An objective, reliable way...

XTrainer

Red Belt
Reaction score
...to measure improvements in flexibility...is there one? I have extremely stiff shoulders, but am getting frustrated with my flexibility training because I don't know if I'm making any progress. It is doubly frustrating because, largely through lifting, I've grown very flexible in most areas of my body except for those darn shoulders.

Thanks.

why not make up your own? stand near a doorway and perform a certain range movement (while being strict with keeping your core in place, etc.). mark the spot you were able to reach, and then perform the movement again a week later, and so on.

You can use proximity to measure progress like suggested above. You can also use time. I used to stretch my stiffest body parts in 3 alternating 30s intervals for each side. I know I made progress when I'm loose (by feel and by proximity) at the end of the first interval whereas it used to take me the whole 3 interval to be as loose. I also gauge my progress by stretching at the same time of day so it'll be more accurate. For example, I'd stretch my hamstrings before going to work everyday and if it takes less time to be loose than before then I'd made some progress.

...to measure improvements in flexibility...is there one? I have extremely stiff shoulders, but am getting frustrated with my flexibility training because I don't know if I'm making any progress. It is doubly frustrating because, largely through lifting, I've grown very flexible in most areas of my body except for those darn shoulders.

Thanks.

I agree with ghosty. I could offer up ideas but I don't know what kind of motion you're talking about. Like a windmilling motion? Reaching upwards? Esseplane pleaz.

If you're doing shoulder dislocations, make a notch for where your grips are set.

The sort of motion I'm talking about is the attempt to bring locked-out arms to a position slightly behind my head. I can't even get perfect vertical yet. When my arms are at lockout, I require some layback just to maintain my center of gravity over the middle of my feet, where it needs to be. Naturally, this impairs my overhead lifting in numerous ways.

DW had a pretty good method of testing flexibility.

I'm holding YOU responsible for the vomit on my new lap top.

Yeah, just make a mark on the broomstick (or whatever you're using to do shoulder dislocations) where your grip is, and try to get the marks closer and closer together over time.

You *are* doing shoulder dislocations, right? I used to have a terrible time with overhead squats because of a similar flexibility problem, and shoulder dislocations before/during/after OHS sessions, + at random times throughout the day, fixed that problem right up.

you could video every day, which would be a pain in the ass. you could just visually check in a how close you are to what you want to achieve. one thing that i use in wrestling or jiujitsu is to find a position that i cannot get into (i.e lotus? and every few days try to get in it and feel and observe how much easier and closer i am to the desired position.

Well based on the type of flexibility you're looking for, i'd definitely start hitting the shoulder dislocates. Use a rope, band, or a belt (bjj or something), and start with a VERY wide grip. Keep inching it in until you can barely complete the stretch properly. Mark this on the belt/band/stick. Keep on inching. Key would be to start with a wide enough grip to let you comfortable complete the dislocates, and then move on after its very easy.

Well based on the type of flexibility you're looking for, i'd definitely start hitting the shoulder dislocates. Use a rope, band, or a belt (bjj or something), and start with a VERY wide grip. Keep inching it in until you can barely complete the stretch properly. Mark this on the belt/band/stick. Keep on inching. Key would be to start with a wide enough grip to let you comfortable complete the dislocates, and then move on after its very easy.

Yeah, just make a mark on the broomstick (or whatever you're using to do shoulder dislocations) where your grip is, and try to get the marks closer and closer together over time.

You *are* doing shoulder dislocations, right? I used to have a terrible time with overhead squats because of a similar flexibility problem, and shoulder dislocations before/during/after OHS sessions, + at random times throughout the day, fixed that problem right up.

+1.

Back