American Top Team= Overrated?

twein

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, this gym has produced a ton of talent in the UFC and elsewhere as well, but at the same time I feel it gets so much praise despite never producing a UFC champion or even a contender for one. I may be over critical, but every time a fighter signs there, it is considered this great move for their career despite the fact that gym has never had a fighter advance that high in the ranks.

Not every gym can be like Jackson's with potential champions signing at the door left and right but i look at a gym like Serra-Longo that has produced two UFC champions and is rarely mention as a quality place to train.

Thoughts?

Don't get me wrong, this gym has produced a ton of talent in the UFC and elsewhere as well, but at the same time I feel it gets so much praise despite never producing a UFC champion or even a contender for one. I am over critical, but every time a fighter signs there, it is considered this great move for their career despite the fact that gym has never had a fighter advance that high in the ranks.

Not every gym can be like Jackson's with potential champions signing at the door left and right but i look at a gym like Serra-Longo that has produced two UFC champions and is rarely mention as a quality place to train.

Thoughts?

Fixed.

/thread.

Matt Brown was the FW champion in WEC. ATT may be a bit overrated but Thiago Alves fought for the title and so has Bigfoot so you're wrong on them not producing contenders. Lawler is looking better than ever now that he is at ATT and isn't too far away from a title shot. Thiago Silva is another top 10 guy they produced.

Lombard is also with ATT and was a title contender and may become one again at WW.

Good post TS... ATT is a very overrated camp and If guys like Tibau,Alves,Pickett and Brown train at other gyms they would be better fighters and more prepared

Well Mike Brown and Brian Bowles trained there and won championships in the WEC.

I guess they're so highly regarded because they've produced a huge number of top level fighters. Maybe no UFC champions yet, but with the amount of decent guys they produce its probably only a matter of time.

It's possible they go a little easier on their fighters than other high ranking teams. It'd make sense business wise as you wouldn't put off lower level guys who want to train... but at the same time it means you won't squeeze the full potential out of the guys who might be champion material.

Matt Brown was the FW champion in WEC. ATT may be a bit overrated but Thiago Alves fought for the title and so has Bigfoot so you're wrong on them not producing contenders. Lawler is looking better than ever now that he is at ATT and isn't too far away from a title shot. Thiago Silva is another top 10 guy they produced.

Lombard is also with ATT and was a title contender and may become one again at WW.

Oh Gawd ( Big Sean voice) lol. But no this is correct right here.

Good post TS... ATT is a very overrated camp and If guys like Tibau,Alves,Pickett and Brown train at other gyms they would be better fighters and more prepared

There is sarcasm in this post right... please say it just wasn't me putting the sarcasm in there on my own

despite never producing a UFC champion or even a contender for one.

What???
Mike Thomas Brown - WEC Champion
Jorge Masividal - Challenged for the Strikeforce Title
Din Thomas - Early UFC LW contender
Poirier - Current 145 contender
Thiago Alves - challenged for the Title
Woodley - Fought for the strikeforce championship
Lombard - Bellator Champion
Kang - Pride GP runner up
Glover - LHW Title Contender
Monson - HW UFC Title challenger
Bigfoot Silva - HW Title challenger/Elite XC Champion
Mark Hunt - K-1 Champion

Yeah. ATT sucks. No challengers, champions or anything training there.... And that's a short list. I could have went on for about two days of the quality fighters from ATT. Not to forget Lawler and Eddie

Based on what exactly?

ATT has produced a lot of great fighters.

If you actually took the time to look at the fighters from their camp that have gone on to be champions/title challengers, you would realize that.

So you're saying they should be called "American close to the top team"? "American top 100 team"

ATT is not doing too hot lately but they have had some pretty good guys before

They used to be rated really highly and talked about a lot nowadays not so much, I don't think they're overrated.

They have

Glover Texixeira (trained there his last fight)
Dustin Poirier
Daniel Straus
Robbie Lawler
Thiago Alves
Nik Lentz
Justin Scoggins
Attila vegh
Hector Lombard
Brad Pickett
Mirsad Bektic
Sirwan Kakai
Gleison Tibau
Jorge Masvidal
Jessica Aguilar
Tecia Torres
Nick Newell
Will Brooks
Bubba Jenkins
Ediene Gomes

ATT is actually on a bit of an upswing with guys like Lawler, Poirier, High, and Lentz looking very impressive since making the move to Coconut Creek.

Back