenan. If i saw the last 3 worlds finals how much lapel guard would i see?

Exactly how much lapel guard is being played? I thought it was a passing fad was used by keenan. If i saw the last 3 worlds finals how much lapel guard would i see?
How would I know, i'm completely out of touch ;)

I'm like you TS. Well... I keep up a little. I know the biggest names at the moment, Gordon Ryan, Craig Jones, Lachlan Giles etc etc etc, and the legends Marcelo, Roger, Rafa etc etc etc.

But I very rarely watch any events or know the particulars of a certain match.

One of my coaches is the opposite. Obsessed. And not just with the major comps. He's always teaching a technique, then turns to me and says something like "Fernando Prateres won the 1997 South Brazil open with this move." and I just nod and agree like I have a clue who he's talking about.

same i do play some de la riva stuff and reverse spinning under ect but thats as sport as i get with my open guard

One of my coaches is the opposite. Obsessed. And not just with the major comps. He's always teaching a technique, then turns to me and says something like "Fernando Prateres won the 1997 South Brazil open with this move." and I just nod and agree like I have a clue who he's talking about.
This is me, but for MMA.

I didn't watch a lot of 2019 worlds because I was on vacation(near the Long Beach Pyramid). 2018 World champ Jamil Hill-Taylor has a good lapel game. He used it in the finals.

I have the opposite body type of keenan. Short and chubby. But I've been experimenting with Lapel takedowns/ sweeps in the gym and those shits work. Rest of the lapel stuff is not for me. I don't think it's gamebreaking but it's fun.
He hit it on Ali(Black belt world champ) and Roberto Jimenez(colored belt world champ) recently.

tbh you dont need to if you are a colored belt i feel youll do better off actually just doing what your coach says he knows your game and should know what you need to work on not what YOU THINK you need to work on its funny how today people think they have to go online and see what rafa mendes is doing and thats the only way and their instructor is "OLD SKOOL"

remember online training is a supplement only. to pick up a few tricks until your able to hold guys down in mount for a s ong as you want ad side control ect u really dont need to try to learn new fancy things

I would not necessarily say that. Rafa Mendes is almost for sure a better teacher than your local coach. The AOJ website almost for sure shows more counters to counters than your local coach will show.

Your local coach is able to correct the moves he teaches. Does that overcome the (in most cases) vast lead that Rafa Mendes has in teaching the initial technique and counters?

For me, maybe. Depends on the coach, but is not a guarantee.

I would not necessarily say that. Rafa Mendes is almost for sure a better teacher than your local coach. The AOJ website almost for sure shows more counters to counters than your local coach will show.

Your local coach is able to correct the moves he teaches. Does that overcome the (in most cases) vast lead that Rafa Mendes has in teaching the initial technique and counters?

For me, maybe. Depends on the coach, but is not a guarantee.

\obviously rafa is but its pathetic when white nd blues have 0 respect for their coach being like but but but rafa does this insteadddd in this position.. always trying to hold their coach tot he standards of the best guys i find thats why today colored belts truly lack defense and strong fundamentals they try to hard to develop this fancy open guard game from the get go and fancy passes before they truly have a good grasp on base

i personally tell my students to not try to go online and learn cause i know my students games and i know what they need to work on by watching them roll i actually take my job serious when coaching and i know all my athletes strengths weaknesses if i find they should play a certain game i WILL tell them to go look at a certain guy for them to get a good grasp on what they should be doing

looking back now iv almost been in bjj 15 years after my first year in is when i started to try to research online and at that time 2006 7 eddie bravo was on the rage with rubber guard ad twister stuff and didnt wana do anything gracie related trying to be "new skool" realized about 6 months into that right after got my blue that it just didnt work good for me and not that his system is bad but at that time in my development i had no business trying to use it tbh..i could catch white belts easily but nobody above blue and hardly even blues with rubber guard stuff

going back i feel around purple is when i understood grappling deep enough to where i could go online and truly develop a good game and make it work well for me and not that i wasnt good i won a tournament at blue in open tournament where i subbed 3 browns as a blue so it wast that i was just below most people .

i tell my guys that id prefer them not really go online but if they do wait till at least blue belt till you have your fundamentals and base slid i have a test for blue and purple to make sure no basics slipped through the cracks. i think ud be surpised if you snatched up a purple and asked him to show some basic stuff and see him mess lots of stuff up thats why i believe in doing testing at blue t make sure they got their shit down

I'm like you TS. Well... I keep up a little. I know the biggest names at the moment, Gordon Ryan, Craig Jones, Lachlan Giles etc etc etc, and the legends Marcelo, Roger, Rafa etc etc etc.

But I very rarely watch any events or know the particulars of a certain match.

well his job in life is teaching this so i feel a bjj coach SHOULD if his jo is only to teach bjj

when i was teaching full time i didnt focus on current gi bjj tbh cause was teaching mma bjj and boxing and wasnt needed since highest ranking student i had was a purple

This is me, but for MMA.
we should talk and exchange ideas then my umtilate thing is evolving grappling for mma mixing wrestling with bjj you are more of a judo guy right? i only know about 7 judo throws tbh the oens that work best for no gi

uchi mata, harai goshi, ouchi gari, drop seionage are the only throws i use in judo for mma

I actually agree with you that people before purple shouldn't go online. People get analysis paralysis. They should put their faith in their coach and trust his guidance.

With that said going online is too tempting and people are going to do it. It also plays a large part in getting new guys excited about bjj however. Anything that motivates people to train is a good thing in my eyes.

Having a retro game has its own strengths. When I played chess a lot I used retro strategies and it threw a lot of people off-guard - I've found the same to be true in BJJ. Going retro is fun because you have a huge amount of resources to pull upon with a lot of old grapplers giving amazing nuances.

I actually agree with you that people before purple shouldn't go online. People get analysis paralysis. They should put their faith in their coach and trust his guidance.

With that said going online is too tempting and people are going to do it. It also plays a large part in getting new guys excited about bjj however. Anything that motivates people to train is a good thing in my eyes.

i agree there grapplings a art about experience tbh just because you know more moves doesnt make you better for instance a old school gracie bb vs some blue belt with 2 years and just reads about berinbolos ect isnt the better grapplers cause he has 100 moves that hes drilled maybe 3 times.

he doesnt understand base properly or know how to put proper pressure when needed and grappling awareness this is something no dvd can give you.. and tbh these are the things grapplers need to try to learn early on vs trying to do fancy stuff

bjj is the only combat art where guys dont drill near as much as other arts like boxing kick boxing wrestling thats why so many guys fail at attacks i feel thats why im a super firm believer at first getting your guys super solid at strong fundamentals from the mount the back side control guard passing thennnn stat to re search other stuff for yourself once you can dominate with the so called basics.

i like my guys to have 3 different types of guard beside closed guard half guard butterfly and collar and sleeve guard are the fundamental guards i teach and at around 2 stripe blue i start tot each de la riva guard as well and at purple i feel guys are well rounded strong enough to mess with new stuff

Back