Another Push/Pull/Squat Routine Review Request

datadog

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Howdy Folks, for the past few weeks I've been working on improving my workout routine. I apologize in advance if this sounds too much like sylva's thread from the 13th, and I have incorporated some of the wisdom shared in that thread to make my workout design better (at least I hope it's better). I wanted to get a feel for this one as a whole to see if it works with the changes. Most of the ideas have been taken from reading the boards, stickies, links and playing with Urban's workout generator.

If you have any advice on how to improve the training regiment, reorder things or if you spotted any holes then please let me know.

The background everyone always wants to know: 33, 6'3", 280lbs. Goals: Getting in better shape, continue rehabbing knees till I can shove real weight and lose a few pounds

datadog said:
Pull Day: [Monday]
Main: Deadlifts
Rows (Do 1): Bent-Over Rows / Heavy Upright Rows
Assisters (Do 1): Straight-Leg Deadlifts / Weighted Chin-ups / Weighted Pull-ups
Abs: Superset: Weighted Leg-Hip Raise & Weighted Incline Twisting Crunch

Push Day: [Wednesday]
Main (Either): Barbell Bench / Dumbbell Bench
Main: Standing Overhead Press
Assisters (Do 1): Incline Barbell/Dumbbell Bench Press / Weighted Triceps Dip
Assisters (Do 1): Close Grip Bench Press / Weighted Chest Dip

Squat Day: [Friday]
Main: Barbell Squat
Main: Good Mornings
Assisters (Do 1): Overhead Squat / Front Squat
Abs: Superset: Weighted Crunch (Machine)*** & Saxon Side Bends

I bolded a couple of concerns. On Mon (deadlift day) youre working deadlifts and back. Although upright rows are a pulling motion they focus on your shoulders. I'd strike them from that day and let your shoulders get worked on push day.

You've also got good mornings on deadlift day. I'd save those hamstring exercises for leg (squat) day. Keep deadlift day as a pulling/back day. Let squat day handle your legs, and push day work your shoulders.

That's just the tweaks I'd make personally though.

i don't mind weighted crunch machines that much

KOU In3 said:
I bolded a couple of concerns. On Mon (deadlift day) youre working deadlifts and back. Although upright rows are a pulling motion they focus on your shoulders. I'd strike them from that day and let your shoulders get worked on push day.

You've also got good mornings on deadlift day. I'd save those hamstring exercises for leg (squat) day. Keep deadlift day as a pulling/back day. Let squat day handle your legs, and push day work your shoulders.

That's just the tweaks I'd make personally though.

Thanks for the feedback! I had added the heavy upright pulls since Carnal was given them props for strong traps (I really don't care how they look, just figure strong traps would do me well for grappling). I'm not overly in love with that exercise though :)

I have good mornings on squat day, but I think you mean Straight-Leg Deadliufts. So it's better to keep the SLD on a different day that regular Deads? If so, should they get moved to Squat day, or would the good mornings be sufficient to handle the task?

Again, thanks for the review KOU!

Well, you'll find some of the other regulars here at odds with my opinion since I come from more of a bodybuilding background. So I tend to divide things a bit more by bodyparts than some here.

It's not that I'm not in favor of the exercises I mentioned. Just that I'd reorganize them a bit. Both SLD and GM's are primarily for your hams. You can work them with deadlifts and lower back well. But I normally would do that on more of a bodybuilding split where I'm separating my hams and quads.

Basicly I'd use deadlifts as my biggest mass builder on back day, and follow it up with heavy barbell rows and weighted chins, etc.

On push day I'd focus on barbell benchpress, military or push press, and weighted dips. This is where I'd insert the heavy upright rows personally if you want them and follow them with your assisters like close grip bench, etc.

On squat day I'd use squats as my biggest mass movement and follow it up with front squats, good mornings and overheads.

In all honesty you could probably do with a fourth movement on most of these workout days. I normally try to go for 3 compound movements and a couple of single joint movements per workout (this is where I'll get flamed) for about 15 working sets per workout (9 compound movement sets and 6 sets of 'isolation' like shoulder flies, hamstring curls, or triceps press downs).

The last part though is what I like on a more hypertrophy (bodybuilding IMO) routine that I follow. But it isn't necessarily going to go over as well in here. :wink:

KOU In3 said:
Upright rows teh suck.

Really puts the hurt on the shoulders for some reason for me.

Not enough volume overall, you are doing too much squatting on squat day, and not enough pulling on pull day IMO as well.

CarnalSalvation said:
Not enough volume overall, you are doing too much squatting on squat day, and not enough pulling on pull day IMO as well.

Cool, so what area should I add to the pull day. Another deadlift variant or something for the upper back? Sylva's similar thread had face pulls added to his pull day, would that be good or something like bent-over one arm rows?

Thanks for the reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back