another squat thread :(

Shangrilah

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how anyone manages to prevent their knees going past their toes without falling on their ass when they reach the bottom of a squat.

I know I'm doing something wrong because I feel my squats entirely in my knees and not in my hips at all. I'm sticking my butt out like a music video ho but I still can't manage to feel anything in the hips. If I consciously try to keep my knees behind my toes, I just fall on my ass in humiliating fashion.

I heard from a friend that I should try bodyweight squats facing a wall, with my toes touching it. Is this humanly possible? I always end up doing the same thing when attempthing this: first my face squishes into the wall, and as I keep going down I once again fall on the ol' derriere.

I'm pretty sure my knees track out past my toes.

I don't know. I don't really think to much while squatting. I just sit back like I'm about to sit on the toilet.

Maybe your stance isn't wide enough, and your toes aren't pointing out enough? I can't give you exact numbers or distances here because everyone's different.

Or you can do as Rippetoe suggests (I read it from the wiki I think). Clasp your hands together, squat down with your ass as close to your calves as you can and place your elbows on the inside of your knees. This is how your squat setup should look.

Please note that I am no expert.

A bunch of factors potentially play into the problem you're talking about.

From what I've seen, not everybody's gonna be capable of a perfect shins-vertical squat descent. I think you should try to find a squat stance that feels stable and see how it works out for you over a period of weeks or months.

As far as why you're falling down --

Could be form -- are you pushing your knees outward when you descend? Are you trying to "sit down between your knees?" Are you leaning forward somewhat?

Could be your allometry, ie. body proportions.

Can you post a video?

Also --

How far apart are your feet when you try to squat and fall?

Have you had problems with your knees when you squatted and your knees went past your toes?

In addition to what flak said, squatting low bar will help your shins stay more vertical, as will squatting in a flatter shoe, like chucks. Also, a wider stance will have your shins more vertical than a narrower one.

Although I don't think it's something to be concerned about, as long as everything else is good, and the kness track inline with the feet, whether or not they go over the toes isn't a big deal.

For example

My anecdotal contribution. When I first started squatting, I would fall on my ass because 1) the weight was too much for where I was physically and 2) my balance and my form needed work.

I'm not sure if that speaks to your problems but you should consider it.

I'm just wondering how anyone manages to prevent their knees going past their toes without falling on their ass when they reach the bottom of a squat.

I know I'm doing something wrong because I feel my squats entirely in my knees and not in my hips at all. I'm sticking my butt out like a music video ho but I still can't manage to feel anything in the hips. If I consciously try to keep my knees behind my toes, I just fall on my ass in humiliating fashion.

I heard from a friend that I should try bodyweight squats facing a wall, with my toes touching it. Is this humanly possible? I always end up doing the same thing when attempthing this: first my face squishes into the wall, and as I keep going down I once again fall on the ol' derriere.

bar is probably too high, and you aren't spreading the floor

Nothing wrong with your knees going past your toes, within reason. In fact, I believe Rippetoe recommends that the knees go slightly past your toes in SS. How far apart are your feet and at what angle?

Although I don't think it's something to be concerned about, as long as everything else is good, and the kness track inline with the feet, whether or not they go over the toes isn't a big deal.

This.

Back