Any fighters with Kalaripayattu background in the ufc?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was playing basketball outside the reccenter and I noticed that there was an event going inside the center. I went inside and saw what seemed like a cross between kungfu,Yoga and Pencak Silat.

I then realized it is Kalaripayattu and it has tons of excercises both in striking as well as joint locking + tons of conditioning and flexibility drills and even weapons training.

So I know its important to be well-versed in other arts, but have there been a Kalaripayattu practioner/representitive in the ufc similar to how gsp represents the kyokushin spirit?

Here is Kalaripayattu:

all i can picture is chael sonnen grabbing a double leg and dumping them on their head

When India's wrestlers figure out that there is money in MMA, watch out. Some fierce, fierce badasses there.

This Kalapayatta whatever stuff...not so much.

When India's wrestlers figure out that there is money in MMA, watch out. Some fierce, fierce badasses there.

This Kalapayatta whatever stuff...not so much.

Whats wrong with Kalari? It has some great excercises that help build the body up so when you train in conventional mma style it may give you some advantage.

Agree on wrestling...

it's the predecessor to kung fu, supposedly. and that's not very useful. but India has and has historically had some very good wrestlers.

ZsUoB.jpg

India has great wrestlers as has been previously noted.

But, we know what works. It has worked for hundreds of years already. There is no need to learn "new methods", we simply must get better at applying the ones that we know to be effective and real.

But, we know what works. It has worked for hundreds of years already. There is no need to learn "new methods", we simply must get better at applying the ones that we know to be effective and real.

Oh Im not saying mma fighter should find a new method but rather implement some of the excercise that are in Kali. They have really good and unique stretches and have good extensions on kicks:

kalaripayattu_kick.gif

Here is an excercise kick:(not intended for sparring/fights)

I reckon that this type of kick excercise can help pervent injuries by ensuring that the body goes through various motions in different sequences.

Last edited:
Oh Im not saying mma fighter should find a new method but rather implement some of the excercise that are in Kali. They have really good and unique stretches and have good extensions on kicks:
Well, that's a bit different. In that case, I don't see why applying some of the stretches for better kicking would be a bad idea.

What type of wrestling--some traditional type? Because they aren't good at Olympic wrestling. In 116 years, they've medalled 4 times in Greco and freestyle combined. Zero golds. Italy has 20 overall and 7 golds, for comparison.

Satish Ja is the world champion of kalaripayat

What type of wrestling--some traditional type? Because they aren't good at Olympic wrestling. In 116 years, they've medalled 4 times in Greco and freestyle combined. Zero golds. Italy has 20 overall and 7 golds, for comparison.

Not so much now, but 100 years ago their best used to rape our best. The Great Gama vs. Stanislaus Zbyszko should be mandatory reading for fans of wrestling history.

This is what I was thinking. India isnt good at anything.

Not so much now, but 100 years ago their best used to rape our best. The Great Gama vs. Stanislaus Zbyszko should be mandatory reading for fans of wrestling history.

How come they were only raping "us" in mythical matches that happened in India as opposed to legit international competition like the Olympics?

Work.

i doubt anyone is going to say they're base is what they do during their warmup.

How come they were only raping "us" in mythical matches that happened in India as opposed to legit international competition like the Olympics?

Work.

I'd say Great Gama was a legit badass but that's about it. Probably the only world class wrestler India has produced. Indian folk wrestling is a variation of traditional Persian koshti. While as Iran has been churning out wrestling machines and Olympic champions, India, inspite of similar 'folk style' produces mediocre wrestlers who barely manage a couple of medals in olympics. For all its history of folk wrestling, India produces below average wrestlers.

kalaripayattu_kick.gif

Here is an excercise kick:(not intended for sparring/fights)

I reckon that this type of kick excercise can help pervent injuries by ensuring that the body goes through various motions in different sequences.

You should open an MMA gym. You could revolutionize the sport with new stretching techniques.

There would be a "pre-Kalaripayattu stretching era" and everything after would just be on an insanely different level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back