Any fighters with Kalaripayattu background in the ufc?

How come they were only raping "us" in mythical matches that happened in India as opposed to legit international competition like the Olympics?

Work.

Well, technically Gama went around the world beating people but eventually ran out of people who would face him. As for why this style does not rule in the Olympics, well, it's because this is a specific style that has some relevance to traditional wrestling, but not a whole ton. It's far closer to submission-style wrestling/judo that, by the time the Olympics took full stream, this style (like catch wrestling) sorta lost mainstream popularity.

By your account, Frank Gotch, George Hackenschmidt, Ed Lewis, Lou Thesz, and Stanislaus Zbyszko were pretty worthless too since these silly submission wrestling guys never won medals in the Olympics?

If you honestly think you could find a Gold Medalist in the Olympics that could beat one of these guys in a fight you are a magician. Because none of them ever appeared.

When India's wrestlers figure out that there is money in MMA, watch out. Some fierce, fierce badasses there.

This Kalapayatta whatever stuff...not so much.

Yea, India took home a silver and a bronze in wrestling at the last Olympics.

Those guys are probably getting their computer science degrees now.

Well, technically Gama went around the world beating people but eventually ran out of people who would face him. As for why this style does not rule in the Olympics, well, it's because this is a specific style that has some relevance to traditional wrestling, but not a whole ton. It's far closer to submission-style wrestling/judo that, by the time the Olympics took full stream, this style (like catch wrestling) sorta lost mainstream popularity.

By your account, Frank Gotch, George Hackenschmidt, Ed Lewis, Lou Thesz, and Stanislaus Zbyszko were pretty worthless too since these silly submission wrestling guys never won medals in the Olympics?

If you honestly think you could find a Gold Medalist in the Olympics that could beat one of these guys in a fight you are a magician. Because none of them ever appeared.

No. I'm not saying any one or two or three individuals were worthless; I'm saying that finding one guy in over a century who may have been considered really good doesn't mean anything when we're talking about the culture of sport in that country. India is not very good at wrestling in international competition. Maybe that guy was, just like maybe Hackenschmidt and Zbyszko were. But we'd need to look at a lot more data over a long period of time to come to a conclusion about the strength of wrestling in their respective countries.

India's track record is not good.

Seems like a pretty typical bullshit TMA.

When the pressure point stuff doesn't work, the explanation is "it doesn't work on everyone" meaning it doesn't work on anyone except the brainwashed disciples. Typical bullshido right there.

That's disrespectful, don't you think?

And false. They kick ass in weightlifting (though they juice like crazy) and they also excel in shooting. They always do very well in shooting.

And false. They kick ass in weightlifting (though they juice like crazy) and they also excel in shooting. They always do very well in shooting.

Most poor countries do poorly on the olympics, India is average because it's poor and that's it.

If mma became popular in india and people sensed they could make money out of it they could produce some decent fighters, they have 1+ billion people and some martial arts tradition.

About the topic, this looks like some standard tma, too much focus on tradition instead of fighting, although it could be ok if they focused on training what works.

I was playing basketball outside the reccenter and I noticed that there was an event going inside the center. I went inside and saw what seemed like a cross between kungfu,Yoga and Pencak Silat.

I then realized it is Kalaripayattu and it has tons of excercises both in striking as well as joint locking + tons of conditioning and flexibility drills and even weapons training.

So I know its important to be well-versed in other arts, but have there been a Kalaripayattu practioner/representitive in the ufc similar to how gsp represents the kyokushin spirit?

Here is Kalaripayattu:

^ Looks like Aikido to me, which means it won't work :icon_lol:.

ZsUoB.jpg

Which fight is that from???

Also, I understand and acknowledge that Kalaripayattu alone is a recipe for disaster if your going to fight in mma. But all I was asking is, if there is any kalaripayattu move that mma fighters can benefit from learning?

Back