Anyone else addicted to ice baths?

Eric O

Me > You
@Silver
Reaction score
Back while I was fighting, during camps, we'd fill an old landscaping barrel with water and 10 bags of 711 ice. Then each of us would go in for 20 mins and it was brutal.

A couple years ago when Cryo places started popping up, I gave it a go and fell in love. Was doing it once a week to recover from training and snowboarding (along with jumping in the snow in my underwear after riding all day).

Now with the current ice bath craze going on I started again about a year ago. I only go in for 3-5 mins which is easy and I feel great for the rest of the day.

I've been doing ice baths 3-4 days a week and then cryo once or twice. I feel fucking great and think I'm addicted to the high.

I'm also older at age 40 and have chronic lyme but I still train and work out a few days a week.

Is anyone else here addicted to the cold?

Got an inflatable tub , but hauling an ice chest of ice from work then to back of gym is too much a workout. Only used it once. May just keep the pool clean all winter and keep jumping in.

I dunno. My lyme disease could be a factor. Have you done them multiple times a week and felt nothing?

It will certainly hamper recovery from training if you are a lifter. The science is mixed though. I don't notice anything except getting really cold for no good reason.

Eric O, are you addicted to ice baths because you wanna be a Stoic badass or because you wanna be a Rocky Balboa badass? Either reason is not good.

I think you do what works for you. If you are doing for recovery purposes or lowering inflammation then go for it. I don't believe ice baths are good for hypertrophy gains.

You don't really need to get crazy with the water temperatures. 40-50 degrees tap water during the winter should be fine. It's like a 70-30 water to ice ratio. It's silly to spend 20-30 dollars on ice every time you want to do an ice bath.

Honestly, I think submerging in any water is helpful to me. I notice that I tend to feel better after hot baths, but also after swimming in both warm + cold water.

Honestly, I think submerging in any water is helpful to me. I notice that I tend to feel better after hot baths, but also after swimming in both warm + cold water.
+1 . Being able to stretch out with little resistance and go through full range of movements without pouring sweat.

Eric O, are you addicted to ice baths because you wanna be a Stoic badass or because you wanna be a Rocky Balboa badass? Either reason is not good.

I just want to feel good. Whatever else comes along with it is an ancillary benefit.

It will certainly hamper recovery from training if you are a lifter. The science is mixed though. I don't notice anything except getting really cold for no good reason.

I only lift to prevent injury and look good at this age (40). I'm not trying to lift heavy or build more muscle. I'm 6'3" 205lbs and feel health compared to when I was jacked up and 235lbs.

I think you do what works for you. If you are doing for recovery purposes or lowering inflammation then go for it. I don't believe ice baths are good for hypertrophy gains.

You don't really need to get crazy with the water temperatures. 40-50 degrees tap water during the winter should be fine. It's like a 70-30 water to ice ratio. It's silly to spend 20-30 dollars on ice every time you want to do an ice bath.

I have an ice maker at my house now so I just dumb a bucket or two in. I enjoy temps in the mid to high 40s the best.

I def like hot water for injuries. It improves circulation.

Cold fucking sucks. Most I can manage is a cold shower after training.

That's why I never tried. I'd like to get them for soreness but most of the time, I want it for hypertrophy. I dont know when to actually do it, honestly. A fighter I can see, an athlete too. But a weight lifter? Really, when?

That's why I never tried. I'd like to get them for soreness but most of the time, I want it for hypertrophy. I dont know when to actually do it, honestly. A fighter I can see, an athlete too. But a weight lifter? Really, when?
I think Ice baths aren’t really viable if you lift weights for hypertrophy/strength. They increase recovery but at the expense of adaptation. Maybe there is some use if someone wants to break a PR and is currently in a Smolov type cycle and they need to recover for the next session. I honestly don't know.

Luke Stoltman swears by cold water therapy. He's also very lucky where he lives in Scotland a lot of the bodies of water are cold as fuck

Back