Andrew Cancio released by Golden Boy

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/cancio-on-being-cut-by-golden-boy-whole-situation-f-ed-up--144608

Andrew Cancio lost his WBA junior lightweight title via TKO to Renee Alvarado on Saturday night. By Monday morning, he lost his promotional deal with Golden Boy as well when the company released the fighter from his contract.

Immediately before his fight against Alvarado, Cancio (21-5-2, 16 KOs) made disparaging remarks about Golden Boy to the Los Angeles Times about how his career and promotion was being handled by Oscar De La Hoya and company following his Cinderella story of winning the title against heavy favorite Alberto Machado in February, and defending it successfully again against Machado in June.

Cancio felt that his blue-collared image of balancing a backbreaking, full-time job as a construction technician at the Southern California Gas Co. — as well as being a champion — should have been promoted better in bigger venues, while making him more money along the way.

Instead, Golden Boy opted to further take no part in that narrative and released Cancio three days before Thanksgiving.

“The whole situation is f---ed up. I’m already down on myself for the way I lost my belt, and now, it’s like ‘let’s just put this on you,’” Cancio told BoxingScene.com in an interview Tuesday. “It’s unfortunate how it all happened. I wanted a rematch with Alvarado, and they didn’t want to give me one.

“My whole career I’ve been at Fantasy Springs [in Indio, Calif.]. Don’t get me wrong, I love it there, but I wanted to move around and get promoted better to build up my fan base and build more exposure. That’s how I felt, and I still feel that way. Ryan Garcia beat Golden Boy up a lot worse than what I did. I just said the truth, but they signed Ryan to a big contract, and paid him more money than they paid me.”

Talk out you butt, get cut?

Don’t flap your gums if you’re a bum?

it's not like their golden goose in Canelo has had good things to say about GB lately either

Canelo and Ryan Garcia have gone on record bashing Golden boy also. That company is basically this 2 guys. The rest of the cards have 0 following nor names

Thats a dumb move by GBP, they could have fed him to Garcia, it makes the most sense, Garcia is yet to fight a former world champ, both are from the Riverside area, sounds to me like GBP’s funds are all on Canelo and Garcia and trying to cut expenses.

Canelo and Ryan Garcia have gone on record bashing Golden boy also. That company is basically this 2 guys. The rest of the cards have 0 following nor names
JoJo Diaz, Munguia, and also Wanheng Menayothin has the best record in boxing

JoJo Diaz, Munguia, and also Wanheng Menayothin has the best record in boxing

Fighting against whom?

munguia got schooled by Dennis Hogan in his last fight. Highly overrated. Now he is facing O’Sollivan’? Christ

Fighting against whom?

munguia got schooled by Dennis Hogan in his last fight. Highly overrated. Now he is facing O’Sollivan’? Christ
Hogan wasn't Munguia's last fight.

Hogan wasn't Munguia's last fight.

I don’t care, still overrated.

he couldn’t sell out a small hard rock “the joint” venue in Las Vegas. That I went live. So he is no big name

I don’t care, still overrated.

he couldn’t sell out a small hard rock “the joint” venue in Las Vegas. That I went live. So he is no big name
And Deontay Wilder can't sell out just about any fight to save his life. Couldn't even do it at home in Alabama. Fury couldn't even sell out against Wallin where he only had 7,475 show up and about half were comped tickets

Hell, Canelo/Kovalev wasn't even a sell out

it's not like their golden goose in Canelo has had good things to say about GB lately either
For sure, and I’m NOT defending GBP, but you’ve got to know your role.

Canelo can say whatever the fuck he wants, for obvious reasons, but if you’re a foot soldier you keep your head down.

Still, if GB wants to make Ryan Garcia vs Cancio, they could do it tomorrow, and they don’t need to have Cancio on a retainer to make it happen.

And Deontay Wilder can't sell out just about any fight to save his life. Couldn't even do it at home in Alabama. Fury couldn't even sell out against Wallin where he only had 7,475 show up and about half were comped tickets

Hell, Canelo/Kovalev wasn't even a sell out

Now you are going to compare Munguia to wilder ?
Wtf lol’

you must be one of 1,500 fans still rooting for golden boy

Now you are going to compare Munguia to wilder ?
Wtf lol’

you must be one of 1,500 fans still rooting for golden boy
Im just pointing out that just about nobody is selling out arenas right now

Im just pointing out that just about nobody is selling out arenas right now
You cant compare selling out arenas to selling out venues a tenth of the size..... putting butts in the seat at an arena but not selling out > selling out a gymnasium..

You cant compare selling out arenas to selling out venues a tenth of the size..... putting butts in the seat at an arena but not selling out > selling out a gymnasium..
Tyson Fury wouldn’t have even of sold out the small theatre at MSG his last fight. They literally comped about 3500 of the 7500 in attendance

Tyson Fury wouldn’t have even of sold out the small theatre at MSG his last fight. They literally comped about 3500 of the 7500 in attendance
Fury and Wilder are draws the fighters you mentioned are not.
Fury and Wilder could headline and main event a card on their own. They are big names. The fighters you mentioned couldn't.

Fury and Wilder are draws the fighters you mentioned are not.
Fury and Wilder could headline and main event a card on their own. They are big names. The fighters you mentioned couldn't.
Except Munguia sold out a 17,000 seat arena against Hogan and Wilder and Fury haven’t been able to sell out similar size arenas lately.

Like I mentioned Fury only sold about 4-5K tickets his last fight, in an arena that holds about 16,000. Wilder/Ortiz 1, and Wilder/Fury 1 which pitted 2 top 4 HW’s against each other with world titles on the line, both didn’t sell out.

Back