Elections Amy Klobuchar declined to prosecute the officer who killed George Floyd by kneeling on his neck

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welp guess this kills her vice presidential bid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-officers-derek-chauvin-tou-thao-investigated

The Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar, a former Democratic presidential candidate, has faced backlash for what critics have called a tame demand for “a complete and thorough outside investigation”, and is now being questioned on her record. Between 1999 and 2007, Klobuchar, the state’s then top prosecutor, declined to press chargesagainst more than a dozen officers accused of killing civilians.

In 2006, Chauvin was one of several officers involved in the shooting death of a man who stabbed others before turning on the police.

Although Klobuchar was the Hennepin county attorney at the time of an October 2006 police shooting involving Chauvin, she did not prosecute and instead the case went to a grand jury that declined to charge the officers with wrongdoing in 2008.

She's between a rock and a hard place. I don't know about her past, but people expecting instant justice in this case, are being unreasonable. Of course there has to be an investigation, before you can rack up charges. And there will be charges.

I understand the anger, but people need to be patient. That cop is going down.

She's between a rock and a hard place. I don't know about her past, but people expecting instant justice in this case, are being unreasonable. Of course there has to be an investigation, before you can rack up charges. And there will be charges.

Yeah, I don't know if the prior complaints were fully justified, but it's a terrible look for her and she's probably a liability for "black people love me" Biden.

Your title is misleading, this is about the officer over a decade ago involved in a shooting. It is that same officer as the current event though

3 officers opened fire on a suspect who had already stabbed multiple people and led cops on a high speed chase when that suspect stepped out of his car with a shotgun, Chauvin being one of the cops that felt the need to fire his gun.

I’m surprised that ever even made it to a grand jury. There must be more details that made it at least slightly controversial.

There’s another one where he shot an unarmed guy, granted one they’d been called to that house for a domestic violence call, who was “going for his gun.” That raises my eyebrows more than being one of a group of officers shooting down a guy who was armed with a shotgun.

Last edited:
Seems like DA is a really bad position to hold if you are looking at being president one day. Harris got slapped over her record too. I thought Senators historically had the hardest time but DA leads to a lot of this stuff too since there are a lot of cases and they are associated with crime. Can go south real quick.

Your title is misleading, this is about the officer over a decade ago involved in a shooting. It is that same officer as the current event though

3 officers opened fire on a suspect who had already stabbed multiple people and led cops on a high speed chase when that suspect stepped out of his car with a shotgun, Chauvin being one of the cops that felt the need to fire his gun. I’m surprised that ever even made it to a grand jury

How is it misleading? Klobuchar hasn't been a DA for over a decade.

Yeah, I don't know if the prior complaints were fully justified, but it's a terrible look for her and she's probably a liability for "I love black people" Biden.

I doubt any of the nominees(especially the final four) were even in the running for VP. He'll pick someone who people haven't objectively rejected. I could be wrong, but VP picks seem to usually go to people who haven't made much noise in the current election. It seems self defeating. I don't anticipate a Warren/Klobuchar/Harris/Pete pick. At best, in terms of recognition, he'll pick Stacey Abrams. Outside of her, I'd wager he'll pick some nobody, in terms of being a household name.

I doubt any of the nominees(especially the final four) were even in the running for VP. He'll pick someone who people haven't objectively rejected. I could be wrong, but VP picks seem to usually go to people who haven't made much noise in the current election. It seems self defeating. I don't anticipate a Warren/Klobuchar/Harris/Pete pick. At best, in terms of recognition, he'll pick Stacey Abrams. Outside of her, I'd wager he'll pick some nobody, in terms of being a household name.

Abrams is way too inexperienced, given Biden's age. I assume they want to go with someone who can take over as president.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-officers-derek-chauvin-tou-thao-investigated

The Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar, a former Democratic presidential candidate, has faced backlash for what critics have called a tame demand for “a complete and thorough outside investigation”, and is now being questioned on her record. Between 1999 and 2007, Klobuchar, the state’s then top prosecutor, declined to press chargesagainst more than a dozen officers accused of killing civilians.

In 2006, Chauvin was one of several officers involved in the shooting death of a man who stabbed others before turning on the police.

Although Klobuchar was the Hennepin county attorney at the time of an October 2006 police shooting involving Chauvin, she did not prosecute and instead the case went to a grand jury that declined to charge the officers with wrongdoing in 2008.

I dont get it, so in the Chauvin case there was a man who was stabbing others and got shot by police yet people are getting mad that the officer wasnt prosecuted?

Abrams is way too inexperienced, given Biden's age. I assume they want to go with someone who can take over as president.

I think the "inexperience" ship has sailed. You went from Obama, who had little experience, to Trump, who had none.

I don't think it matters. Especially for the VP choice. Biden could choose Lebron James, and nobody would bat an eye at his lack of experience.

Video is enough evidence to arrest him same day as killing. A civilain would have been arrested immediately. Cops always get special treatment , deference and beneficial double standards.

‘Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?’: Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against arresting officer

"I've wrestled with, more than anything else over the last 36 hours, one fundamental question: Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail," Frey said. "If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now."

https://kstp.com/news/minneapolis-m...-police-officer-in-george-floyd-case/5742647/

Video is enough evidence to arrest him same day as killing. A civilain would have been arrested immediately. Cops always get special treatment , deference and beneficial double standards.

It's not double standards. They are in a special position that gives them special rights. Otherwise, they'd go to prison for any killing, as it would be deemed vigilante justice, and "the law" wouldn't exist. They are an institution who have been given special privileges to enforce the law. To ask them to be treated like civilians, is again, unrealistic.

Just relax. That cop will get what's coming to him.

They could arrest him and book him on the video alone. Imagine if you or I were on video doing that. They could add additional charges as well once booked.

He also shot another black guy, but she wasnt in the DA that year

I think the "inexperience" ship has sailed. You went from Obama, who had little experience, to Trump, who had none.

I don't think it matters. Especially for the VP choice. Biden could choose Lebron James, and nobody would bat an eye at his lack of experience.

Obama spent 12 years as a senator. He was far more qualified than she is. Trump aside, the democrats still seem to care about experience.

I'm not sure what the previous case; which sounds justified, has to do eith this one.

Regardless, talking heads have already proclaimed that the pick had to be a woman of color.

It's not double standards. They are in a special position that gives them special rights. Otherwise, they'd go to prison for any killing, as it would be deemed vigilante justice, and "the law" wouldn't exist. They are an institution who have been given special privileges to enforce the law. To ask them to be treated like civilians, is again, unrealistic.

Just relax. That cop will get what's coming to him.
It is a double standard and they are held above the law. No one should be above the law, espeically law enforcement. We are in this shit situation because America keeps defending killer cops and rarely holds them accoutable. If cops are held above the law, innocent people will keep getting murdered.

The 3 other cops need to be charged as accessories .

Obama spent 12 years as a senator. He was far more qualified than she is. Trump aside, the democrats still seem to care about experience.
<JagsKiddingMe>

Obama didn't even have 1 full US senate term. He was in state senate, but stacy abrams has a decade of state government experience as well. Experience is usually either in federal government or some executive position.

Back