• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anthony Pettis on critics, bad fights and being called a gatekeeper.

It seems like a lot of people on this forum look for any excuse to bash Pettis, kind of the same way with Hendricks or Weidman.

Good old fashioned American HS/Collegiate Rasslin (Folkstyle) trumps all other forms of combat. Especially goofball TMAs like Tae Kwon Do (lmfao). Pettis is a perfect example of this.
I guess. Jones is the only "goat" candidate that wrestled in HS and he isn't a traditional wresler. If it makes you feel good to lie to yourself though, run with it. 'Merica and all.

Why do you assume people stop roiding because USADA is around?

in case you didn't notice, people still get caught. unless you think they were only juicing the times they get caught?

It's still pretty random and unfair to accuse RDA when there is nothing to back it up.

It's still pretty random and unfair to accuse RDA when there is nothing to back it up.

I'm basically accusing both of them tbh

I also don't think PED's mean a fighter is gonna make a fighter win

I'm pro-ped though, fwiw. I think it's dumb to limit recovery especially in a day where opiates are handed out to deal with pain so frequently resulting in addiction. better they do roids and recover than get addicted to pain killers. regulating is always better than outright banning.

To be fair, he finished the champ (Bendo) then a top contender (Gil Melendez) convincingly...and had some other nice KOs (Cerrone, etc.). Still, some of us were in denial about his loss to Clay Guida and his weaknesses against wrestlers.
Melendez and Henderson we're pretty good wrestlers who at the time had never been submitted and Guida has a win over RDA.

Last edited:
he was always a bit of a front runner.. he had a good run and was dangerous early on in fights. didnt take long for him to get exposed by wrestlers same guy that got dominated by clay guida

Is was only a matter of time until the grapplers caught up to him.

Its sadly only a matter of time until hes cut from the UFC these days....a short matter of time

But now he gets outstruck easily by Dustin fucking Poirier (who is very good but come on) and numerous other fighters, barely scrapes past Jim Miller and doesn't even finish him, and he just looks lost in many of his fights and doesn't look like a killer at all anymore. It isn't just grapplers. It is the strangest downfall I've ever seen in MMA, he literally began fighting much much worse. Even though it coincides with USADA, it's still strange and seems more of a mental thing than anything.

Gatekeeper would be a compliment for him nowadays

Yup, somehow that's actually true. He's got to be in danger of being cut, and he is in danger of losing to real gatekeepers. Poirier will likely end up a gatekeeper and he dusted Pettis.

But now he gets outstruck easily by Dustin fucking Poirier (who is very good but come on) and numerous other fighters, barely scrapes past Jim Miller and doesn't even finish him, and he just looks lost in many of his fights and doesn't look like a killer at all anymore. It isn't just grapplers. It is the strangest downfall I've ever seen in MMA, he literally began fighting much much worse. Even though it coincides with USADA, it's still strange and seems more of a mental thing than anything.

Yup, somehow that's actually true. He's got to be in danger of being cut, and he is in danger of losing to real gatekeepers. Poirier will likely end up a gatekeeper and he dusted Pettis.

Yea I would 100% agree its more mental than anything. When he was coming up he was finishing everyone. Lightening fast subs and headkick KOs. Then he got his ass handed to him, broke his confidence. Ever since then he has been fighting to not lose and not disappoint his coach, rather than fighting to kill his opponent.

Yea I would 100% agree its more mental than anything. When he was coming up he was finishing everyone. Lightening fast subs and headkick KOs. Then he got his ass handed to him, broke his confidence. Ever since then he has been fighting to not lose and not disappoint his coach, rather than fighting to kill his opponent.

Yep. And he's around 30, so it's not like he's old.

o7kitg.jpg
That's @MadDogMahoney. Dude pulls in more ass than donkey fisherman. Slept with his teacher in 4th grade even though he was homeschooled.

If he can string some wins there might be one more chance at a run.. LW is a stacked division you get a few chances and that's it.

Maybe getting on the Wheaties box has the same effect as getting your girlfriend's name tattooed on you.

That tight little armbar he hit on Benson was one of my favorite ‘bars in the UFC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back