Any benefits to NOT using chalk?

hydeandhyde

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I almost missed the last deadlift rep of my final set today because the bar was too slippery. on the other hand, there isn't any chalk when i grapple. opinions?

Deadlifting and grappling are two different things comparing the two is weird.

Chaulk is teh shit man get yourself some pronto.

When you're holding onto the bar in the deadlift, you are using supporting grip (I think that's the correct term.

When you are grappling, and you're holding their wrist, wouldn't crushing grip be more important?

from wiki;

The hand is an amazing human instrument, and can be used to grip objects in several ways. These different ways, and different types of grip strength, are typically quantified based on the way the hand is being used.

The crush grip is what is most commonly thought of as "grip". It involves a handshake-type grip, where the object being gripped rests firmly against the palm and all fingers. A strong crush grip is useful in bone-crushing handshakes or for breaking objects with pressure.

In a pinch grip, the fingers are on one side of an object, and the thumb is on the other. Typically, an object lifted in a pinch grip does not touch the palm. This is generally considered a weaker grip position. The pinch grip is used when grabbing something like a weight plate or lifting a sheet of plywood by the top edge.

A support grip typically involves holding something, such as the handle of a bucket, for a long time. This type of strength is epitomized by the "Farmer's walk", where the bucket is filled with sand or water, and carried over a long distance. A great deal of muscular endurance is necessary to have a good carrying grip.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer your actual question though haha.

besides ripping off pieces of skin the size of quarters off your hands there is no good uses for chalk

I might have to give chalk a try as my grip is shitting the bed on the deadlift.

If you need chalk, use it. It takes the slippery aspect away from lifting but your hand muscles don't respond less when you use chalk vs when you don't. That said, you should always focus on grabbing the bar with maximum force. Even if the weight you are using is sub-maximal.

Yeah, if you don't use it you won't get chalk all over your hands.

If i don't have chalk i grab a pair of clean socks and use it as gloves, socks are very good at absorbing moist and they are thin enough so you don't get the troubles of lifting gloves.

I almost missed the last deadlift rep of my final set today because the bar was too slippery. on the other hand, there isn't any chalk when i grapple. opinions?

Your opponents aren't going to have barbell arms. I don't think it's going to be useful sport specific type of training. Just use chalk so you can continue to increase the weight without it slipping.

When you're holding onto the bar in the deadlift, you are using supporting grip (I think that's the correct term.

When you are grappling, and you're holding their wrist, wouldn't crushing grip be more important?

from wiki;

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer your actual question though haha.

I think they are both using the same type of grip. My understanding is that crush grip is the ability to close your hand against resistance (e.g. a gripper, an apple you are trying to crush) while support grip is the ability to keep your hand closed with something trying to pull it open (e.g. heavy barbell, someone trying to yank their arm away). For deadlifts and BJJ in both case you are holding onto something and trying to not let go so it's support grip.

Yeah, if you don't use it you won't get chalk all over your hands.

+1 to this. This is why I usually don't use chalk. I notice a huge benefit in grip ability but I am OCD as fuck about having dirty hands.

Well chalk can get kind of messy, there's always liquid chalk I've heard of once. But chalk is a more beneficial thing than non-beneficial thing.

Well chalk can get kind of messy, there's always liquid chalk I've heard of once. But chalk is a more beneficial thing than non-beneficial thing.

Depends

I bought a refillable chalk ball and it's in a leather pouch. Chalk is therefore contained and mess a minimum. You only need a surface layer of chalk.

I sweat like a rapist in a prison so my grip is pretty bad during deadlifts. Now with chalk I'm quite happy.

If i don't have chalk i grab a pair of clean socks and use it as gloves, socks are very good at absorbing moist and they are thin enough so you don't get the troubles of lifting gloves.

and sherdog comes through once again lol

ok, I guess I 'll give chalk a try...

Back