Any tips on de-funking my gi?

SFinclined

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My favorite gi smells like a sack of nuts, I have soaked it in fabric softener overnight, I have washed it immediately after training, I have tried febreeze, but my gi still smells like someone took a shit on it. Any tips?

I use white vinegar. You can either soak it in white vinegar for 20-30 before the wash or do what I do and add it directly to the load with detergent. 1/2 a bottle will do the trick. You might want to put them through an additional cycle to get all of the vinegar out - you don't want to replace the funk with vinegar.

I periodically do this every month or two when I smell the funk. After this, they're good as new!

Mannn my rashguard smells so bad after training , like this chemical smell .

I sometimes soak it in a bucket with biotex ( don't know if thats a known product in the usa ) .

I guess it would work as good on a gi.

Definitely try vinegar and water. Dillute it heavily at first because you don't want your gi smelling like a giant douche. If that doesn't work, buy a new one. You'll have to eventually if you train long enough.

Definitely try vinegar and water. Dillute it heavily at first because you don't want your gi smelling like a giant douche. If that doesn't work, buy a new one. You'll have to eventually if you train long enough.

No doubt, but unfortunately this is my newest most favorite gi in the whole world. I have others I wear but none like this one. I knew there was some way to use vinegar, i'll try that next. I tried almost half a box of baking soda and that didn't work, so hopefully vinegar will.

From: MMA's worldwide leader in UFC news, gear and events

How to Keep your Gi and washable training gear Clean and not smelling like death

There is only one solution. Baking soda will not work. Bleach will rarely work without having to use so much you destroy the fabric.

Here's the Solution:
1) Start up washer on warm water, mid to max fill
2) Add maximum recommended soap (according to the instructions)
3) Add 1-3 cups of WHITE VINEGAR to the wash
4) Let it begin to agitate, until it's nice and soapy
5) Stop the Machine.
6) Add Gi/Clothing/Knee-Sleaves/Etc
7) Let it agitate for a few minutes
8) Stop machine and let it sit, full of soapy acidic water
9) After at least a half hour has passed, restart machine and continue as normal

This will guaranteed get the funk out of your gi. It was recommended by my Judo Coach Osaekomi on the Judo boards, and it works...

This even works in the worst of conditions.

For example: My friend had a pair of knee sleeves that smelled fine dry, but as soon as they got wet/sweaty they'd smell like a slaughterhouse that was flooded with cat piss.

It was so horrible, you could smell them from 30 feet away. Using this method once on the sleeves made it so they didn't even stink a bit.

How it works: By washing it in vinegar, you're making the cloth uninhabitable to all that bacteria which feeds on a basic (as opposed to acidic) environment... That's why you get that ammonia smell when it's really wet. Wash it in Vinegar and you won't have this problem. Has never failed me or anyone I know.

My recipe for a clean smelling Gi is
Max soap reccomended
About a cup of vinegar
Half cup of borax
half cup of baking soda (arm an hammer makes a baking soda they call "super washing soda" get that)
and I do this every time and it seems to work well.

I tried vinegar and didn't get fantastic results, though I didn't let it soak 30 minutes. That said, Mr Clean w/ Febreze (It's an orange color) has worked amazingly. I just add around 1/2-1 cup along with normal soap, and my stuff comes out clean.

What about throwing in some Oxi-clean as well?

I would imagine it would kill stuff in there too?

I've tried Oxi-Clean and it doesn't measure up IMO - it's only good for the stains.

I also endorse the white vinegar wash. I used to train with this horrendously smelly dude and his funk jumped from his gi to mine. It got to the point where I was embarrassed to train in it. It only took one wash with white vinegar and now I have absolutely no problems with odor.

EDIT: I'm finally off dubs!! FUGGYYEAAAH!!11!!

I soak mine in a bucket of white vinegar and water (1 cup of vinegar per gallon of water) and let it sit overnight. Wash like usual and then let it hang dry in the sun. After this process, I've had people actually stop while we're rolling to tell me how fresh my gi smells.

Back