and STILL Sergio Pettis could not fare in UFC Bantamweight division due to his size

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
We'll see obviously. I don't think it's fair to compare the SP Font fought to the one of today though. It takes time to fill into a new weight class and it looks to me optically that he has. He'll never be a big bantamweight, sure, but just in terms of size he's barely smaller today then a guy like Font himself. Similar weight class trajectory as a guy like Dustin Poirier.

We'll see obviously. I don't think it's fair to compare the SP Font fought to the one of today though. It takes time to fill into a new weight class and it looks to me optically that he has. He'll never be a big bantamweight, sure, but just in terms of size he's barely smaller today then a guy like Font himself. Similar weight class trajectory as a guy like Dustin Poirier.
Patchy would be huge even by big BW in UFC. I think him and Aljo are similar height but Patchy is way more built

Sergio's always been good. Only ever lost to top level guys once he hit his prime (post Caceres and Benoit losses).

Neither r big BWs but not is Cejudo. Like Frankie in his prime can trade speed for size. But speed declines with age b4 size n strength. There is a 73yrs grip strength champion, Odd H. DJ was overpowered by Dom at BW but phenomenal at fly. Pitbull is great but hope he goes back up. Looked too thin for his frame.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I see the difference. I see very crisp striking, as I always so, and the frame stayed pretty much the same
You may want to consider getting your eyes checked because his frame is noticeably more filled out and I can't imagine anybody seeing different. Not to mention everything Sergio himself has said on this subject (he feels stronger and more filled out, he could never make 125 again etc). Skill set wise is he a new fighter? Not really, but he's always been extremely good.

Sergio's always been good. Only ever lost to top level guys once he hit his prime (post Caceres and Benoit losses).
Pettis has a pretty incredible record (Moreno, Benavides, Archuleta, Horiguchi, and Pitbull). If he beats Mix, he has to be considered among the best BWs in the world.

It will be interesting to see the odds for Mix vs Pettis!

He doesn't have much frame to begin with....
The fact he became bloated enough not to get back to FLW doesn't mean it's more suitable for BW....
His performances at BW have been much better than at flyweight and he seems a lot stronger at BW as well.

See Rob Font's take on this, after he defeated Pettis:
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2018/12/rob-font-size-difference-sergio-pettis-ufc-on-fox-31

Do you think it's still a factor?
Obviously Bellator's BW division is not as deep as UFC's
But what about size difference, really?
So he fought a super drained version of Pitbull, OK. But what about very very big (and talented pretty much on UFC level) Patchy Mix?

Sergio while in the UFC fought mostly at FW. At FW he defeated the current UFC FW champion Brandon Moreno in a 5 round unanimous decision. Should that take away anything from Brandon Moreno being the current FW UFC champion? In the fight almost 5 years ago against Rob Font it was Sergio's first time moving up to BW division while with the UFC. I have to admit since that Font fight Sergio has grown into a very credible BW. He could give any of the current UFC top 3 BW's a run for their money.

His performances at BW have been much better than at flyweight and he seems a lot stronger at BW as well.

Really? At flyweight he was easily one of the top 5 in the whole world.
At BW, he's doing well in Bellator, and with all due respect to Bellator....

Sergio while in the UFC fought mostly at FW. At FW he defeated the current UFC FW champion Brandon Moreno in a 5 round unanimous decision. Should that take away anything from Brandon Moreno being the current FW UFC champion? In the fight almost 5 years ago against Rob Font it was Sergio's first time moving up to BW division while with the UFC. I have to admit since that Font fight Sergio has grown into a very credible BW. He could give any of the current UFC top 3 BW's a run for their money.

You're mixing it hard.
1. At flyweight, he was great, and his win over Moreno does not take anything away from Moreno, but rather adds to Pettis' 125 success overall.

2. His fight with Font was NOT the first time he tried BW in the UFC - he started as BW actually, and was submitted by Caceres (who was a huge BW, to his credit)

3. I truly don't see the difference between Pettis who fought Font and the Pettis of today. He has smaller competition (not even necessarily weaker, but they cut significantly less)

4. Top 3 BW vs Pettis? You mean Sterling, Dvalishvili, and who else? O'Malley? Two of them will put Pettis on his back easily - and to O'Malley he won't even get close - O'Malley is too huge, long, and hist like a truck both with punches and kicks

You're mixing it hard.
1. At flyweight, he was great, and his win over Moreno does not take anything away from Moreno, but rather adds to Pettis' 125 success overall.

2. His fight with Font was NOT the first time he tried BW in the UFC - he started as BW actually, and was submitted by Caceres (who was a huge BW, to his credit)

3. I truly don't see the difference between Pettis who fought Font and the Pettis of today. He has smaller competition (not even necessarily weaker, but they cut significantly less)

4. Top 3 BW vs Pettis? You mean Sterling, Dvalishvili, and who else? O'Malley? Two of them will put Pettis on his back easily - and to O'Malley he won't even get close - O'Malley is too huge, long, and hist like a truck both with punches and kicks
If you can't see that Pettis is noticably less skinny now idk what to tell you. Also he wouldn't touch O'Malley? Dunno about that. Pettis is one of the most technical feinters in the game. You're underrating his stand up. Merab, Aljo and Mix are all bad matchups for him though.

If you can't see that Pettis is noticably less skinny now idk what to tell you. Also he wouldn't touch O'Malley? Dunno about that. Pettis is one of the most technical feinters in the game. You're underrating his stand up. Merab, Aljo and Mix are all bad matchups for him though.

He's more muscular sure, so? He's still small and short.
I don't underrated his stand up, I just think he has too big of a disadvantage, size-wise, against strikers OMalley. Or Font

Really? At flyweight he was easily one of the top 5 in the whole world.
At BW, he's doing well in Bellator, and with all due respect to Bellator....
His wins at BW are much better than his Flyweight wins, you seem more focused on what promotion he is fighting for rather than who he is fighting.

He's more muscular sure, so? He's still small and short.
I don't underrated his stand up, I just think he has too big of a disadvantage, size-wise, against strikers OMalley. Or Font
More muscle makes you stronger. Being stronger means you'll be able to compete strength wise against larger guys. Your smoking gun is an interview from 2018 where Rob Font says the size advantage he held made a major difference. That size difference is significantly less pronounced right now. This isn't that hard.

We've never seen Sergio against someone who would want to strike with him the size of O'Malley. The length is important for sure, especially since O'Malley knows how to use it but it's not the only factor. If it was then whoever had the longer reach would just win automatically. Petr Yan has shorter reach than Sergio Pettis, just for what that's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeHawk
Back