Anyone a fan of Double End Bags?

Chad Hamilton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
The guys at the gym like it. I have one at home, I like it.
What do you guys think and what kind of routine do you practice?

Made in the wrong forum? Moved to standup.

I use my rutten tapes with mine before I work my heavy bag. better than shadow boxing.

I have been using double end bags for a long time. They are great for hand/eye coordination and distance/timing/reaction drills.

Double end bags are perfect for learning how to hit straight - especially learning how to throw a series of straights.

I do about the same routine with the slip bag (another name for the double-end bag) as I do with the heavy-bag (which most of you have seen that routine). Just that the double end can bust your lip or bloody your nose if you don't adapt with some defensive movement.

I like them, a great tool.

3Is said:
what is a double end bag?

deb.jpg

King Kabuki said:
I do about the same routine with the slip bag (another name for the double-end bag) as I do with the heavy-bag (which most of you have seen that routine). Just that the double end can bust your lip or bloody your nose if you don't adapt with some defensive movement.

I like them, a great tool.
Tell me of this routine Kabuki.

damn, i love the double end bag. it's probably one of the most misused piece of equipment too. So many people "think" they're doing it right, but look like goofs.

a great thing for it is to stand real close and work slipping, close enough that if u dont' move, you'll get a nice clean bash in the face. Plus block/punch right off w/ the same hand, pop-pop. Right after u hit it, slip, come back, pop pop pop. yeah, i likes the double end bag.

Tell me of this routine Kabuki.

Click on my name, click on view all threads started by me, then check the one entitled "Heavy Bag 101".

a great thing for it is to stand real close and work slipping, close enough that if u dont' move, you'll get a nice clean bash in the face. Plus block/punch right off w/ the same hand, pop-pop. Right after u hit it, slip, come back, pop pop pop. yeah, i likes the double end bag.

Believe it or not Kam, I do this with my heavy bag as well. I'm a fan of letting the heavy bag swing around wildly after it's hit because very few opponents are going to stay still and let you bash them, so I don't see a huge need to always have it held. So I let it swing and move around it, but often times I'll put out an elbow and a forearm and step into it and let it slam into them, as if an opponent is trying to lean on me, and I'll pot-shot it from the inside. I've also been thinking about sort of inventing a piece of equipment, making some little wooden arms for a heavybag I can mount on the wall and have the arms moveable for different positions of defense, which will simulate an opponent stuck on the ropes. Unlike when sparring it'll allow you to see and take apart different defensive positions with no movement before attempting them on a live opponent.

King Kabuki said:
Believe it or not Kam, I do this with my heavy bag as well. I'm a fan of letting the heavy bag swing around wildly after it's hit because very few opponents are going to stay still and let you bash them, so I don't see a huge need to always have it held. So I let it swing and move around it, but often times I'll put out an elbow and a forearm and step into it and let it slam into them, as if an opponent is trying to lean on me, and I'll pot-shot it from the inside. I've also been thinking about sort of inventing a piece of equipment, making some little wooden arms for a heavybag I can mount on the wall and have the arms moveable for different positions of defense, which will simulate an opponent stuck on the ropes. Unlike when sparring it'll allow you to see and take apart different defensive positions with no movement before attempting them on a live opponent.

i kno what u talkin about. I pivot around it as it's comin at me, just like an onrushing opponent. A lot of people dont kno how to handle a rushing foe swinging like mad (damn, do i see that more than i want to in the amateurs) and the slick pivoting around is great. Pernell Whitaker used it flawlessly, would clinch, spin the guy around (or spin himself around them) and let loose a flurry before the guy even knows what's going on.

i do alot of more unorthodox drills w/ the heavy bag, instead of the usual 1-2 stuff standing straight still.

King Kabuki said:
Click on my name, click on view all threads started by me, then check the one entitled "Heavy Bag 101".
Are you suggesting I use that routine with the double-end?
Awesome looking routine by the way.
It seems as though I could only use a few of the drills.
Any modifications?

Thanks bro. It's a pain in the ass routine is what it is. lol In a good way though.

The main point of it is isolating punches though, which you could easily do on the slip bag. The only thing is you won't be able to chain together punches on the slip-bag like you could on the heavy. So like say the jab round. You would have to jab solid, let the slip bag move a bit, and jab again. It will get your timing very good because if you start jabbing a guy too much he's going to move a lot.

Also, throwing the different punches isolated for a few rounds on the slip bag should develope a nice consistency of you being able to hit a moving target. This is tough to do with a cross. Most times when guys throw crosses or power-hooks they have no idea if it will land or not. There aren;t many people who can constructively use jabs to set-up their power shots both effectively and consistently. Now of course unless you have a specific kind of slip-bag, you won't be able to punch to the body, but there are ones they make with a high target and a low target. So the only main modification I'd make to that routine is ridding it of the body punches.

Hitting the slip bag with hooks is a pain in the ass too until you get the hang of it. But again it developes very good accuracy and timing to be able to hit a guy who won't stand still with a hook you KNOW is going to land. When you can combination punch on the slip bag and not get hit back by it you know you're where you need to be. Just remember to move your feet. Don't get into the habit of needing to be set and square to punch effectively.

That routine is really just a very basic and general landscape of possibilities. I would try it for like a couple weeks on the heavy-bag just so you can see how it feels. Once you're used to it your body and your instincts will tell you how to adapt it to the slip bag.

Got mine yesterday and love it. Its def. a tough one to get used to at first.

The double-end bag is awesome. It's the first thing I got for my home gym when I decided to start training again.

After being out of training for 2 years, I could barely lay a fist on the thing after that first punch! But it's all coming back to me, slowly.

Best piece of training gear there is, in my opinion.

How tight do you guys have your double end bag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back