• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone aspire to live outside of the US?

Interesting. Don't remember that being the case when I was looking, but that was quite a while ago.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678
More than 4,600 US students are fully enrolled at Germany universities, an increase of 20% over three years. At the same time, the total student debt in the US has reached $1.3 trillion (£850 billion).

Each semester, Hunter pays a fee of €111 ($120) to the Technical University of Munich (TUM), one of the most highly regarded universities in Europe, to get his degree in physics.

Included in that fee is a public transportation ticket that enables Hunter to travel freely around Munich.

Health insurance for students in Germany is €80 ($87) a month, much less than what Amy would have had to pay in the US to add him to her plan.

"The healthcare gives her peace of mind," says Hunter. "Saving money of course is fantastic for her because she can actually afford this without any loans."

To cover rent, mandatory health insurance and other expenses, Hunter's mother sends him between $6,000-7,000 each year.

At his nearest school back home, the University of South Carolina, that amount would not have covered the tuition fees. Even with scholarships, that would have totalled about $10,000 a year. Housing, books and living expenses would make that number much higher.

Interesting read.

Everyone in the US has something shitty to say about any other area of the country.
The places you say you'd like to live, and the reasons you give, can be found right here in the US if you get out of the city. And by default, all cities are shitholes.

The places you say you'd like to live, and the reasons you give, can be found right here in the US if you get out of the city. And by default, all cities are shitholes.
Then people in cities will say: we have goat food, goat culture, goat music scene, there's nothing to do in the country, etc etc.

I would love for the opportunity to visit Japan it's my number one wish

Part of the big cost isn't just tuition though - it's living in a foreign place and the expectations that come with it. You don't travel to Europe to just sit in your room studying all day - so, people who go there tend to spend money on exploring. There are cheap flights to a dozen different countries, all sorts of sights to see, liquors to drink, operas to see, cuisines to try, etc etc. Not everyone does this but, do yo really expect to go to Europe and not have a significant entertainment budget worked into your time abroad?

But again, that's only part of it. Earlier you expressed concerns about cost of living and on top of the cost of living being more expensive, on average, than a lot of places in the U.S., you also have the "This isn't my backyard" factor. When I was doing my Masters in England, I didn't know where the hell to buy a pots and pans to use in my dorm's kitchen - or bathroom towels or more than basic foodstuffs or... Well, I spent the first month sort of struggling to meet some middling basic necessities and I'm pretty sure I spent more than I had to to do it. And that's the thing - you will need to re-buy a bunch of things you already have in the U.S. You can't cart your whole life over in suitcases.

I found that studying abroad had a lot of unexpected costs associated with it. Some of them were optional, but I know that if I had stayed in the U.S. I could have saved a fair bit of money - but, luckily, I was given a big chunk of change for going to England. If you go to Europe, even if you get your way paid, don't just think about "What will insurance/transit/tuition?" cost - think of the other stuff. It will add up very quickly.

Then people in cities will say: we have goat food, goat culture, goat music scene, there's nothing to do in the country, etc etc.
And I'm glad they do. We don't need those fuckers out here in the country. It's quiet and peaceful and would like it to stay that way.
But you can't have it both ways.

I would love for the opportunity to visit Japan it's my number one wish

I have a cousin that works for a magazine over there and has a japanese wife. Seems to love it, he's been there for years and will probably live out his days there.

People being bigoted in Europe? Yes they can be just like anywhere else. In my experience it really depends on where you go ie changes from country to country region to region. Roma got it very badly when I was a kid I saw them get cursed out, spit on, and even beat up! Without opening a whole can of worms these days it is Asian and Middle Eastern folk bearing the brunt of that. I'm there now actually and I see a bit of it. A few people in businesses being kind of rough to them then nicer to other folks, the guys not being let into bars or clubs I get let into when they're dressed even nicer than I am, being mocked. I went out for a drink and there were a few big groups of girls, like 3 of those guys(Asian) walked in and the girls all vacated instantly. Another day I overheard a group talking shit about Polish people.
No, you don't get my point. I'm not talking about people in the streets. This poster is an official poster from one of the biggest political parties in Switzerland.
It's the same as if the Republican or Democratic party would do something like that in the USA.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm working pretty hard to actively chase down my academic goals. Should have my undergrad by 28, law degree by 30. I've been pretty successfull in forgoing wife/kids thus far, pretty sure I can make do until 35+. Like I said if I do go into law I could do other things in other countries than just practice law, like being a consultant. I don't think life has to be a race to accomplish my goals and I'm sure along the way there will be opportunities and/or barriers I couldn't have planned for. In the end I may just end up settling for living abroad for 1-2 years before I settle down full time in the states.

What's most important to me is living a comfortable life and not having to want for anything, spending my work hours doing something I believe in, building a dream home (if I stay in the states), spending time traveling and doing lots of recreational activities (snowboarding, surf trips, hiking, kayaking).
Those are some pretty ambitious goals. Law school in 2 years is really fast, especially if you want to do an internship after your second-year classes or something that leads to a job at a practice. As far as families go, my personal experience was that they aren't important until they are, and then it will happen all at once. If you avoid getting married until 35, you'll probably need to find someone a few years younger than yourself. That comes with its own set of baggage. What may work well is if you can find a job that will put you on an assignment for a while outside the States. You won't get as many options, but it may be the cleanest avenue.

Do most environmental lawyers make enough to live a comfortable life devoid of wanting for anything, have a dream home (this may require a definition), and have lots of time for leisure? My understanding was that most of them scraped by and were willing to do so because they believed in their work. Things like having a big house and lots of time to live life aren't as important to them, so it's a trade-off that they're willing to make. But if you want to make more money for that home, you may need to take up a second job. My cousin does that. He's an Assistant DA, and he bills a lot of time as an estate attorney on the side at his wife's practice. They're doing alright. You may end up having to make more compromises than you might think, and it will be the big stuff. Age will change your priorities, and you're ahead of 95% of the people in the world if you can anticipate those things before you want them so that you can get them when you desire them.

Those are some pretty ambitious goals. Law school in 2 years is really fast, especially if you want to do an internship after your second-year classes or something that leads to a job at a practice. As far as families go, my personal experience was that they aren't important until they are, and then it will happen all at once. If you avoid getting married until 35, you'll probably need to find someone a few years younger than yourself. That comes with its own set of baggage. What may work well is if you can find a job that will put you on an assignment for a while outside the States. You won't get as many options, but it may be the cleanest avenue.
Law school is typically a 2 year committment. To my understanding it's like saying getting a bachelor's in 4 years is really fast when that's typically what it takes. Ideally I'd like to marry at 33-35 to a 26-30 year old and have kids a few years later. Again though this stuff is kind of arbitrary, I could plan all I want for that kind of thing but then life will happen.
Do most environmental lawyers make enough to live a comfortable life devoid of wanting for anything, have a dream home (this may require a definition), and have lots of time for leisure? My understanding was that most of them scraped by and were willing to do so because they believed in their work. Things like having a big house and lots of time to live life aren't as important to them, so it's a trade-off that they're willing to make. But if you want to make more money for that home, you may need to take up a second job. My cousin does that. He's an Assistant DA, and he bills a lot of time as an estate attorney on the side at his wife's practice. They're doing alright. You may end up having to make more compromises than you might think, and it will be the big stuff. Age will change your priorities, and you're ahead of 95% of the people in the world if you can anticipate those things before you want them so that you can get them when you desire them.

The median salary for environmental law is typical for all practices of law, which is in the low 6 figures, with many making less than that, and many making a lot more than that. This is also subject to change, I may end up going into something else. I've still got some time to figure this out, that just seems to be my general direction. I'm going to start studying for the LSAT next year. Environmental law is also seeing slight job growth whereas most areas of law are stagnant or declining.

I appreciate the sage advice, I do. There's a lot of things that can't be planned for and I know I'll have to make compromises. A lot of this is just dependent on how successfull I am in my career. If I can't cut it in law school then obviously big changes will have to be made. If I'm a mediocre lawyer and I only hit 6 figures at 45 years old, then a lot of this goes out this window. I'm planning on working my ass off, getting good grades, putting my nose to the grinder and putting in the hard work. Once I quit my job in december I'll have a lot more free time to pursue things other than school. I want to pick up video editing and starting a youtube channel and a blog (which I've actually been building for a minute now). With how fast culture and the world are changing it's really hard to account for everything that could change. I'm just trying to pick up a valuable skill set with my education and be as adaptive as possible while picking up some other valuable skills/hobbies on the side.

Last edited:
sunshine-coast-airport.jpg

Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Australia

Australia and Switzerland are my dream countries to go into.

Australia and Switzerland are my dream countries to go into.
Australia seems like an awesome place. I have a friend that lived there for half a year and she loved it.

Biggest issues are: cost of living, pop/corporate culture is strong af over there. No different than America really in that regard.

I'd like to see Japan and the rest of Asia, but live in Thailand.

My partner is Thai and really wants to return home.

I'm English btw.

Australia seems like an awesome place. I have a friend that lived there for half a year and she loved it.

Biggest issues are: cost of living, pop/corporate culture is strong af over there. No different than America really in that regard.
But the country is laid back, and surrounded by awesome beaches.

And women are beautiful and have cool accents too.

I'd like to see Japan and the rest of Asia, but live in Thailand.

My partner is Thai and really wants to return home.

I'm English btw.
She wants to return home to England? You said you live In Thailand and your wife is Thai and wants to return home.

But the country is laid back, and surrounded by awesome beaches.

And women are beautiful and have cool accents too.
Yeah those are definitely strong upsides. Argentina seems like a good pick for the cost of living/beaches/high standard of living (compared to the rest of south america).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back