Any hip hop devotees here who feel Kanye is obscenely overrated?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I mean, look, I keep hearing that the reason we tolerate Kanye's pathetic self indulgence and entitlement attitude and going on about how much of a victim he is, which is excessive to say the least even by modern celebrity standards, is because he is supposedly such a revolutionary genius in rap. Now I get that he had a few really good songs that quickly got people's attention but hearing about how he is amazing and one of the greats and true geniuses of rap is getting old to me. I mean, the idea that he has done anything remotely in the vein of, say, Nas's Illmatic,Dr Dre's The Chronic, 2pac's All Eyes On Me, Wu Tang Clan's 36 Chambers, Biggie's Ready to Die, Eminem's Marshal Mathers LP, Run DMC's Raising Hell, Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions, Tribe Called Quest's Midnight Marauders or Eric B and Rakim's Paid in Full is just laughable. And so I think it may be that even fro rap, part of the issue is how low our standards have fallen since the 2000s.

So for hip hop lovers on Sherdog, am I the sole guy in the world who feels this way? I kinda wanna know.

Early Kanye shits on anything M&M has ever done. Sadly he has lost his mind due to losing his mum and being ashamed of being gay

Dude's garbage now and has been since abooout 808.

I'm probably the biggest hip hop fan on Sherdog and yes, Gayfish sucks

Does anyone actually listen to kanye and enjoy him? I thought he was a total joke at this point?

I love his music but I don't think he's particularly significant or groundbreaking as an artist.

Just really good at what he does.

Really, the one time he did try to be a pioneer it was kind of a mess.

I don't hope hip hop devotees who doesn't think so exist.

Wouldn't say I'm a hip-hop-head and I rarely listen to Kanye, but he seems like a good producer with kind of a weak flow. For my money, RZA is better in both categories. Can't he just have other people write his rhymes like Dr. Dre?

Kanye West is definitely not my type of music now, but I wouldn't use the word overrated. He is an all-time great producer, with great songs like

[YT]HaIq-RAYK8M[/YT]
and
[YT]FAnGnevKxJE[/YT]

on his resume before he was even a rapper (and too many hits to count). His rapping may be overrated, but I consider The College Dropout, Late Registration, and MBDTF to be great albums. He doesn't have any one album that compares to the classics you mentioned, but the body of his work is pretty legendary as both a producer and an artist.

I was a very devoted Hip Hop fan until around 2008. I don't even consider Kanye to be Hip Hop. It's pop rap / pop Hop / hip pop or whatever. Not Hip Hop though.

He's never been or will ever be considered a legend by me... his sales just reflects how many stupid young "heads" that never experienced the real golden age of hiphop spend their money. I didn't even experienced that. I started my hiphop collection around '97/'98, and I gotta say '98 was an incredible year for me. Flipmode, a Tribe Called Quest, Xzibit, Mobb Deep, Big Pun, Sunz of Man, and a whole lot more.

He has a couple of good early songs, but now he's just a tabloid parody of what he were before his accident. If I survived a horrific car crash I'd be more humble.
At this point he probably think he's immortal, and hanging around that egomaniac wife off his probably doesn't help.

So yes, he is overrated, not HIS fault though

his first album was mediocre, now he's just plain terrible.

Yeezus and Watch The Throne were pretty disappointing to me. As stated in an earlier post his old stuff is the only thing worth listening to at this point.

I liked some of his early stuff, haven't listened to what he's been putting out since his first couple albums.

i dont really listen to hip hop but iam fan of his trolling find his interviews and persona to be entertaining infact i actually taught he butchered those daft punk songs dont really know many of his songs tbh i liked *****s in paris though

liked i said i dont listen to much to hip hop

he has some awesome beats which shows his producing brilliance. But as a rapper he is meh, almost every colabo he has done i feel he has some of the corniest lines.

Kanye is talented, as shown especially in his older stuff.

[YT]P5I5uXHj4j8 [/YT]

It comes to a certain point where artists lose their inspiration. Look at M Night Shalayaman (sp?).

I think Kanye (and most hip hop artists in general) have reached that point.

Back