anybody getting a 'semmy schilt vibe' of Jones?

NL MMA

Blue Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Semmy Schilt ruled the K 1 for s few years
He wasnt the most talented kickboxer, although he was very good
But his reach and height made it very hard to come close to him
His physical gifts played a big factor

Don't get me wrong, Jones is an incredible talent and k1 isn't mma

But seeing Jones reminds me of seeing Schilt in a way.

I can see his physical attributes reminding you of Semmy, but Jones is a very diverse fighter who has the skill set to use his reach and size.

Everyone who is caught up on reach and height and using that as an excuse needs to take a look at Struve. Stefan just doesn't have the ability and skill level to use his attributes to great effect like Jones does.

I can see his physical attributes reminding you of Semmy, but Jones is a very diverse fighter who has the skill set to use his reach and size.

Everyone who is caught up on reach and height and using that as an excuse needs to take a look at Struve. Stefan just doesn't have the ability and skill level to use his attributes to great effect like Jones does.

It isn't all reach and height, but it's a big factor

It isn't all reach and height, but it's a big factor

Everything is a factor. Skill at this level is a confluence of things coming together in harmony to create elite level performances. Jones' breath control is probably a factor, lol.

Everything is a factor. Skill at this level is a confluence of things coming together in harmony to create elite level performances. Jones' breath control is probably a factor, lol.
Obviously some are much bigger factors than others.

Sure, height and reach play a role, but it's how it's utilized in the overall skill set that matters. I also would break away from your analogy in pointing out how he has begun fighting opponents in their comfort zone, beating their strength. He fought inside and dirty boxed Glover when everyone thought it was a mistake, and he outwrestled the Olympian.

Size isn't everything, I don't think Struve is a good example, you can just point at a random tall guy and say look at him he isn't champion so height doesn't mean anything.

It's always a combination of physical gifts and skills, but yes, JJ has both, and his opponents who only have the later will come up short.

no, jones is one of the most skilled, and well rounded fighters to ever live. he just outgrapled one of the most dominant hw grapplers weve seen in recent times.

Obviously some are much bigger factors than others.

Agreed. Last night his skill level and toughness was a huge factor. He took DC's best, demonstrated his mettle, toughness and heart of a champion, out worked DC, broke his will and won that fight outright. A lot of factors.

I actually disliked Schilt for several years, and I only started liking him when Hari came around and I realized "well, Schilt is a good man at least".

Jon Jones is more like Ali.

anybody get the vibe of MW of DC?

Its that kinda of thread. Just another discrediting bones.

I honestly believed DC could win... Right until I saw them in the cage. It looked like Jon was a HW and DC was a MW. At that moment I lost all hope DC would win.

Jones is a long guy with great skill. Semmy is a fucking giant. I see why you'd make the comparison but I don't think it has that much merit.

Hieght is a big factor obviously..when i saw DC and jones in the cage..i was like "damn i thought DC wud b a bit taller"...jones does give salchit vibe but jones is skillful too...esp those elbows...DC ate a lot of elbows...and cundt manipulate the clinch

You can change your breath control. You can't change your height (well, you can with surgery, but you get my point).

I honestly believed DC could win... Right until I saw them in the cage. It looked like Jon was a HW and DC was a MW. At that moment I lost all hope DC would win.

When the clinched against the fence it really looked like a man and a boy

Back