Any news on ADCC 2011?

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I've heard news on the qualifying tournaments there will be and there has even been word that Brock Lesnar is going out for ADCC.

But does anybody have any idea on where the actual Submission Wrestling World Championships for 2011 will be?

Why don't they have ADCC every year anymore? Do they think holding it less often adds to the prestige? My God, these tournaments are losing their prestigious.

The ADCC is not losing its prestige at all...
It's still a specialty thing though. It's sad that it can't get some mainstream coverage. At least budovideos is doing a pretty good job covering it.

Why don't they have ADCC every year anymore? Do they think holding it less often adds to the prestige? My God, these tournaments are losing their prestigious.

From what I was told it lets new guys develop, If it was every year it would get a little boring with the same guys winning every year, thats what I was told. But yeah they are not losing one bit of prestige. I haven't heard anything about the qualifiers when and where are they?

ADCC has been biennial since 2001.

i was just told the european qualifiers are pretty close to me.

hopefully they're open to everyone and i can go there, pay my fee and get my ass kicked.

Usually news doesn't come around about ADCC until right before it happens. I mean you'll hear about qualifiers and stuff in advance, but I remember it wasn't even announced where it would be held until right before. A lot of people thought it would be in the U.S. again. The website didn't even go up until about 4 weeks ahead of the event. I'd say we're 9-10 months away from having more concrete info about where it is and who will be there.

I know man, but it was annual from '98-'01. Just curious as to why they changed it.

I could be wrong but I think they did do it to give younger people the chance to improve so we can see new faces at each event, instead of having the same people go on multiple runs. It also makes it more special when people do win multiple times in a row, because more time has passed. I think they were going for an Olympics type thing. I would love to see it every year, but I'm obviously selfish. I would be more content just having the No-Gi Worlds every year if they just allowed heel hooks already. I don't understand why they don't just do that already. Keep the rest of the IBJJF rules the same, who cares... Just let black belts and even brown belts do heel hooks.

It is also easier to have qualifiers if it is every 2 years.

IMO, it is still the most prestigious no gi tournament in the world.

It has only gained prestige since it turned into bi annual. Back in the day when it first started, you had a lot of not so good grapplers competing, and even placing in the tourney.

The IBJJF has a good idea with the No Gi worlds. But, unless they start paying their athletes, I think a lot of people will stick with the ADCC's instead of the No Gi Mundials.

You already have people like Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Pablo Popovitch, etc that do not compete at the IBJJF no gi tournaments.

adccnamarch.jpg

The actual competition is going to be in Abu Dhabi in April of 2011. Not sure when... but I'll be there :icon_chee

The actual competition is going to be in Abu Dhabi in April of 2011. Not sure when... but I'll be there :icon_chee

No, that is the world pro gi (and nogi this year) - different organization, different sheikh, same country.

No, that is the world pro gi (and nogi this year) - different organization, different sheikh, same country.

I was going to say. I didn't think that was right

I thought it was all held collectively although a different competition. Crap. I though I was going to get to see some of the ADCC grappling. :mad:

How are they becoming less prestigious? What submission wrestling tournaments even come close to ADCC?

Back