Any projector owners?

Owned 2 Epsons, well didnt out right own them. Use to work in hotels and companies would do boardroom presentations and leave their projectors behind. We would call them for months and nothing, so I just took them home. Played my games on them and ended up selling both of them for $600 and $700 each

I bought my HD33 just for PC gaming, and man it's Amazing. If you are a movie lover and have the space a projector is a must for 1080p content.

Yeah I miss it, think I'm going to take a look and see if I can find anything in the sales.

passive is not the way to go when it comes to 3d imo, the resolution is cut in half.

I'm still not totally sold on 3D for home use yet, especially not with a toddler at home who loves to grab at glasses. With the tech advancing as fast as it does and with high frame rates, filtering out each eye using polarization isn't a big deal to me.

The 2 times where 3D is enticing to me is movies and video games. Movies would be nice at home, but I'm more excited about video games. With Sony hinting at augmented reality I want to see what's in store for that before I drop the money on a 3D projector.

Even with all of that me and the wife are planning for another kid here in the next few months and I won't even consider something like that until the youngest is old enough to randomly grab and break stuff.

dont know anything about projectors, but back in the day my mate had a one....we used to live in one of a pair of 21-storey apartment blocks, point the projector out the window to the opposite wall and play FIFA :D

I'm still not totally sold on 3D for home use yet, especially not with a toddler at home who loves to grab at glasses. With the tech advancing as fast as it does and with high frame rates, filtering out each eye using polarization isn't a big deal to me.

The 2 times where 3D is enticing to me is movies and video games. Movies would be nice at home, but I'm more excited about video games. With Sony hinting at augmented reality I want to see what's in store for that before I drop the money on a 3D projector.

Even with all of that me and the wife are planning for another kid here in the next few months and I won't even consider something like that until the youngest is old enough to randomly grab and break stuff.

gaming in 3d is amazing, the depth that you get adds so much to the experience.

This is the future of 3d gaming
http://www.oculusvr.com/

3d goggles with head tracking that has no lag. Each eye has a dedicated image eliminating cross talk. the only thing hurting it is the resolution.

gaming in 3d is amazing, the depth that you get adds so much to the experience.

This is the future of 3d gaming
http://www.oculusvr.com/

3d goggles with head tracking that has no lag. Each eye has a dedicated image eliminating cross talk. the only thing hurting it is the resolution.

Whoa, I remember watching John Carmack at E3 this year with his VR display. From the video it seems like Palmer and Carmack have teamed up and the Oculus is the new product. It's come a long way in a short amount of time. The stuff that was on display at E3 looked like it was put together with zip-ties.

When I bring one of these home down the line I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it from the wife. Would love to see what it looks like a few generations down the line when the tech is better and it shrinks down a little bit.

bookmarked, thinking of this in a year or so. I hear the lamps are killer.

Whoa, I remember watching John Carmack at E3 this year with his VR display. From the video it seems like Palmer and Carmack have teamed up and the Oculus is the new product. It's come a long way in a short amount of time. The stuff that was on display at E3 looked like it was put together with zip-ties.

When I bring one of these home down the line I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it from the wife. Would love to see what it looks like a few generations down the line when the tech is better and it shrinks down a little bit.

Yeah I remember his e3 videos, his versions was a modified sony hmz-t1, that had head tracking and much less lag.

I really cant wait to see what this things is like 3-5 years from now. 60fps 2160p 3d with head tracking would be crazy.

I was walking around the house today trying to find the best way I could set this up and I could only find room to have the projector like 10 ft away from the screen. That would still give me a decent picture size, but I don't know if it would be worth it atm to buy a projector over 1000 when I don't have the space to fully utilize it. I'm thinking I might just go for an Epson Powerlite 710HD for the moment, until I can get a bigger space. I've already got a good set of speakers I could use as well. What do you guys think?

I was walking around the house today trying to find the best way I could set this up and I could only find room to have the projector like 10 ft away from the screen. That would still give me a decent picture size, but I don't know if it would be worth it atm to buy a projector over 1000 when I don't have the space to fully utilize it. I'm thinking I might just go for an Epson Powerlite 710HD for the moment, until I can get a bigger space. I've already got a good set of speakers I could use as well. What do you guys think?

If you're planning on buying the Epson with the idea it's an interim projector until you get a bigger space and you already have a sound system I say go for it. The review in PCmag gave it 4/5. The lamp hours were pretty standard at about 4,000 hrs and the image quality was good even with high light levels in the room.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409966,00.asp

I got an EPSON POWERLITE X12. It's HD, and at about 15 feet the smallest I can make it is about 90 inches or so. It actually comes off the sides of my screen a few inches, but I can't put it back any further. But it's cool, you can still see the rest of the image on the wall, and it's only the edges.

I love the thing, it has awesome picture, great for video games, which is mainly what i use it for. I used to watch TV on my projector, which was amazing, but you go through the lamp way too fast doing that.

I got it brand new on Ebay for about $450, so they're not as expensive as people think they are. The only real cons to them are you have a blank wall or a pull down screen, which usually means you have to make room for it. And it has to be fairly dark for the picture to start looking great.

But after you get over those little hurdles, the result is a monstrous screen that will go to sizes your tv will never reach.

I have a TV mounted to the wall behind my drop down screen and an HDMI output splitter so the TV/Projector get the same image so I don't burn the bulb when the kid is watching something in the room.

I would prefer to have a permanent mounted screen over a pull down since after 2 years I'm starting to get a little bit of a ripple in the screen. It's not a huge deal since the only real times you notice it is during a sweeping shot, and even then it's only a minor annoyance.

Just saw this from some of the CES 2013 stuff.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/26/lg-hecto-laser-tv-projector-to-debut-at-ces-2013-promises-a-1/

Space is a huge constraint when putting up a projector, and this thing is promising to put up a 100" display with a distance of 22" by using an ultra short throw laser. With that kind of distance you can set this thing up on a TV stand with all of the other electronics and completely get rid of the long HDMI runs. No price as of yet, but I'm sure it will be pretty spendy. With the 25,000 hour lamp life it may be worth it.

As LG continues its slew of CES 2013 pre-announcements, the latest is a new display technology it's bringing to the projection arena, an ultra short throw laser projector. Capable of creating a 100-inch screen from just 22 inches (56cm) away, the "Hecto" Laser TV a 1080p shooter that can change the way owners design their home theater. If you'd like to use it as an all-in-one home theater to go (the screen is included, picture after the break), it also has a digital tuner and 10w speakers built-in, with three HDMI inputs, an RS-232 port and Smart TV capabilities controlled by LG's Magic Remote. As you can see above, it follows LG's "Dynamic Arc Design" with a max height of just 5.7-inches. It carries a 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio with WiDi and Miracast compatibility and LG claims the laser system will run for up to 25,000 hours without replacement. There's no word on pricing or release date, although it likely won't be value priced. We expect to get a few more details when we see it in Las Vegas, check the press release after the break for all the information currently available.

8327379049d637951d55o620.jpg

That's the complete opposite of my experience. I have been a projector owner since 2003 and couldn't live without one. A calibrated HD33 on a decently made DIY homemade screen will murder the vast majority of TVs costing 3 times as much or more.

TVs have really come down in price.

The fact is if you have a dedicated room that you can keep dark, and want the best big screen experience, you should get a projector. For a decent set up with a sound system and receiver you are looking at ~$5k

Sharp now has 2 80" LCD tvs and the non-3d version is about $3500 and the 3D can be had for under $4500.

You can watch the TV in the daytime without issue and it is easier to power up, use, etc. And you don't need to pay for sound.

If it is a dedicated room you don't mind keeping dark, then go for the projector. 100+ inch screen is awesome. But if you want more convenience, and the ability to watch TV in a room with windows that aren't blacked out or in a bright room with friends (e.g. sporting events) then TV is the way to go.

I've really been wanting one lately but I don't know anyone who has one. Anybody here have a projector that they use regularly? How is the picture quality compared to a TV?

I own a Marantz. Shit's better than our LED...

What is your budget?

BTW, avsforum will give you a lot more depth of info than you will find here. But some of those guys are incredibly picky so you have to learn to sort through that.

Back