• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any absinthe drinkers out there? Need recommendations.

BonyAcaiNogueiraBrothers

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've had Lucid, La Clandestine, and Vieux Carre. I enjoy absinthe. It's just that it's so expensive for anything with a decent reputation. It's hard to trust anything on the cheaper end since there's no reai legal definition and people just put whatever they want in it, add food coloring, and then lie on the label...because who's actually investigating?

Trying to find what's out there on the cheaper end and actually contains the three main herbs.

Pernod might be the best affordable absinthe that is carried by most liquor stores

It shows up in cocktails arond here but its not the real stuff with hallucinoges in it, so cannot help sorry

Artemisia absintium is an anti parasitic, makes me wonder if the liquor has some medicinal qualities. Probably why it got banned in the US, can't let the peasants have something even accidentally healthy that isn't a pharmaceutical.

Reactions: 666
Does today's absinthe sold in liquor store even really have very much of the good stuff in it though?

Last edited:
Absinthe is disgusting.

That reminds me... There was a type of liquor that was considered gross a few years back and people were drinking it as a challenge. Anyone remember the name?

Edit: found it. Jeppsum's Malort. And in my search I accidentally found something called Gilpin Family Whiskey, which is actually made from the urine of elderly diabetics. For reals.

And I'd still rather drink that than absinthe.

Last edited:
It shows up in cocktails arond here but its not the real stuff with hallucinoges in it, so cannot help sorry

Artemisia absintium is an anti parasitic, makes me wonder if the liquor has some medicinal qualities. Probably why it got banned in the US, can't let the peasants have something even accidentally healthy that isn't a pharmaceutical.

Does today's absinthe sold in liquor store even really have very much of the good stuff in it though?

All real absinthe (which is legal everywhere that allows alcohol these days) is the same as they had 130 years ago.

The Wormwood they use contains Thujone, which can cause hallucinations in large amounts. The issue is that if you were trying to drink absinthe for such effects, you'd die of alcohol poisoning longgg before you had hallucinations. The distillation process doesn't really result in a very high Thujone content. The US for example limits the amount of Thujone absinthe can have but it doesn't really matter cause none of the vintage recipes has anywhere near the legal limit.

It was just a smear campaign from the wine industry.

There was this guy that murdered his family one night after drinking a couple glasses of absinthe that morning a good 12+ hours prior. The wine industry jumped all over the story and dubbed it the "Absinthe Murders".

What they failed to mention is that the guy was a known raging alcoholic and spent the vast majority of his day drinking large amounts of wine.

The issue is that the wine industry fell due to a bacteria that killed grape production. Absinthe took it's place in culture. Once they got the grape industry back in business, they had to get people aways from absinthe and back to wine.

All real absinthe (which is legal everywhere that allows alcohol these days) is the same as they had 130 years ago.

The Wormwood they use contains Thujone, which can cause hallucinations in large amounts. The issue is that if you were trying to drink absinthe for such effects, you'd die of alcohol poisoning longgg before you had hallucinations. The distillation process doesn't really result in a very high Thujone content. The US for example limits the amount of Thujone absinthe can have but it doesn't really matter cause none of the vintage recipes has anywhere near the legal limit.

There was this guy that murdered his family one night after drinking a couple glasses of absinthe that morning a good 12+ hours prior. The wine industry jumped all over the story and dubbed it the "Absinthe Murders".

What they failed to mention is that the guy was a known raging alcoholic and spent the vast majority of his day drinking large amounts of wine.

The issue is that the wine industry fell due to a bacteria that killed grape production. Absinthe took it's place in culture. Once they got the grape industry back in business, they had to get people aways from absinthe and back to wine.
That's so interesting and not surprising. Thank you for the well thought out post man!

This guy knows his stuff, also any absinthe that gave you hallucinations was only because of an unregulated industry and other things get into it.

I've had Lucid, La Clandestine, and Vieux Carre. I enjoy absinthe. It's just that it's so expensive for anything with a decent reputation. It's hard to trust anything on the cheaper end since there's no reai legal definition and people just put whatever they want in it, add food coloring, and then lie on the label...because who's actually investigating?

Trying to find what's out there on the cheaper end and actually contains the three main herbs.

Vieux Pontarlier was probably my "go to" good price, great taste, beautiful bottle

Clandestine le Bleu was my "special treat" absinthe that I got on 2 occasions as a reward for myself. Maybe less expe sive now, I was getting killed on international shipping back in the day but maybe they are stocked in US now??

Another one the was popular at my basement bar with my band and friends was "Kubler" and that was pretty cost effective as I recall.

Screenshot_20240606_190626_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240606_190452_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240606_185844_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240606_185819_Chrome.jpg

Also I have a bottle of the "absinthe original" pictured on the left, which supposedly has higher thujone content. An awesome and pretty financially successful friend bought it for me from Chek republic around 10 years back.

It's...ok. but the bitterness is a bit much for me and I just like the taste better of a Pontarlier or even Lucid, which have a little more flavor and sweetness
(I drink absinthe without adding sugar)

Vieux Pontarlier was probably my "go to" good price, great taste, beautiful bottle

Clandestine le Bleu was my "special treat" absinthe that I got on 2 occasions as a reward for myself. Maybe less expe sive now, I was getting killed on international shipping back in the day but maybe they are stocked in US now??

Another one the was popular at my basement bar with my band and friends was "Kubler" and that was pretty cost effective as I recall.

View attachment 1046723View attachment 1046724View attachment 1046725View attachment 1046726

Also I have a bottle of the "absinthe original" pictured on the left, which supposedly has higher thujone content. An awesome and pretty financially successful friend bought it for me from Chek republic around 10 years back.

It's...ok. but the bitterness is a bit much for me and I just like the taste better of a Pontarlier or even Lucid, which have a little more flavor and sweetness
(I drink absinthe without adding sugar)
Definitely gonna look around for the first two. Appreciate it man.

Also worth noting that the Bohemian preparation of absinthe isn't traditional. Drink it how you want, just fyi if someone is considering what the "more traditional" way of drinking it is.

Also worth noting that the Bohemian preparation of absinthe isn't traditional. Drink it how you want, just fyi if someone is considering what the "more traditional" way of drinking it is.
Funny how it was created to hide the fact that most fake absinthe doesn't louche. It's insane to me that people would pay that much for a high proof spirit and then burn all the alcohol out of it.

Back