Aldo's last run is looking better and better (A deeper look into his BW run)

If we had proper rules that did not heavily favor crotchsniffer ceos like merab (and proper preventive measures against epo, not saying merab was on epo but im also not not saying it), he would not have lost against merab.

The mErab fight made no sense at all since Merab was refusing to fight Aldo. That fight only had the potential of eliminating a top contender which it did. It thins out a division (a move ufc does often)

Anyways the much better fight would've been for

Yan vs TJ
Aldo vs Aljo
Sean v Cory
Merab v someone not in top 5 since he was not gonna fight for a belt any time soon

Aldo would've murked Aljo and gotten a 2nd belt and a great retirement story

Aldo was dumb to take the fight. At this point Merab looks like the undisputed #1 at BW and Aldo was his toughest fight

Im not not saying it either.

Im not sayin it tho!

ITS ALL SPECULATION

DAMN. I was just going off of common sense and eye test, didnt even know he had a freudian slip like that. Turns out it actually was possible for me to like Merab less. Hadnt thought so.

DAMN. I was just going off of common sense and eye test, didnt even know he had a freudian slip like that. Turns out it actually was possible for me to like Merab less. Hadnt thought so.
I actually like him alot and his style doesnt bother me at all.

BUT..............

Awesome write up TS. I think Aldo will be getting even more respect as the years go by. Nearly 10 years of going unbeaten and wrecking contenders.

Great thread and agreed with everything you said. Aldo is a legend and its a shame a lot of new fans never got to see him in WEC, he was lightning fast and reflexes of a cat. Also one of the best leg kickers ever, sadly when he came to UFC he stopped throwing leg kicks, which was a huge part of his game. GOAT

Even in Aldo's last "loss" he still looked amazing. I was more impressed with Aldo than Merab. Considering Merab took down Cejudo and Aldo shut him down in his last fight. Been watching Aldo since his WEC days and he had a hell of a career.

Aldo's one of the GOATs who never fell off skill wise. His skills were still great till the end. Hell, he's off winning boxing fights right now.

His only real loss that way was Conor where he did simply run into a better striker who could outstrike him. You can call a 13 second KO a fluke all you want, but the reality is Aldo was going to try and box with Conor and Conor was the better boxer. The result was likely going to be a Conor win, stop with the mythical leg kicking or BJJ Aldo that was never going to happen.

Aldo's problem with his other losses weren't skill related but cardio and fight duration related. Both of which had been problems all throughout his career. He was beating Holloway and Yan striking until he gassed, and Volk and Merab simply tied him up to waste out the only 3 round clock on him. Skillwise he was better than all of them but couldn't maintain it / have enough time to prove it.

Merab's really the only one of those I'd argue he'd have probably still lost even if he had better cardio and it was switched to 5 rounds as we know Merab could still just do that for 5 rounds even if it does give Aldp a better shot at landing something. Even if Aldo still equally maintains a perfect TDD all fight that's still a loss though, that's just the judging criteria that Merab pushing him against the fence for 25 minutes is still a win. Nobody would really walk away from it thinking Aldo's lost a step though as nobody else could attempt and fail 70 TDs on him.

But yeah, when Hominick rallied back to dribble his head off the canvas a decade ago I don't know how Aldo and his team didn't go full cardio mode. His skills were always elite, but he needed a better gas tank to utilize them fully.

One of the all time greats and an absolute legend of the sport. Thanks for the post, good review of his BW fights. Hespect!

<RomeroSalute>

Aldo was a beast, FW goat and top 5 UFC goat imo, he always had elite TDD, and I do agree his time at 35 was impressive considering he wasn't as good as he once was, you can tell he slowed down before he hit 35, which yes was shocking that he was able to make the weight , he was notorious for coasting the last two rounds during a lot of his 45 fights

Aldo's one of the GOATs who never fell off skill wise. His skills were still great till the end. Hell, he's off winning boxing fights right now.

His only real loss that way was Conor where he did simply run into a better striker who could outstrike him. You can call a 13 second KO a fluke all you want, but the reality is Aldo was going to try and box with Conor and Conor was the better boxer. The result was likely going to be a Conor win, stop with the mythical leg kicking or BJJ Aldo that was never going to happen.

Aldo's problem with his other losses weren't skill related but cardio and fight duration related. Both of which had been problems all throughout his career. He was beating Holloway and Yan striking until he gassed, and Volk and Merab simply tied him up to waste out the only 3 round clock on him. Skillwise he was better than all of them but couldn't maintain it / have enough time to prove it.

Merab's really the only one of those I'd argue he'd have probably still lost even if he had better cardio and it was switched to 5 rounds as we know Merab could still just do that for 5 rounds even if it does give Aldp a better shot at landing something. Even if Aldo still equally maintains a perfect TDD all fight that's still a loss though, that's just the judging criteria that Merab pushing him against the fence for 25 minutes is still a win. Nobody would really walk away from it thinking Aldo's lost a step though as nobody else could attempt and fail 70 TDs on him.

But yeah, when Hominick rallied back to dribble his head off the canvas a decade ago I don't know how Aldo and his team didn't go full cardio mode. His skills were always elite, but he needed a better gas tank to utilize them fully.
I think you make solid points, his boxing has always been good, but the two things that Aldo declined on were leg kicks and speed, you can tell he was slowing down towards the end of his career, maybe he beats Conor in a rematch if he decided to grapple, we will never know

I think you make solid points, his boxing has always been good, but the two things that Aldo declined on were leg kicks and speed, you can tell he was slowing down towards the end of his career, maybe he beats Conor in a rematch if he decided to grapple, we will never know
Aldo's entire game for the last 10+ years has been about forcing a boxing match where he's 95% of the time *usually* the better boxer.

- Elite TDD to keep it standing
- Elite scrambling back to his feet to get it standing again
- Elite leg checks to stop a kickboxing fight from occurring

His entire game is built around turning an MMA fight into a boxing match.

Aldo was robbed one last title shot in the end.
Honestly he quieted all doubters on his final run.
Overachiever what everyone thought he would do worse because they assumed he was washed.

no doubt in my mind at the time aldo was tearing the fw division
he can and will be a lw champ too if given the opportunity

the opportunity that current ufc give their champs

fighters like pereira
fighters like izzy
i mean wat d fk bro izzy is like 2-2 in his last fights but still given a shot

Back