Any hip hop devotees here who feel Kanye is obscenely overrated?

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is one of the best things I've ever bought, but the rest of his music is up and down for me. Not a huge fan, just loved that album.

he seems like a good producer with kind of a weak flow

This, man. I really don't know how Kanye is so popular the past few years. Almost like a case of "famous for being famous". Fitting he married Kim K, then

Old Kanye was very good, but yah the new stuff meh. YOU DONT HAVE THE ANSWERS SWAY!!!!

This, man. I really don't know how Kanye is so popular the past few years. Almost like a case of "famous for being famous". Fitting he married Kim K, then

He's famous for maintaining musical relevancy for over 10 years. Very few artists can do that. And he did it without using a gimmick like Eminem.

Kanye and Nas are the only two established rappers who have any music which I remotely like....and I probably enjoy about 10% of their respective catalogs.

"All of the Lights" is, however, the best song I have ever heard on the radio. By any measurement, it's an outstanding song and he deserves credit for crafting it.

[YT]FAnGnevKxJE[/YT]

I prefer Nas, but I always thought "Takeover" was a much better diss song than "Ether."

I think I maybe only have 2-3 tracks on my WMP that I like by him. He is extremely overrated and I loathe this C U Next Tuesday cause he's such a self absorbed douche.

He's famous for maintaining musical relevancy for over 10 years. Very few artists can do that. And he did it without using a gimmick like Eminem.

Thats the second time I see people cherry pick Em out of the list of people TS started. Em is one of the best rappers of all time (Not the best but absolutely in the top 10). Kanye is a horrible rapper and his good songs where all written by Rhymefest anyway. That said, Kanye is a very good producer, and has a few very good songs, but I still dont get why people single out Em.

I'm probably the biggest hip hop fan on Sherdog and yes, Gayfish sucks
I am without question and I will go bar to bar with anyone who wants to challenge that.

Thats the second time I see people cherry pick Em out of the list of people TS started. Em is one of the best rappers of all time (Not the best but absolutely in the top 10). Kanye is a horrible rapper and his good songs where all written by Rhymefest anyway. That said, Kanye is a very good producer, and has a few very good songs, but I still dont get why people single out Em.

Em is great but hes not top 10.

But Kanye is one of the greatest producers of all time. Top 10 easily.
His first 3 albums were great and he did usher in an Era of what they call chipmunk soul where the pitch or transpose is turned up on whatever sample he uses.

His personal life has brought alot of backlash but if he was still makin good music it would be ok but he isnt.

He produced a song for Talib Kweli called "In the mood" in 2007 that has this line in it.

In the club with Silicone Suzie,
What happened to real girls like Rudy?
With real titties like Tooty,
This girl got a silicone booty!
And got the nerve to act moody!
Now I ain't tryin to judge like Judy,

All these years later and he married that silicone booty.

1381508299creativegenius.gif

Kanye and Nas are the only two established rappers who have any music which I remotely like....and I probably enjoy about 10% of their respective catalogs.

"All of the Lights" is, however, the best song I have ever heard on the radio. By any measurement, it's an outstanding song and he deserves credit for crafting it.

I prefer Nas, but I always thought "Takeover" was a much better diss song than "Ether."

If you like Nas and Kanye then listen to Still Dreaming, which is produced by Kanye and has both of them on it. One of my favorite songs ever.

But when speaking of Takeover vs Ether, I think Ethers lyrical content was better.
Jay Z hit with some hard shit but Nas hit back with more venom.
The problem is that Jay Z's Takeover is an overall better song when you factor in production value and all that.
Takeover was produced by Kanye. Ether was produced by Ron Browz.

Ethers beat sounds dated. It sounds very 1999-2000, has that similar sound to Hot Boyz by Missy Elliot which coincidentally has Nas on it.

Ron Browz just isn't Kanye and while I think Ether beat Takeover, I always wondered why Nas selected that beat.

*Not a bad beat by the way.

He's really the only guy on that list who's career is based on a gimmick. Kanye makes albums, Em makes alter egos.

Also this is Sherdog. I doubt many people here listen to any rap music other than Eminem.

Kanye West has Gywneth Paltrow as his ghost writer. She wrote all that bourgeoisie rap shit.

kanye had a good run but is doing some horrible music now

Early Kanye shits on anything M&M has ever done. Sadly he has lost his mind due to losing his mum and being ashamed of being gay

this is about the dumbest thing ive ever read. EM has and always will be more highly regarded than kanye. THe only thing kanye has over EM is producing

I am without question and I will go bar to bar with anyone who wants to challenge that.

Em is great but hes not top 10.

But Kanye is one of the greatest producers of all time. Top 10 easily.
His first 3 albums were great and he did usher in an Era of what they call chipmunk soul where the pitch or transpose is turned up on whatever sample he uses.

His personal life has brought alot of backlash but if he was still makin good music it would be ok but he isnt.

He produced a song for Talib Kweli called "In the mood" in 2007 that has this line in it.

In the club with Silicone Suzie,
What happened to real girls like Rudy?
With real titties like Tooty,
This girl got a silicone booty!
And got the nerve to act moody!
Now I ain't tryin to judge like Judy,

All these years later and he married that silicone booty.

Em is top 5

He's really the only guy on that list who's career is based on a gimmick. Kanye makes albums, Em makes alter egos.

Also this is Sherdog. I doubt many people here listen to any rap music other than Eminem.

Not to make this a race thing, but white people put Em on a pedestal.
Black ppl acknowledge Em. He was good, but its different.
Em could say things that black people couldnt. He could say silly ass shit that resonates with white people that a brotha would get laughed at for saying.

Alot of white people that go "Em was one of the best" are the same that go wild for Atmosphere but couldnt tell you one song by Rakim or Big Daddy Kane.

White people in general aren't going to get Rakims raps about 5 percent teachins and Islam and all that other shit, the same way black people dont get Eminems beef with his Mom and Uncle Ronny or whoever.

Different cultures that used the same culture to get their points across.

Ive come to like Em over the years but when he was at his peak I didnt like him at all.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is one of the best things I've ever bought, but the rest of his music is up and down for me. Not a huge fan, just loved that album.

This. IMO one of the goat rap albums. Not one song that I don't like on it, and some of the best rap songs I've heard.

The run he had between college dropout- MBDTF was seriously impressive. 5 albums all good to amazing. But yeesuz was a disappointment.

Back