• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Another reason why GSP is the GOAT

I agree, it’s silly to compare Khabib to:

- A fighter that tapped to strikes against a 5’4 journeyman

- A fighter that failed multiple PED tests

- A fighter that lost a title match in 10 seconds and never recovered

- A fighter that the UFC didn’t even want and got traded for Ben Askren(a boring, nothing special fighter that was arguably already washed) despite still being near his prime
lmfao you must be retarded, laughed at the aldo one

KOed by an overweight 155er in his prime and tapped to strikes. Also submit in his prime. Never fully subjected to the usada testing pool. Most boring champion in the history of the sport by a large margin. When he was on top the only ppl who cared to watch were his Canadian fans, never had the same allure as Jones or silva. Anyone who isn't new to this sport knows this.

Serra's fight is the biggest upset in MMA's History and a real faux pas and yeah he tapped against Hughes but c'mon man;

Hughes was top 5 mma fighter overall in the UFC at that point (still #2 best WW ever IMO) and the Serra fight was an accident.
Every time GSP had to go through the WW murder row after a loss because rematches wasn't a thing back than. He got the best resume of all time too, beating legends left and right, and easily at that.

He actually fought for USADA and quit UFC because he didn't want to fight chemical monsters like Hendricks anymore and had better numbers than anybody else at that time.

Don't be a hater bro, and accept the fact that GSP is the GOAT. It will feel right to you too

Serra's fight is the biggest upset in MMA's History and a real faux pas and yeah he tapped against Hughes but c'mon man;

Hughes was top 5 mma fighter overall in the UFC at that point (still #2 best WW ever IMO) and the Serra fight was an accident.
Every time GSP had to go through the WW murder row after a loss because rematches wasn't a thing back than. He got the best resume of all time too, beating legends left and right, and easily at that.

He actually fought for USADA and quit UFC because he didn't want to fight chemical monsters like Hendricks anymore and had better numbers than anybody else at that time.

Don't be a hater bro, and accept the fact that GSP is the GOAT. It will feel right to you too
Be honest you actually think GSP was a clean fighter? You don’t find it at least a little bit suspicious that he never got tested under usada and left the sport during which he was never in a testing pool and had plenty of time to cycle steroids. Then he returns for one fight where he’s abnormally big and barley can hold on the weight. Then he announces that he has some stomach issue and can’t fight at that weight anymore (lol good timing). All that being said idgaf if he was a cheater because this is professional sports and 85% of the roster is using. My point is don’t idealize these people because you know nothing about them other than their chosen occupation. His skill set was ahead of his time but sport is young and evolving quick still. Guys coming up now have the same skill set as gsp early in their careers. Still the most boring champion in UFC history tho

Also, looking at opponents combined records, rank, and winning streak when they fought Georges makes the case even clearer.

False. Hughes is a giant outlier that skews those numbers outrageously when you count him three times.

...because rematches wasn't a thing back than.

Then*

GSP spent 32.14% of his entire professional career against 4 people. 33% (1/3rd) of his WW fights were against 4 guys.

The fucking revisionist and delusional bullshit pushed by GSP fanbois never ceases to amaze me. Literally trying to change history, math, and reality in order to falsely claim their favorite was the best eva.

Fuckin nuts.

Be honest you actually think GSP was a clean fighter? You don’t find it at least a little bit suspicious that he never got tested under usada and left the sport during which he was never in a testing pool and had plenty of time to cycle steroids. Then he returns for one fight where he’s abnormally big and barley can hold on the weight. Then he announces that he has some stomach issue and can’t fight at that weight anymore (lol good timing). All that being said idgaf if he was a cheater because this is professional sports and 85% of the roster is using. My point is don’t idealize these people because you know nothing about them other than their chosen occupation. His skill set was ahead of his time but sport is young and evolving quick still. Guys coming up now have the same skill set as gsp early in their careers. Still the most boring champion in UFC history tho

191 lbs is abnormally big to you. At his peak at WW he was 188. Gaining 3 lbs makes him abnormally big?

191 lbs is abnormally big to you. At his peak at WW he was 188. Gaining 3 lbs makes him abnormally big?
Lol you read my statement and that’s all you got from it? The narrative at the time was how big he was, there’s no way you don’t remember that. Or u just one of those people who look at Wikipedia records after the fact and determine goat status like that?

If you actually had some MMA knowledge you would know its impossible to not consider GSP the Goat
I think it's impossible to narrow it down to one singular GOAT

But I think it's pretty undeniable that GSP had one of, if not the most well rounded skillset in the game. The only other guy I think has shown to comparably excel in every single area of MMA to the same level (and isn't a drug cheat) is DJ.

I think it's impossible to narrow it down to one singular GOAT

But I think it's pretty undeniable that GSP had one of, if not the most well rounded skillset in the game. The only other guy I think has shown to comparably excel in every single area of MMA to the same level (and isn't a drug cheat) is DJ.
DJ is the most underrated fighter in goat talks. maybe him and cruz.

DJ at this point is an undeniable top 5 goat.

I love how the majority of Sherdoggers had Usman over GSP as the WW GOAT lol now that he's been KTFO and sent to the shadowrealm, he's no longer in the talks

Oh how fickle Sherdog is.

Lol you read my statement and that’s all you got from it? The narrative at the time was how big he was, there’s no way you don’t remember that. Or u just one of those people who look at Wikipedia records after the fact and determine goat status like that?

He was 191 in the octagon against Bisping. You are spewing horseshit. I tell you actual data, you go by "look how big he was".

I determine goat status by resume.

GSP has the best resume in all mma :

Most top 5 wins in mma history
Most top 10 wins in mma history.
Beat multiple guys that were ranked top 10 p4p at the time of the fight.
Did it in one of the 2 most stacked mma divisions historically (the other being lw).
Beat guys when they were red hot, at the peak of their career. Not old washed up guys like most the guys Jones fought. Not guys on a small 2-3 win streaks like Silva.

There's been TONS of new information in this thread. Thanks, guys!

DJ is the most underrated fighter in goat talks. maybe him and cruz.

DJ at this point is an undeniable top 5 goat.

DJ is #3 all-time in terms of accomplishments. He gets overlooked so much on here it's sickening. Greatness is about accomplishments and accolades.

I love how the majority of Sherdoggers had Usman over GSP as the WW GOAT lol now that he's been KTFO and sent to the shadowrealm, he's no longer in the talks

Oh how fickle Sherdog is.

Usman was very close to surpassing GSP, and isn't retired yet.

DJ is #3 all-time in terms of accomplishments. He gets overlooked so much on here it's sickening. Greatness is about accomplishments and accolades.

Usman was very close to surpassing GSP, and isn't retired yet.
Yeah well that aura is gone now from Usman.

He was 191 in the octagon against Bisping. You are spewing horseshit. I tell you actual data, you go by "look how big he was".

I determine goat status by resume.

GSP has the best resume in all mma :

Most top 5 wins in mma history
Most top 10 wins in mma history.
Beat multiple guys that were ranked top 10 p4p at the time of the fight.
Did it in one of the 2 most stacked mma divisions historically (the other being lw).
Beat guys when they were red hot, at the peak of their career. Not old washed up guys like most the guys Jones fought. Not guys on a small 2-3 win streaks like Silva.
Also most boring champion of all time and the one with the most decisions, can’t forget that.

Its easy to pad stats when you have had the most pedestrian run of title contenders to fend off. Josh Koscheck went 0-6 to end his average career all by finishes. Dan Hardy is an all time fight analyst, thats where it ends. Thiago Silva went 6-10 to finish his overrated career where his biggest wins were washed Karo and Old Hughes. Speaking of an almost 40 Hughes, thats when Georges finally beat him..in the twilight of his career which included a stoppage of gsp in Georges' prime. What about the fact in his very first title defense he turned Matt Serra into a legend by getting ko'd by a journeyman lw. Condit went 2-9 to finish his career. Bj beat the piss out of him in the first fight and was robbed in one of the worst decisions of all time and then fought gsp as a lw. Hendricks beat him senseless and yet another robbery awarded to Georges.

Not to mention ducking Anderson Silva for a decade.

Yeah, if this guy is the goat then ive been watching a different sport for the last 18 years.
Damn that’s how you feel man? That’s how you feel? Me to but damn that’s how you feel?

Then*

GSP spent 32.14% of his entire professional career against 4 people. 33% (1/3rd) of his WW fights were against 4 guys.

The fucking revisionist and delusional bullshit pushed by GSP fanbois never ceases to amaze me. Literally trying to change history, math, and reality in order to falsely claim their favorite was the best eva.

Fuckin nuts.

Hughes and Prime BJ Penn are all time great fighters so it's not that bad lol
Koscheck was a monster too, who just had the misfortune to fight in the GSP Era

Back