Analysis of Kostya: A request for Sinistar

at ~2min into the first video, the part where Kostya is catching the coin from his partner is very similar to what some strength coaches call drop training. It was termed as the next big, functional thing back in about 2004/2007 but to this day, you can't find too much about it online whereas you can find almost anything on the internet. Basically, you are training your neuromuscular ability to suddenly accelerate from a dead stop and contract your muscles very rapidly to produce a quick movement. I found the conceptual link between this type of training and what Kostya was doing to be very interesting

can you elaborate Sinister on what you see as the style of coaching differences between countries like the USA, Cuba, Asia, and European countries? You can see some differences in style but what exactly is it that makes the coaching styles for their fighters so different? Is the coaching methods Cubans using very different from American coaches?

Pernell Whitaker or Sergio Martinez plz. I want them to get analyze because they are southpaws and each have a very distinctive style of boxing compare to the rest. But El Intoccable is fine as well because he's a defensive fighter, and from what i've read have mad skillz.

Pernell Whitaker or Sergio Martinez plz. I want them to get analyze because they are southpaws and each have a very distinctive style of boxing compare to the rest. But El Intoccable is fine as well because he's a defensive fighter, and from what i've read have mad skillz.

locche was THE defensive wizard :)

A comparison on oldschool inside fighters like The Rock and lesser-known modern inside fighters like Matthysse would be nice Sinister :)

P.S. Yeah, I love dem bodyshots.

at ~2min into the first video, the part where Kostya is catching the coin from his partner is very similar to what some strength coaches call drop training. It was termed as the next big, functional thing back in about 2004/2007 but to this day, you can't find too much about it online whereas you can find almost anything on the internet. Basically, you are training your neuromuscular ability to suddenly accelerate from a dead stop and contract your muscles very rapidly to produce a quick movement. I found the conceptual link between this type of training and what Kostya was doing to be very interesting

can you elaborate Sinister on what you see as the style of coaching differences between countries like the USA, Cuba, Asia, and European countries? You can see some differences in style but what exactly is it that makes the coaching styles for their fighters so different? Is the coaching methods Cubans using very different from American coaches?

I'm not sure the exact way this stuff evolved but basically, the Russians and their allies utilized a lot of things like posture correction, and what would be considered physical therapy now in order to condition their athletes for the task needed. In other words someone along the lines asked: "Okay, so I am wanting this guy/girl to execute this task, but is it realistic of me? Are they even ABLE to perform the task I'm requiring of them?" You'd be surprised how often the answer is "no." As it translates to boxing, it's incredibly difficult to teach tall skinny guys to fight from their back foot. To activate their posterior chain in their movements. And by tall skinny guys, I mean tall for their division. A tall skinny guy could be 5'7" if he fights at 118 or below. It's incredibly difficult to get duck-footed guys to internally rotate their rear leg, and it's incredibly difficult to get pigeon-toed guys to externally rotate their rear leg without the lead leg moving with it.

But if you know how to fix these problems, you know how to get a guy to do what you want him to. However, I will say that the methods Dadi and I use are different even from the Russians and Cubans. What they did primarily was build the motions into the techniques, so that if you simply repeat the techniques over and over again, you'll get better results. But that's because they wanted everything VERY sport-specific. We try to correct these things in life as well. Who teaches their kids HOW to sit, stand, or walk anymore in the US? Every day I see people, hump-backed, sway-backed, duck-footed, pigeon-toed, lordosis, etc. And they never do anything corrective until they have injuries. Well, for athletes that does not suffice. No need to let them do it improperly until they suffer, get them to do it correctly and that day need not arrive. This kind of stuff is what SHOULD be done in physical education. And we've all but completely destroyed that.

Very few trainers in the US still work this way. Most of them work backwards in the above fashion. Move however YOU move, if you get hurt, then we'll figure something out, or we'll try to hire a guy to fix it, or we'll hire 3 guys. As always, money needed to solve your problem as opposed to better education. I know of a few who are still very good about these things, but they're very few. They used to be, however. Bouie Fisher was one, and it was very sad when we lost him. He's THE reason Bernard Hopkins' career is as long as it is. Because had the Bernard that fought his first Pro bout poorly, and in the wrong division, never met Bouie, he'd not have learned all the skill and ways to improve physical performance that assure he's safe in the ring today and not subject to copious fatiguing the way guys who RELY on their conditioning do. And every guy Bouie trained COULD fight, even if they never became a Bernard Hopkins. They were well-educated.

Sinistar, the things you guys are doing in the gym are great! But there is something you should know about sport teams in the Eastern Bloc. Everyone who end up in a national team was there as a result of a very tight selection from the best genetic material of each country.
This selection starts as early as kindergarden. In elementary school you already have kids with abillities, recruited and training under government supervision. Then transfered to special middle school, where kids are divided into groups, depending on their profile- football, wrestling, boxing, weightlifting and etc.
Then comes the natural selection of the best of the best. The ones who end up chosen, have the full attention of the government body, including in their private life.
Once they reach plateu in their growing, the medical teams are involved (most of the times a lot earlier, actually).
The regiment they follow is designed specifically for each one of them, but in general is based on Periodisation and Adaptation. As one of my friends use to say "Start with your max... and then slowly increase!"
This kind of selection you can still see in China and North Korea.
I have encountered very similar lectures in their national sport academies as well.
The people in the program were one way or another superior to the normal people and if there were any with posture issues, then they were there because their sport recuires it and no one would try to change that...

Oh I know about that Onq. I was leaving that part out because it's a whole entire other subject. I first learned about stuff like that when reading specifically about China, and how Jet Li was basically groomed to be what he became. Despite that, of course, he had very very distinct advantages of speed and athleticism, he was chosen to go into their Sports Academy as a Wu Shu practitioner at the age of 5 or so, maybe even 4. And they're very similar with their acrobats, opera performers, etc.

The customization aspect is something Dadi and I have taken, though. No two fighters we train warm-up or have conditioning regimens that are exactly the same. Because they're all either working with different tools, or different problems.

Oh I know about that Onq. I was leaving that part out because it's a whole entire other subject. I first learned about stuff like that when reading specifically about China, and how Jet Li was basically groomed to be what he became. Despite that, of course, he had very very distinct advantages of speed and athleticism, he was chosen to go into their Sports Academy as a Wu Shu practitioner at the age of 5 or so, maybe even 4. And they're very similar with their acrobats, opera performers, etc.

The customization aspect is something Dadi and I have taken, though. No two fighters we train warm-up or have conditioning regimens that are exactly the same. Because they're all either working with different tools, or different problems.
Agreed.
And a Happy New Year to everyone!
Im popping tequilas... 3 more hours to go!

I love the way Tszyu uses his lead hand. He always probing and threatening with that jab-hook combination, sticking his jab in their face. It's a really good example of the jab used, not just as a range finder, but as a deterrent/distraction to your opponent. When he's got someone on the back foot, he uses a lot of stiff jabs and feints to set up his right hand. And when they're encroaching on his space, his lead hand is always shooting out to protect his center. It's that threat envelope that SAAMAG was talking about.

I think I'm going to make a point of studying Tszyu's tactics, because I think they'd suit my attributes pretty well. He's not super quick with his feet because he doesn't need to be. That's not to say that he's sluggish. His foot placement is phenomenal. That Bramble fight is an absolute thrashing. I'll be looking more into his training methods for sure. I need to actually stick to a home regimen to practice my standup.

Last edited:
Back