Anyone been sort of deaf for a couple of weeks?

fingercuffs

36CFIST
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had the hearing test in the doctors and I can apparently hear fine but my left ear feels like it's in a bubble and when there's complete silence I can hear a loud ringing. Two sounds at the same time I can't differentiate at all either. Like if there's a kettle and someone's talking I can't hear the talking.

I had a mild cold which started on Dec 30th, my balance was fucked but apart from a few sneezes and this hearing shit I was fine.

On Monday my doc gave me a nose spray and told me to do it for 4/5 days but I gave up yesterday because it screwed up my sinuses.

Anyone?

I had that about 15 years ago. I can't remember if it was a sinus infection or ear infection but it sucked. I could barely hear the teachers talking.

I had that about 15 years ago. I can't remember if it was a sinus infection or ear infection but it sucked. I could barely hear the teachers talking.

What's annoying is for instance in a supermarket the other day they were stacking crates next to the bad ear and it really hurt. Big noises are bad and much more noisy than when my ear was good. So I'm NOT deaf, but in this bubble state, difficult to explain.

Was spotting for a MK19 gunner with no hearing protection on. It's loud when you're behind it, but when you're next to it it's incredible. I lost hearing on that ear for a few years at certain frequencies.

Another time I was under the weather and woke up in the morning to find that drool had run into my ear. I was deaf for months and it drove me nuts. Was a happy day when it started popping and opening back up. I have sensitive hearing and sight, and I'm used to always being in a state of alertness to danger. Losing part of a sense like that was frustrating...as is always having to 180 to hear someone on he wrong side of me. They say your other senses naturally enhance to compensate, but it never felt that way.

Was spotting for a MK19 gunner with no hearing protection on. It's loud when you're behind it, but when you're next to it it's incredible. I lost hearing on that ear for a few years or certain frequencies.

Another time I was under the weather and woke up in the morning to ind that drool had run into my ear. I was deaf or months and it drove me nuts. Was a happy dad when I tarted popping and opening back up. I have sensitive hearing and sight. I'm used to always being in a state of alertness to danger so losing part of a sense like that was frustrating...as is always havin to 180 to hear someone on he wrong side of me. They say your other senses naturally une o compensate, but it never felt that way.

Why on earth would you do that?!

Had the ringing issue about 4 months ago and was freaking out. Scheduled a doc appt but it pretty much cleared on its own within 10 days. By the time I got to the doc, she said my ear looked like it was irritated and retaining water (wtf?) & gave me run of the mill antibiotics.

I have that pretty much all the time. I have had some reconstructive surgery on both eardrums. It really sucks. When I do have a cold or something I might as well be deaf because it's really difficult to hear anything especially in louder places. Learn to read lips is what I did.

Not near deaf but definitely impaired hearing, usually tied to some sort of headcold, sinus infection, or allergies.

You most likely have an ear infection. You're euchastian tube is probably swollen and blocking your ear drum. Go to the doc for antibiotics before your ear drum bursts and you get a middle ear infection.

A rocket blew up on the other side of a Hescoe Barrier when I was in Afghanistan I was safe but I lost my hearing for about 4 days with alot of on and off ringing

Had the ringing issue about 4 months ago and was freaking out. Scheduled a doc appt but it pretty much cleared on its own within 10 days. By the time I got to the doc, she said my ear looked like it was irritated and retaining water (wtf?) & gave me run of the mill antibiotics.
He said he could see some fluid in there, I'm bloody desperate for it to go now though.
I have that pretty much all the time. I have had some reconstructive surgery on both eardrums. It really sucks. When I do have a cold or something I might as well be deaf because it's really difficult to hear anything especially in louder places. Learn to read lips is what I did.
It was definitely connected to the cold, but it was the mildest cold I've ever had which is odd.
Not near deaf but definitely impaired hearing, usually tied to some sort of headcold, sinus infection, or allergies.
Well this nasal spray instigated sinus problems again, I used to suffer from sinusitis so badly in my late teens. It's all connected though, right?
Just a simple failure of awareness, I didn't realize my plugs were out. Firing a 5.56 or 7.62 without protection is doable....40mm? Not so much
You might as well be talking Urdu right now, hun x

A buddy of mine had piece of a q-tip stuck in his ear for like four months without realizing it. He couldn't hear very well out of it, but never knew why until he finally went to the doctor one day.

You most likely have an ear infection. You're euchastian tube is probably swollen and blocking your ear drum. Go to the doc for antibiotics before your ear drum bursts and you get a middle ear infection.

I was hoping for antibiotics when I went to the doc, I thought it was an infection.

I'll insist next week.

No infections just the shooting with no ear protection like Yompton. Didnt realize i had no ear protection til it was too late and shooting started. Tried to make ear protection out of kleenex i had in my pocket. Did zero. Was almost deaf for cpl days. Hope that story helps you in some way. Probly not.

It's sort of difficult walking into a doctor surgery and demanding antibiotics in this country.

My doctor here couldn't even do a pap smear. And yet we pay €300 odd a month in healthcare.

You're from Amsterdam? Im not sure how healthcare is there. However, if a doctor doesn't believe its an infection, then I wouldn't force them to give you antibiotics as not only will they be useless but can also be harmful by leading to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

However if their is fluid, then that definitely means your euchastian tubes are draining. I would suggest going to a local pharmacy and getting psuedoephedrine (sudafed). This will help partially bring down the swelling and help the ear drain.

Besides fluid in the ears, did your dr make any other notes? Redness? irritation? swelling?

I'd make sure to get it checked again soon. You don't want your ear drum to burst. Usually after your ear drum bursts, you will actually feel relief because there is no more pressure built up as the fluid is now draining into your middle ear, but this is bad and you don't want that.

*eustachian

I was deaf for 2 days after an AC/DC concert in 1984. Those fucking canons were load as shit.

You're from Amsterdam? Im not sure how healthcare is there. However, if a doctor doesn't believe its an infection, then I wouldn't force them to give you antibiotics as not only will they be useless but can also be harmful by leading to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

However if their is fluid, then that definitely means your euchastian tubes are draining. I would suggest going to a local pharmacy and getting psuedoephedrine (sudafed). This will help partially bring down the swelling and help the ear drain.

Besides fluid in the ears, did your dr make any other notes? Redness? irritation? swelling?

I'd make sure to get it checked again soon. You don't want your ear drum to burst. Usually after your ear drum bursts, you will actually feel relief because there is no more pressure built up as the fluid is now draining into your middle ear, but this is bad and you don't want that.
I definitely get that, I just think me having a cold and my ear going all wonky at the same time's connected so - infection.

And I wish I'd not read after "burst".

Back