anybody getting a 'semmy schilt vibe' of Jones?

DC didnt lose becasue of reach. Jones much like the Glover fight handled DC at close range and in the clinch. He beat DC at the range DC wanted the fight to take place.

You can change your breath control. You can't change your height (well, you can with surgery, but you get my point).

Same as height some ppl are born with better lung capacity then others. You can't change that.

When the clinched against the fence it really looked like a man and a boy

That "boy" is a former heavyweight champion though, and might have become the ufc champion if he wasn't buddies with Cain.

Typical Sherdog.

People read this as 'Jones only won because of height/reach'
That is not what I meant.

Semmy Schilt and Jones are two talented fighters that know how to use their reach/height extremely well.

Skills and knowing how to use your size advantage brings you a long way.

Imo that takes 'a little away' from your goat status, if you know what I mean.

Same as Semmy, you would think;he is very good(in Jones case,very very good) but how would he have done with a 'normal frame'

Imo that takes 'a little away' from your goat status, if you know what I mean.

Same as Semmy, you would think;he is very good(in Jones case,very very good) but how would he have done with a 'normal frame'

That's like asking how would Fedor have done if he hadn't been so fast and if he didn't hit so hard, or how Cain would have done as a wrestler if he had Schilt's frame.

It's just part of the fighter in each case, and doesn't take anything away from their legacy.

Last edited:
DC didnt lose becasue of reach. Jones much like the Glover fight handled DC at close range and in the clinch. He beat DC at the range DC wanted the fight to take place.

I'm no wrestling expert, but I do believe Jon's height and long limbs had a factor in the clinch. Even if you grab one leg, Jones has another one miles away, just like a human tripod, stabilizing him where you can't reach it to trip him to the ground. I think that's something that Cormier couldn't have prepared for, and only realized while in the cage. How do you prepare for a skilled grappler so tall and lanky?

I'll take prime Schilt via KO over Jones any day of the week.

Yet, Fedor made Schilt look like an amateur which says a lot about Jones' "greatness."

no, because when semmy fought in the octagon he lost via armbar in the first round. when jones was caught in an armbar in the first round, he got out of it.

Jones is dominant in a sport with more dimensions, so he's more impressive IMO.

no, because when semmy fought in the octagon he lost via armbar in the first round. when jones was caught in an armbar in the first round, he got out of it.

Yeah, he had more success in K-1 than MMA. He lost to Kondo three times who is the size of Semmy's leg.

That kind of reach and leverage combined with a creative mind is a winning combo. Scihlt was the same , not as creative but used his tools really well.

Definitely, we need a Pete Aerts of mma

Nah, bones is a million times better.. and I'm not even a fan

Definitely, we need a Pete Aerts of mma

ha ha now there's a warrior! I recall he stepped up to fight at one event from being a spectator just to save the card. Borrowed some kit from one of the guys backstage:icon_lol:

Back