Elections Amy Klobuchar declined to prosecute the officer who killed George Floyd by kneeling on his neck

I'm not sure what the previous case; which sounds justified, has to do eith this one.

Regardless, talking heads have already proclaimed that the pick had to be a woman of color.

I don't know the specifics of that case, but it isn't a good look. Also if you read the full article, the officers involved have had over 12 seperate civilian complaints.

Title makes it seem like its about the current situation. Waste this thread

Klobuchar is a senator not a DA and hasn't been for over a decade. You're an idiot if you thought it was about the current situation.

Klobuchar is a senator not a DA and hasn't been for over a decade. You're an idiot if you thought it was about the current situation.
No youre a clown for leaving out a few words that woukd have easily made your title's time frame make more sense. Take out the kneeling on the neck and replace with "past shooting incident." Idiot.

They could arrest him and book him on the video alone.

Imagine if you or I were on video doing that. They could add additional charges as well once booked.[/QUOTE]

I think the disconnect here, is that you are equating a police officer with a civilian. They are not mere "civilians". They are entrusted with upholding the law. They essentially have a license to kill(under certain circumstances). How they use that license within their own protocols, is what has to be investigated.

I agree, that if it was me or you, we would be immediately charged. He's not me or you though. He belongs to an institution that has special privileges in order to uphold the law. They aren't just some dudes.

I understand the frustration, but you have to be reasonable. No, cops are not judged as plain old civilians, and they can't be, if they are supposed to be in a position of authority. If these institutions are rendered powerless, then it's a free for all. The Wild West. These institutions were created to avoid that shit, where a guy can just walk into a bar, blow the the bartenders head off and rob the place, and not have to worry about a unified force coming after them, outside of the townsfolk who are not prepared to deal with such a maniac.

You gotta take the good with the bad. Yes, the authorities have more leeway, but they have to, unless you want an every man for himself scenario, where you have no emergency squad to call to save your ass, if some folks want to fuck you up and take your shit.

Is it perfect? No. Is it better than the alternative? Yes.

And like I said, don't worry. This guy is going down. It might take some time, but he's going down.

Why was prosecution even on the table in that old case? Armed, violent suspect in a high-speed chase. That doesn't sound like something that should have been a question. But it went to a Grand Jury?

It is a double standard and they are held above the law.

They are above the law, and they kind of have to be. If they weren't, they wouldn't be able to merely cuff anyone without facing charges. They still have rules to abide by though, and this guy will get to know those rules very quickly, when he's brought up on murder charges.

Obama spent 12 years as a senator. He was far more qualified than she is. Trump aside, the democrats still seem to care about experience.

I think you are mixing up him being a state senator vs US senator which was very short. I do agree experience and qualifications should matter though.

Video is enough evidence to arrest him same day as killing. A civilain would have been arrested immediately. Cops always get special treatment , deference and beneficial double standards.

‘Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?’: Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against arresting officer

"I've wrestled with, more than anything else over the last 36 hours, one fundamental question: Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail," Frey said. "If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now."

https://kstp.com/news/minneapolis-m...-police-officer-in-george-floyd-case/5742647/
How about we wait until the autopsy report comes out?
The prosecutor said there is evidence that does not support a criminal charge.
I'm surprised that the usual extra nuanced complexity examining big brains are willing to just throw the book at the cop.

They are above the law, and they kind of have to be. If they weren't, they wouldn't be able to merely cuff anyone without facing charges. They still have rules to abide by though, and this guy will get to know those rules very quickly, when he's brought up on murder charges.
There is a big difference between cuffing a person and depriving them of life and liberty. No one is saying cops can't cuff a person because how else would government be able to restrain a person.

In this case the video was ample evidence to immediately arrest the cop. The Mayor of Minneapolis agrees with me. He is right to point out that a civilian in a similar position would have been arrested already.

How about we wait until the autopsy report comes out?
The prosecutor said there is evidence that does not support a criminal charge.
I'm surprised that the usual extra nuanced complexity examining big brains are willing to just throw the book at the cop.

Even if the autoposy shows an underlying condition it does not matter in this case because the deciding factor was the knee on his neck. Or are you telling me that the underlying condition absolves the cop?
What a coincidence that the exact moment the cop had his knee on the guy's neck the underlying condition happens to kill him with no connection whatsoever to the guy being choked.

There is a big difference between cuffing a person and depriving them of life and liberty. No one is saying cops can't cuff a person because how else would government be able to restrain a person.

In this case the video was ample evidence to immediately arrest the cop. The Mayor of Minneapolis agrees with me. He is right to point out that a civilian in a similar position would have been arrested already.

It may seem cut and dry(and likely is), but these guys have special privileges that require longer investigations. Especially if they commit a crime while on duty. It's not complicated. If you hold them up to the same standards as civilians, you're going to be constantly frustrated, as they are not just civilians.

I don't know what to tell you. It's all fairly basic.

Even if the autoposy shows an underlying condition it does not matter in this case because the deciding factor was the knee on his neck. Or are you telling me that the underlying condition absolves the cop?
What a coincidence that the exact moment the cop had his knee on the guy's neck the underlying condition happens to kill him with no connection whatsoever to the guy being choked.
It may shed light on the case if the force wasn't excessive and done by police protocol.

In 2006, Chauvin was one of several officers involved in the shooting death of a man who stabbed others before turning on the police.

Lol I have zero issue with the police shooting someone who stabbed others before turning on police. Gee I wonder why Klobuchar didn't prosecute. This has to be a troll post.

It may shed light on the case if the force wasn't excessive and done by police protocol.

I think the police protocol is the sticking point. Although knee-on-neck is definitely unconventional, the MN protocol does list "neck restraints" as a non-lethal use of force. Its a stupid fucking protocol, but its something the prosecutors have to consider since the defense will obviously use it.

She's between a rock and a hard place. I don't know about her past, but people expecting instant justice in this case, are being unreasonable. Of course there has to be an investigation, before you can rack up charges. And there will be charges.

I understand the anger, but people need to be patient. That cop is going down.
Lol if there was a video with several witnesses of ANYONE that isn't a cop choking someone for 7 minutes that person would be immediately arrested and charged.

You can arrest, charge and continue to investigate for additional charges.

This unequal application of justice is why we kneel.

He also shot another black guy, but she wasnt in the DA that year

This is the one that seems a bit more sketchy. It boils down to the “he was going for my gun” defense in the days before body cams

Lol if there was a video with several witnesses of ANYONE that isn't a cop

Yeah, that's the point. They aren't "anybody that isn't a cop". He is a cop.

They are not civilians. This isn't a hard concept.

Lol if there was a video with several witnesses of ANYONE that isn't a cop choking someone for 7 minutes that person would be immediately arrested and charged.

You can arrest, charge and continue to investigate for additional charges.

This unequal application of justice is why we kneel.

There is a video of the Amaud killing and those guys weren't arrested for a long time. I don't think a civilian in this same circumstance would have been charged already. Look at what would go before the prosecutor:

1. Civilian steps in to help apprehend a criminal
2. Criminal initially resists, causing the civilian to have to restrain him
3. Witness say the criminal was high on crack or a similar drug
4. Civilian restrains the criminal with a knee-on-neck for several minutes
5. Criminal is dead when EMTs arrive

I think a prosecutor would want to see the autopsy before deciding where to go from there.

Back