Any tips on de-funking my gi?

I think one of the other important factors of getting rid of the funk is being overlooked here. The way you are drying your gi.

How are you drying it?

Drying it outside in the sun helps as UV light kills all types of crazy bacteria. Plus that fresh breeze smell is nice too.

Drying it in a dryer wont help defunk it.

I usually just hang it up on my door mounted pull up bar. My father spent alot of time in Africa when he was in SF and swears by sunlight to de-funk clothing, he said that they used to get into some nasty shit in Zaire and the sun always helped.

The vinegar seems to have helped immensely, but the collar still has a little stink, tommorrow i'm going to run it through again, hang it up outside, and hope the little shitheads that run my neighborhood don't fuck with it.

hanging a stinky gi in the sunlight IS NOT a fire hazzard. unless your sweat consists primarily of ammonia into the gi. but then this wouldn't be an issue because you'd be dead. or on dialysis. now, if you put a dry gi which was full of ammonia next to a fire, then yes. it'll burn.

the sun is an EXCELLENT way to get the stink out of something. i've also gone the opposite route and put rash guards in the freezer for a day or two. that killed the stink pretty well also.

if your washing machine has an extra hot/sanitary setting wash it in that...it def gets out the stink (that is only if your gi is already shrunk to the max!)

Would vinegar work on handwraps and/or boxing gloves?

I use vinager on my wraps and it works the balls. If they're really funky it might take a couple washes but it works. I dont know if I'd use it on my gloves though, never really thought of it. I've been using vinager on my gi/rashguard for a couple months, stuff works everytime. I've been told its much better for the material than bleach is too.

just a question, I keep on reading a cup, and keep on askign, how much is a CUP???? seems to be a standar size in the US, but down here (southamerica) is not...

soak it in water with baking soda. apply baking soda fairly liberally.

60% of the time it works everytime.

well, it actually works everytime.

and to add:

if i wanted my gi to smell like balls....

i would probably soak it in vinegar.

Back