Anyone else catch Emmanuel Steward's ethnic comment?

prosa123

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It was just before Ponce de Leon/Lopez. Either Lampley or Kellerman, I don't remember which, mentioned that Lopez is father to five children, two of his own and three stepchildren from his wife's prior marriage. Steward then said in effect that Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters are better family men, better husbands and fathers, than ones "from some other groups."

He must've realized what he said wasn't right, because he didn't say anything more on the topic. Lampley and Kellerman didn't say anything either.

I never thought I'd see a politically correct guy on a boxing forum - I hope you're not one of those people

Somehow I fail to see this garnering anything near the reaction of Howard Cosell and his "little monkey" comment.

Steward then said in effect that Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters are better family men, better husbands and fathers, than ones "from some other groups."

Why is everyone always picking on the Irish

evander-holyfield15.jpg

- I did not care for those comments

Somehow I fail to see this garnering anything near the reaction of Howard Cosell and his "little monkey" comment.

It's possible that Lampley or Kellermann would have gotten in more trouble had they made the comment instead of Steward.

I doubt anything was made of the comment. He didn't say out which "other groups." Blacks? Whites? Eskimos?

I doubt anything was made of the comment. He didn't say out which "other groups." Blacks? Whites? Eskimos?

Well he said Peurto Rican/Mexican thats a nationality not a race,No need to compare this comment exactly to other races.Their culture is simply more familly oriented due to various factors:)

Nah, the just don't like to use condoms because of their religion. That's why they all have kids up the ass.

looks like one of those idiots from the War Room slithered in here

ok seeing as how someone else brougth this topic up. i've always thought that emmanuel stewart is some what of a racist(atleast when it comes to boxing)by that i mean he glorifies black boxers alot more than other fighters i hope im not the only one who has noticed this but he doesn't give whites or mexicans the credit that he gives black fighters. just my toughts yall can start the flaming im ready for it

What was Lampley to say? That dude gets in trouble for tuning his wife up.

Lampley is an idiot. I hate that guy. He's always yelling for the ref to stop the fight as soon as the fighter starts taking a litlle bit on punishment.

Back