Any projector owners?

Err

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've really been wanting one lately but I don't know anyone who has one. Anybody here have a projector that they use regularly? How is the picture quality compared to a TV?

Optoma HD33 3D is the best cheap 3d 1080p projector you can get for your money.

I have an Optoma HD180 and I love it. I play movies and have a PS3 and WiiU hooked up to it and they look great. It's 1080p resolution and the picture looks really good compared to a TV that is getting the same picture. I don't notice any loss of quality in the image on my screen that's 109". Some of the AV guys in other forums say that you can get by with 720p up to about 140". My buddy had a set up with a 120" screen running a 720p projector and it still looked good.

If you already have a good sound system you can set up a projector and screen for less than TV's can run. The real limiting factor for a projector is amount of space needed to fit the large screen and the distance needed to mount the projector on bigger screens.

Have either of you had any experience with an Epson PowerLite 710HD, or do you know anything about them?

I got a Mitsubishi projector in my living room. Its awesome but the only downside is the room has to be pretty dark, cant really watch it in the light or in the day time.

I read a review on what you posted and if it fits what you want it seems like a good rig. For my space it's not one I would pick up.

It has a built in speaker that pumps out decent sound but not as good as a tv. One of the points of setting up a projector is getting the movie experience in your own home, and you're not going to get that with a mono speaker. If you're going to spend the money you should get one that's full 1080p over a built in speaker.

used to have one but sold it, the quality just did not stack up to a conventional HD TV.

How far back would you need to mount a projector to get it to fit a 100-120 inch screen?

I have a Samsung picoprojector. Definitely only for dark rooms but the portability makes up for it.

used to have one but sold it, the quality just did not stack up to a conventional HD TV.

That's the complete opposite of my experience. I have been a projector owner since 2003 and couldn't live without one. A calibrated HD33 on a decently made DIY homemade screen will murder the vast majority of TVs costing 3 times as much or more.

Always wanted to go with a projector but it always seemed too expensive, how much should one look to pay for a set up like that? I have a surround sound system already.

*edit* I dont care about 3D. Would a different model be okay if I didnt want the Optoma HD33?

How far back would you need to mount a projector to get it to fit a 100-120 inch screen?

At 109" mine sits about 13 feet away with a ceiling mount.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

Always wanted to go with a projector but it always seemed too expensive, how much should one look to pay for a set up like that? I have a surround sound system already.

*edit* I dont care about 3D. Would a different model be okay if I didnt want the Optoma HD33?

If you already have a surround sound and don't care about 3D you can put a setup together for under $1000. I got my Optoma projector at Costco for like $899, but you can get them for cheaper. A pull down screen with shipping will run you about $150.

When I put my theater room together I spent about $2500, but I also bought a new Yamaha receiver, Definitive speakers, and a PS3 to run as my bluray/media player. I've seen high end TV's run for more than that. I'm sure they're really good at what they do and look amazing, but I put a whole theater room together for cheaper and it's awesome watching movies in it. I'm sure a video/audio snob can pick my set up apart, but it suits my needs.

Last edited:
Some of favourite gaming moments were playing Bioshock and Oblivion on the big screen projector, I found it to be a lot more immersive.

I lent my old projector to a friend who left it in his apartment when he moved out then the Landlord said there was no projector :-(

I've had a couple of Epsons, and I love them. Totally worth it. I got my latest one on Ebay for about $450. It's HD and rules a serious amount of ass.

If you already have a surround sound and don't care about 3D you can put a setup together for under $1000. I got my Optoma projector at Costco for like $899, but you can get them for cheaper. A pull down screen with shipping will run you about $150.

When I put my theater room together I spent about $2500, but I also bought a new Yamaha receiver, Definitive speakers, and a PS3 to run as my bluray/media player. I've seen high end TV's run for more than that. I'm sure they're really good at what they do and look amazing, but I put a whole theater room together for cheaper and it's awesome watching movies in it. I'm sure a video/audio snob can pick my set up apart, but it suits my needs.

For real? Costco in Canada is listing them at 1500.

For real? Costco in Canada is listing them at 1500.

It may be an upgraded model. I looked up after you made the thread and see that the HD180 has been discontinued. Not sure what model is being sold now.

Looked at what Costco is carrying, and they don't even carry the Optoma line anymore, and what they are carrying is a lot more expensive. I found the HD180 on Ebay and they were running anywhere from $650-$799

Here is pretty much the same projector, but from the line that Best Buy carries. A little more expensive at $999, but still a great unit. Best Buy reviews are giving it 4.6/5 with 14 reviews.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Optoma+-+HD+DLP+Projector/4948413.p?id=1218583584127&skuId=4948413

Last edited:
Some of favourite gaming moments were playing Bioshock and Oblivion on the big screen projector, I found it to be a lot more immersive.

I lent my old projector to a friend who left it in his apartment when he moved out then the Landlord said there was no projector :-(

I bought my HD33 just for PC gaming, and man it's Amazing. If you are a movie lover and have the space a projector is a must for 1080p content.

Looked at what Costco is carrying, and they don't even carry the Optoma line anymore, and what they are carrying is a lot more expensive. I found the HD180 on Ebay and they were running anywhere from $650-$799

Here is pretty much the same projector, but from the line that Best Buy carries. A little more expensive at $999, but still a great unit. Best Buy reviews are giving it 4.6/5 with 14 reviews.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Optoma+-+HD+DLP+Projector/4948413.p?id=1218583584127&skuId=4948413

If you care about 3d then go for the HD33, the 3d is pretty amazing for a $1400 projector.

If you care about 3d then go for the HD33, the 3d is pretty amazing for a $1400 projector.

I'm eventually going to upgrade to a 3D unit, but I want to wait until the passive polarized models come down in price a little.

Back