Andre Galvao toying with people...

Wrestleboxers are just a tough style match up for most "pure" BJJ guys. They can wait for you to come to them and capitalize on your mistakes, or they can push the pace, come forward, and tag you whilst defending the takedown. There's a reason why so many of these guys are at the top of the food chain, namely because they can do the two things that win mma fights: a) Determine where the fight takes place b) Inflict damage.

Those of you arguing exclusively in favor of one factor are ignoring the importance of how these two disciplines work in tandem with one another. The same could be said for BJJ guys with a high level of wrestling (Example: Jake Shields). It's both together that produces results, not one or the other.

he should do more wrestling or Judo ..

but he's one of the best bjj fighters ever.. love his style

i thought it was pretty clear that if he doesn't outstrike his opponent he would lose because there was no way in hell he would take him down.

galvao's wrestling is good by bjj competition standards. but in mma he is less than stellar with it and the gray maynard types will fuck him up every single time if he doesn't improve his boxing significantly.

see, these wrestlers learn how to box and they're hard to beat. he needs to do the same, force people to want to take him down and submit them there.

point me to who else said that the wrestling was the key problem in this thread. ok exactly.
Im not trying to spin a single thing, and if you are confusing what a I said, then I suggest you slow down and try reading my posts again. If you dont care to, I will reitterate, It wasnt the wrestling that was the problem in this fight, it was Andre getting tagged and never recovering. can you actually argue against that? Didnt think so. To assess someones wrestling based on 1 single TD attempt is absurd. I dont care about his background and how decorated he may be, his wrestling skills were not what won this fight. It was his solid hands, period. If you are "Assessing" his skills from the fight based on the followed up takedown attempts, then I really feel for you... Andre NEVER recovered from that initial hit, and his other TD's were pathetic at best (not knocking andre, he was just rocked and COULDNT do anything else).

Again, tell me where I am wrong or trying to "spin" things :)

Trying to spin things because because you claim that you can't assess someone's wrestling on one TD attempt yet go on to point out that the other TD attempts "don't count" because he was rocked. So from your perspective, you can't be told otherwise. In this fight, the initial takedown was stuffed, then Galvao got rocked. Ipso facto knowing Woodley's wrestling background the failed takedown attempt was because of Woodley's superior wrestling. No one is denying the strikes came into play, but they wouldn't have had if it wasn't for Woodley's wrestling that kjept the fight standing.

Get it?

If not, I give up. Sometimes it's best to let the ignorant stay ignorant.

Trying to spin things because because you claim that you can't assess someone's wrestling on one TD attempt yet go on to point out that the other TD attempts "don't count" because he was rocked. So from your perspective, you can't be told otherwise. In this fight, the initial takedown was stuffed, then Galvao got rocked. Ipso facto knowing Woodley's wrestling background the failed takedown attempt was because of Woodley's superior wrestling. No one is denying the strikes came into play, but they wouldn't have had if it wasn't for Woodley's wrestling that kjept the fight standing.

Get it?

If not, I give up. Sometimes it's best to let the ignorant stay ignorant.

Lol whatever helps you sleep at night princess

i have trained with him here in san diego.

he is always stressing for us to be on our toes. always moving. always. no stalling. move move move. and of course always finish.

he loves judo, he was part of the teles/terere team and has their style, he loves gymnastics style movements. it is a conscious effort on his part to have a game like that.

being a smaller guy, 135lbs, you always hear about how fast and nimble you should be, so it is really great to roll with someone who can show you what that is really like.

he is just relentless. and im happy to be learning that style of bjj.
You're one LUCKY DUDE!!! DO you still train with him?

Sorry but these people rolling with him should have their blue/purple belts stripped from them. No opponent should be able to do this to you, it doesn't matter if you're rolling with fucking Roger Gracie. Sitting on my back? Slapping my hand? What the hell! Grab a leg or an arm and hold it as if you life depended on it. It doesn't matter if you're swept or submitted, just fight for your fucking dignity.

Sorry but that was painful to watch. Shame on the people on this video.

uh.... without that amazing wrestling that stuffed everyone of Galvao's TD attempts he would have been on the ground and getting sub'd. Then his punches wouldn't have mattered... again.. pretty clear cut.

Amzing wrestling? Noons was able to stuff every one of Nick Diaz's takedowns in both fights and he isn't a wrestler. You don't have to have years of wrestling experience to learn how to sprawl, especially if your a great athlete.

Sorry but these people rolling with him should have their blue/purple belts stripped from them. No opponent should be able to do this to you, it doesn't matter if you're rolling with fucking Roger Gracie. Sitting on my back? Slapping my hand? What the hell! Grab a leg or an arm and hold it as if you life depended on it. It doesn't matter if you're swept or submitted, just fight for your fucking dignity.

lol. Go roll with him then get back to us douche.

i am having a series of surgeries that prevent me from training until feb of next year. so right now i am rolling with no one.

but if you are ever in little rio, i mean san diego, you owe it to yourself to check out his Atos school here.

i've got to roll with a lot of famous bb's and i really enjoy him the most.

You've obviously never rolled with a top notch grappler. If you and Galvao were cellmates in prison, and he wanted to rape you, there is absolutely nothing you could do to stop him.

Unfortunately, yes.
That was painful to watch.
He has to put more work into his standup if he legitimately wants to make a run in MMA.

Same here.
it hurt in here *points to heart... sobs*
Lol but anyway.
He does need to put more time in his stand up. More defense because from what I can recall his chin didn't hold up after being hit with a few punches.

then watch this video as he did it against a black belt in a open weight competition
YouTube - Andre Galvao - Match One (SportsExtreme Video)

Amzing wrestling? Noons was able to stuff every one of Nick Diaz's takedowns in both fights and he isn't a wrestler. You don't have to have years of wrestling experience to learn how to sprawl, especially if your a great athlete.

Nick isnt a great wrestler either. Infact he's pretty damn horrible at it. Thats mostly why he had a losing record in the UFC.

The point your trying to make is moot. It doesnt matter. The fact is that Tyrone IS AN AMAZING WRESTLER. Thats why his TD defence is great and Andre Galvao failed to take him down. Therefore he got KTFO.

This is not hard.

You've obviously never rolled with a top notch grappler. If you and Galvao were cellmates in prison, and he wanted to rape you, there is absolutely nothing you could do to stop him.

Baianada just needs to land the one uppercut and he'd rest safely.

i have trained with him here in san diego.

he is always stressing for us to be on our toes. always moving. always. no stalling. move move move. and of course always finish.

he loves judo, he was part of the teles/terere team and has their style, he loves gymnastics style movements. it is a conscious effort on his part to have a game like that.

being a smaller guy, 135lbs, you always hear about how fast and nimble you should be, so it is really great to roll with someone who can show you what that is really like.

he is just relentless. and im happy to be learning that style of bjj.

I recently trained with Rob Lovi and he uses this style (telles style, everything is reversed lol)

Last edited:
Back