Amir Aliakbari needed this loss

cakemuncher

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't retire now, but sees this as an opportunity to grow.

The guy looks scary AF. I thought CC's win was a work until I saw the slow-motion replay.

The Baruto fight though, wtf was that?

I'm disappointed with the entire situation. What has he been working on at AKA for the past 2 years? I get the final fight put him at a disadvantage (Mirko came in fresh), but why was his cardio so unimpressive?

I'm disappointed with the entire situation. What has he been working on at AKA for the past 2 years? I get the final fight put him at a disadvantage (Mirko came in fresh), but why was his cardio so unimpressive?

He's been working on avoiding injury.

Amir is good,great fighter,but needs much more experience for tournament,GP.

The Baruto fight though, wtf was that?
He made his name on being the much larger guy facing older past their prime opponents. Mirko was his first real test and boy was that glorious seeing baruto fold.

Mirko is one of the most experienced fighters in the world. And it was a tournament setting. A lot of the "big shots" of today would try to avoid fighting in that format. I can see Amir being very good if he keeps training.

He would do well in the UFC. And I hope he does NOT join UFC. The other organizations need a guy like him.

He is a pretty good fighter but he has big weaknesses like bad cardio & mediocre striking. Definitely hope this motivates him to get better.

what does this loss mean anyways?

aliakbari had 10 minutes of hard work against moldavsky. crocop made it the finals with 30 seconds of work.

He'll be fine. No shame losing to a veteran when you're 4-0 and knackered. He'll learn and get back to winning ways.

Yeah he's still very young in the sport. Definitely can't be down on himself after losing to someone like CC who has a shit ton more experience than him.

huge guys on roids aren't known for having good cardio
Not like he's just a big guy. I didn't see him having these cardio issues when he was wrestling. Perhaps it's because he's off the juice now (he is trying to get recruited by the UFC).
Also pretty hypocritical of all the people criticizing Aliakbari's steroid usage, but then worshiping Mirko.

He doesn't need anymore for awhile. Time to crush tomatoes and develop.

Because he weights 120 kg
lotta-greco-romana-amir-aziz-ali-akbari-800x533.jpg

AKA? he was probably fighting while injured in that case

Amirs a stud, this was a great experience for him. To be thrown into a draining tournament and draw against two vets in herring and cro cop will only elevate him to the next level. His next fight will probably be a regular normal rules fight, and he'll smoke his opponent as he seems to do better that way, its clear the tournament structure took its toll on him. He needs to take a few weeks to clear his head of how things went down, and then get to work on his cardio and striking.

I know his boxing coach for the camp was some Iranian dude with very little or unknown credentials, you cant do much better than bringing in Iranian coaches for wrestling, but boxing...I'm not convinced. He needs to bring in a new striking coach, or at the very least, bring in some monsters to spar with him and push him to the limits, like Hunt and even fellow Iranian mousasi, if he can rough it out with them, he'll be set.

This guys the brightest heavyweight prospect around if he can improve his stand up and cardio. I also think he has no business leaving RIZIN yet, eventually, I see him transitioning to AKA in san jose, because if he continues to evolve theres no doubt this guys gonna be in the UFC soon. But for the time being, he's in good hands with mike swick in Thailand.

As an Iranian myself, Ive had the opinion that if he can inspire a new generation of Iranian wrestlers to try MMA, there could be one hell of a takeover.

Last edited:
Aliakbari's cardiovascular wasn't a problem. He was receiving cortezone shots backstage for an undisclosed injury. Hampered his movement a bit. And as everyone knows he was a juicer, but I've been around him at this show and he's noticeably less inflated. Still huge, but not as he was.

Back