Amir Aliakbari needed this loss

Aliakbari's cardiovascular wasn't a problem. He was receiving cortezone shots backstage for an undisclosed injury. Hampered his movement a bit. And as everyone knows he was a juicer, but I've been around him at this show and he's noticeably less inflated. Still huge, but not as he was.

Interesting, Any word on what sort of injury was it?

And Ive said this in the other thread, even though he juiced in the past, he is not as big as he was in his prime juicing days. And from what Ive seen of him after he got the ban from wrestling, it must have surely made him realise its too risky to have it ruin another sport he wishes to now compete in. His past reputation seems to be haunting him, but i don't think he's on anything today, i do think cro cop is on a nice cocktail though. But thats no excuse for the loss.

Guy needs improvements in pretty much every area of MMA. He looks too thickly muscled imo also, was fading in the fights vs Herring and Moldovsky. Too early to tell how his career will look.

Guy needs improvements in pretty much every area of MMA. He looks too thickly muscled imo also, was fading in the fights vs Herring and Moldovsky. Too early to tell how his career will look.

I doubt it has anything to do with his body, it was just an adrenaline dump that gassed him out. He needs to learn how to strike stand up and on the ground. Unfortunately he doesn't have a proper boxing coach, he has some Iranian guy who I'm not even sure has even competed in boxing himself. He needs to bring in a good coach, and some killer partners. Mark hunt who's trained at aka Thailand and Gegard mousasi, who's also Iranian born, are two names that come to mind. Both will put a beat down on him stand up wise and he'll eventually grow in that department.

Last edited:
I doubt it has anything to do with his body, it was just an adrenaline dump that gassed him out. He needs to learn how to strike stand up and on the ground. Unfortunately he doesn't have a proper boxing coach, he has some Iranian guy who I'm not even sure has even competed in boxing himself. He needs to bring in a good coach, and some killer partners. Mark hunt who's trained at aka Thailand and Gegard mousasi, who's also Iranian born, are two names that come to mind. Both will put a beat down on him stand up wise and he'll eventually grow in that department.

gotta disagree here. He fought 20+ minutes in 3 nights. Crocop fought 8. Don't know about CCsinjuries but Amir def had one (I'll let them disclose but I don't think he wants to make excuses). Amir wants a rematch down the road, but Tyler King has been biting hard trying to get a fight with Amir in the spring. And given CCs age, I can see them waiting until summer before he fights again... if he does at all.

Amir will get more training partners now. He netted over 120k in just purse, after taxes for these fights (don't know exactly total). Now comes the melding his skills away from just the wrestling strength.

I'm disappointed with the entire situation. What has he been working on at AKA for the past 2 years? I get the final fight put him at a disadvantage (Mirko came in fresh), but why was his cardio so unimpressive?

the fight lasted only 2 minutes... Amir is just not good. For fuck sakes, he went 1-1 with Fat, old, 8 years retired Heath Herring at rounds and Heath would have finished him if he didn't run carelessly into him allowing amir to clinch in order to survive that second round. Also he is a Greco Roman... in greco roman there are basically no takedowns, only pulling and pushing... so a usless art in mma.

gotta disagree here. He fought 20+ minutes in 3 nights. Crocop fought 8. Don't know about CCsinjuries but Amir def had one (I'll let them disclose but I don't think he wants to make excuses). Amir wants a rematch down the road, but Tyler King has been biting hard trying to get a fight with Amir in the spring. And given CCs age, I can see them waiting until summer before he fights again... if he does at all.

Amir will get more training partners now. He netted over 120k in just purse, after taxes for these fights (don't know exactly total). Now comes the melding his skills away from just the wrestling strength.

bro calm down, the guy went 1-1 at rounds with a fat, old and 8 year retired heath herring. More so, he would have been finished in that second round if Herring didn't run carelessly into him allowing Amir to clinch in order to surivive that second round.

The guy is a joke. Can't strike, Shitty cardio and has a shitty background for mma.

bro calm down, the guy went 1-1 at rounds with a fat, old and 8 year retired heath herring. More so, he would have been finished in that second round if Herring didn't run carelessly into him allowing Amir to clinch in order to surivive that second round.

The guy is a joke. Can't strike, Shitty cardio and has a shitty background for mma.

A little hung over there from the new-year festivities, fella? You sound like a real winner. But I'll be sure to "calm down". You clearly know more about MMA and Amir than I do....

Cro Cop stated after the gp that he got injured in the king mo fight. The body kick caught a part of king mo's elbow and messed his foot up and he had a knee injury from camp. Getting surgery as soon as he gets home

A little hung over there from the new-year festivities, fella? You sound like a real winner. But I'll be sure to "calm down". You clearly know more about MMA and Amir than I do....
No. this user is just an asshole. Pay no attention to him and report him for fighter bashing.

Amir has real talent. Anyone can see that. He needs to go to a better camp because AKA Thailand may not be the best place for him. AKA San Jose would be great if he can avoid injuries.

I expect good things from him.

Where are you getting this information from (rematch etc) ?. I just searched tyler king, and he would make a good fight for amir to come back from a loss. And I agree, he has to bring in some good partners now, the MMA community will have taken notice of him after a great run in the tournament. Mousasi will be a good guy to bring in given both their Iranian backgrounds. And of course, mark hunt has been down there before and trained with amir.

I think people underestimate just how useful greco roman is for MMA. Yes they don't attack the legs, but most of MMA is fought in the clinch anyways. And maybe we could even say that the shots you see in freestyle/collegiate wrestling are also slowly losing their success rates?. Today people with no wrestling credentials have a much easier time defending leg shots and leg takedowns from established wrestlers, because they've been facing guys like that forever. Greco roman is more close to a street fight type of style, and harder to defend in MMA i would say, because with a leg attack/shot you always have the possibility of getting kneed or even chocked (ask Cain). Once a greco guy initiates the clinch as we saw, its in their backyard, theres not much you can do except exit.

Heath herring before the fight said he didn't worry about amirs wrestling because "Ive faced wrestlers before who were just as good if not better'. I checked his record and the two wrestlers that stood out for me were Mark kerr, who lost to heath herring, and Brock lesnar. None of those two are at the level of Amir, (Mark kerr was very close) and we all saw what happened when he tried to combat Amirs wrestling. He was sent flying over his head.

Last edited:
Amir has massive potential. World class greco and a great team in AKA Thailand. A part of me wishes that he'd stay in Rizin tho, he's slowly built a fanbase in Japan and he can juice if he wishes to.

Amir has massive potential. World class greco and a great team in AKA Thailand. A part of me wishes that he'd stay in Rizin tho, he's slowly built a fanbase in Japan and he can juice if he wishes to.

I don't see why he wouldn't stay with RIZIN, i doubt the UFC will come for him just yet. I recon there's a chance Bellator will call him down for a fight though.

Part of me thinks he could have beat king mo.

Last edited:
I thought Moldavsky should have gotten a third round. He lit him up on the feet and only got laid on for a little bit without receiving any damage. 3rd round would have been a beating.

Moldavsky vs Cro Cop would have been a much more interesting final also.

Not that I'm complaining, I was glad CC got an easier fight so he can possibly retire on top.

I thought Moldavsky should have gotten a third round. He lit him up on the feet and only got laid on for a little bit without receiving any damage. 3rd round would have been a beating.

Moldavsky vs Cro Cop would have been a much more interesting final also.

Not that I'm complaining, I was glad CC got an easier fight so he can possibly retire on top.
I watched the fight again and heres what happened.
Valentin throws a few punches, maybe one lands. Amir shoots for the single and takes him down, after a moment he escapes and amir takes his back, they stand and amir takes him against and ropes and knees him a few times. Valentin tries to use a sambo throw but fails, amir initiates the clinch, takes him to the corner and throws a punch as they separate. Valentin throws a couple punches, and as the final seconds of the first round come to an end, amir initiates the clinch again and controls him against the corner.

Second round and both throw some punches before amir initiates the clinch again. They both then land a good shot on each other before amir takes him down again. They get up, Amir takes him down again. Valentin tries to grab the ropes in the corner, probably because he cant escape amirs hold, and gets re positioned again. Amir controls him against the ropes and throws a couple knees, ref separates them and they both throw a couple shots at each other before amir initiates the clinch again in the corner. Amir throws a couple knees before valetin escapes and they move back to the centre. Valentin throws a punch and initiates the clinch again, amir throws a knee and takes him back into the corner, before taking him down once again. Amir controls him, before calling stoppage for illegal move. Final 30 seconds valentin has some success with a few punches but nothing major.

Seriously, how people think amir didn't deserve the win is beyond me, he controlled the fight and made valentin fight to his strengths. Yes, he didn't do any crazy punches and flashy moves, but we keep forgetting this is a guy who entered that ring on a 4-0 record. He used his grappling skills to control and win the fight, and won it fair and square.

Im looking at the UFC heavyweight rankings, which are the following.

Champion : Stipe Miocic
1 Fabricio Werdum

2 Cain Velasquez

3 Alistair Overeem

4 Junior Dos Santos

5 Ben Rothwell

6 Mark Hunt

7 Andrei Arlovski

8 Derrick Lewis

9 Travis Browne

10 Stefan Struve

10 Francis Ngannou

12 Alexander Volkov

13 Daniel Omielanczuk

14 Tim Johnson

15 Luis Henrique
*NR

fighters ranked 15-10 would be easy picking for amir, with the exception of Ngannou, who looks good so far but I'm not sold on him yet, we'll know more when he faces arlovski. Then we enter top 10, and I think he'd fair well vs struve, but thats where it starts to become competitive and I'm not sure what happens. Travis browne is a fun matchup, all of them are, and I think he has a chance with everybody up until the top 5, which for me you switch mark hunt with rothwell and thats the top 5. After that, your talking the elite guys, and amirs not ready for that calibre of competition yet.

Based on this, I think that with the current training camp he has, he'd be best to stay in RIZIN for the time being. In order for him to challenge the UFC top 10, he needs to change to AKA san jose at the very minimum. However with Cain also training there I'm not sure how things would pan out. And being iranian may cause some issues with travel and visa etc.

I watched the fight again and heres what happened.
Valentin throws a few punches, maybe one lands. Amir shoots for the single and takes him down, after a moment he escapes and amir takes his back, they stand and amir takes him against and ropes and knees him a few times. Valentin tries to use a sambo throw but fails, amir initiates the clinch, takes him to the corner and throws a punch as they separate. Valentin throws a couple punches, and as the final seconds of the first round come to an end, amir initiates the clinch again and controls him against the corner.

Second round and both throw some punches before amir initiates the clinch again. They both then land a good shot on each other before amir takes him down again. They get up, Amir takes him down again. Valentin tries to grab the ropes in the corner, probably because he cant escape amirs hold, and gets re positioned again. Amir controls him against the ropes and throws a couple knees, ref separates them and they both throw a couple shots at each other before amir initiates the clinch again in the corner. Amir throws a couple knees before valetin escapes and they move back to the centre. Valentin throws a punch and initiates the clinch again, amir throws a knee and takes him back into the corner, before taking him down once again. Amir controls him, before calling stoppage for illegal move. Final 30 seconds valentin has some success with a few punches but nothing major.

Seriously, how people think amir didn't deserve the win is beyond me, he controlled the fight and made valentin fight to his strengths. Yes, he didn't do any crazy punches and flashy moves, but we keep forgetting this is a guy who entered that ring on a 4-0 record. He used his grappling skills to control and win the fight, and won it fair and square.

Firt round was obviously Amir's, he masterfully laid on Moldavsky for the majority of the round. The second one however, he couldn't take him down as easily and was getting lit up by combos. Valentin landed much more effectively and with more volume, which should count more for attempting to finish a fight than a few clinch knees and short lived takedowns.

Firt round was obviously Amir's, he masterfully laid on Moldavsky for the majority of the round. The second one however, he couldn't take him down as easily and was getting lit up by combos. Valentin landed much more effectively and with more volume, which should count more for attempting to finish a fight than a few clinch knees and short lived takedowns.
Second round amir landed 3 takedowns, and controlled the fight where he wanted it to go, which was in the clinch.

Second round amir landed 3 takedowns, and controlled the fight where he wanted it to go, which was in the clinch.

If you do absolutely nothing with the takedowns and the opponent gets up every time, they shouldn't count more than landed punches to the face.

A third round would have been ideal to see who the better fighter is.

Amir will be very good,this was a good experience and he has all the time in the world to improve.Wish him all the best and hope to see him in UFC soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back