Anthony Pettis' last five wins and losses (mostly upper tier elites)

Last five losses:
  1. Nate Diaz, UD at WW
  2. Tony Ferguson, TKO
  3. Dustin Poirier, TKO, (after the ref stood the fight up when Pettis had a locked triangle)
  4. Max Holloway, TKO,
  5. Edson Barboza, UD
Not the worst list in the world of names to lose to.
Here are his last five wins:
Stephen Thomson, KO
Michael Chiesa, Submission
Jim Miller, UD
Charles Olivera, Submission
Gilbert Melendez, Submission
When you factor in his resume, this is some tough shit. Ferriera is by far the least accomplished guy he's fought in a very long time.

giphy.gif

Pettis' resume is top notch. Pettis vs Conor is one very interesting matchup you don't hear about often

What the hell happened to Pettis's submission game. It used to be his strongest game, now it appears to be his weakest.
It's not his weakest at all. He submitted Michael Chiesa a little over a year ago which is a decent accomplishment. He also submitted Olivera. However, submitting Nate proved difficult (despite that Pettis did well in those grappling exchanges) and his fight with Wonderboy didn't hit the ground. The video above shows how close he was to submitting Poirier.

Pettis is still very dangerous but this is a tough fight for him. He's got a weird habit of trying to fight his opponents fights and prove himself.
If he tries to fight like he did against Diaz, Poirier and Ferg (can't blame him for this one) than Pettis is probably going to get Guida'd again.
If he sets up his range, throws effective kicks (with confidence) and gets his counters going with feints to properly negate the insane pressure like he did against Bendo, Melendez (such an underrated win) and Chiesa I think Pettis can take this rather easily and maybe even score a nice finish.

But with his game planning and confidence issues it's hard to bet on him, gun to my head i'd pick Carlos. Just never know where Pettis' head is.

Last five losses:
  1. Nate Diaz, UD at WW
  2. Tony Ferguson, TKO
  3. Dustin Poirier, TKO, (after the ref stood the fight up when Pettis had a locked triangle)
  4. Max Holloway, TKO,
  5. Edson Barboza, UD

Not the worst list in the world of names to lose to.

Here are his last five wins:

Stephen Thomson, KO
Michael Chiesa, Submission
Jim Miller, UD
Charles Olivera, Submission
Gilbert Melendez, Submission

When you factor in his resume, this is some tough shit. Ferriera is by far the least accomplished guy he's fought in a very long time.

Wow, the Melendez fight was when Pettis was the LW champ, like 2013 or so? That's the flip side of your post...his list of wins has been sparse in recent years.

What the hell happened to Pettis's submission game. It used to be his strongest game, now it appears to be his weakest.

His submissions and scrambling have always been very good...his wrestling and TDD have never been. A good wrestler can hold him on the ground (or against the cage like Eddie Alvarez did) and nullify his subs and scrambling. None of that has ever changed.

Anthony can shift momentum of the fights with big moves and has more dangerous guard, but he can't box nearly as good as Sergio, nor he is that good of a counterpuncher and his footwork is non-existent compared to Sergio's.

If Anthony can't discourage you with a one big shot, he's probably losing to you. Sergio can jab, feint, draw reactions, etc.

Speaking of wins, you don't beat someone like Joe Benavidez by being less skilled than Anthony Pettis.
Benavidez was never champion for a reason

Anthony's wins over Benson >>> anything Sergio has ever done

I like Pettis, I really do.

I can forgive the RDA beatdown, the Eddie wall and stall, the Barboza leg battery, the body snatching of Max, the game effort in defeat against a prime Dustin, and getting drowned in pressure by Tony - but when you're getting wrestlefucked by NATE FUCKING DIAZ, then I've officially given up hope.

Back