anyone competing in NAGA on Oct 23rd in Hoboken

i'm thinking about doing it. i'll have about 4 months no-gi at the time. if i do, it'll be in novice no-gi at either 139 or 149 depending how i'm weighing then.

alexgncw said:
SANDBAGGER! :icon_evil

crap its only like 1 extra month and I only train
1 day no-gi and
1 day gi and
1 day MMA
and what about my summer vacations I went on in the summer....:)

my coach told me compete at novice...make sure I get a good spot on there and then move up

and it's my first tourney

how lenient are they on divisions???btw

ShadowNINku said:
crap its only like 1 extra month and I only train
1 day no-gi and
1 day gi and
1 day MMA
and what about my summer vacations I went on in the summer....:)

my coach told me compete at novice...make sure I get a good spot on there and then move up

and it's my first tourney

how lenient are they on divisions???btw
dude there're gonna be guys there with 2 months training when come tourney time you will have 8 months how fair is that?

it makes no diff how many days a week you train (3x/week is more then a lot of people by the way) because the rules don't state that

thats absolutely not cool, i'm against this because on my first tournament when i had about 7-8 weeks of training i ended up going against some jackass with almost 9 months of training and obviously had no chance which was extremely discouraging considering i spent months training hard for it and was at the level i needed to be at to have a fair chance at winning it just to have some cheater ruin it

your coach who is also a dick for saying it is telling you to compete novice to make his school look better ... no matter how you look at it you are breaking the rules, cheating, and making it completely unfair to other competitors at the tourney who are fighting in their div ... i know people who compete in intermediate and have maybe 14 months experience (could they compete in the div below and streamroll everyone? yes. do they? no because there's no challenge in it for them)

seriously makes me wanna ask my brother to sandbag at your div just to teach you a lesson so you understand how messed up that is and don't do it again

alexgncw, you're pretty much right but you're being a little harsh on the guy. imo, he should be in the next divions up with 8 months experience come naga time, but sandbaggerdom kicks in at a much higher level than that. im talking about 10 years of hs/collegiate wrestling, 3 years judo, and 10 months bjj competing in novice. i also dont think winning lower divions means shit for your school...performance jiu jitsu and tiger schullman's karate would then be considered the best grappling academies on the east coast because they flood every childrens, teens and low level adult bracket and frequently place.

maybe

if so, i'll be doing heavyweight no gi novice & whitebelt BJJ

colinm said:
alexgncw, you're pretty much right but you're being a little harsh on the guy. imo, he should be in the next divions up with 8 months experience come naga time, but sandbaggerdom kicks in at a much higher level than that. im talking about 10 years of hs/collegiate wrestling, 3 years judo, and 10 months bjj competing in novice. i also dont think winning lower divions means shit for your school...performance jiu jitsu and tiger schullman's karate would then be considered the best grappling academies on the east coast because they flood every childrens, teens and low level adult bracket and frequently place.
sandbagging = lying about the amount of training you have to go down to a lower level thus if you say you've had 6 months when you really had 7 or 8 you are sandbagging

and yes winning lower divisions means everything to the schools as far as the mainstream public is concerned thats why tiger schulman's grappling team makes so much money because they place in those tourneys and people who don't know any better (90% of the general public) assume they're the best and go to train there making them more money which is what the instructors want

alright alright, it is technically sandbagging...but, fuckin a, life's a bitch. im a new blue belt and ill be going up against people who have been training for 5 and six years sometimes.

and if someone is fucking retarted enough to go to a children's karate academy with a grappling program for high level bjj training fuck them...why not see who is fighting in the superfight and train with them/their instructor?

colinm said:

thankyou....It's not extreme but still counts as bagging true :redface: ....anyways since other people are probably doing it then fine, after this one, which is my first* I will go up, I need to get a feel for competition first...
p.s.
who competes weeks within training???
so what about people who cut large amount of weight???

I'm not doing it to hurt anyone unlike someone here who admitted to inviting someone down on purpose and really mess things up so who is worse by far?

I am sure that there are people who sandbag in terms of months belts and years, the correct thing for you to say is no sandbagging no matter how small or large.
After this I will hopefully be ranked and that's that, I can't go back down

alexgncw said:
sandbagging = lying about the amount of training you have to go down to a lower level thus if you say you've had 6 months when you really had 7 or 8 you are sandbagging

and yes winning lower divisions means everything to the schools as far as the mainstream public is concerned thats why tiger schulman's grappling team makes so much money because they place in those tourneys and people who don't know any better (90% of the general public) assume they're the best and go to train there making them more money which is what the instructors want

take a chill pill man.

Back