American Jiu-Jitsu

LOL, Rorion is what his father told him to be and that is exactly what Helio and his clan did. Most lineages can still be traced rather quickly back to the Gracies, i mean like one generation quick.

Yes, but only Helio, Rorion, and a few of his siblings buy into the totality of the philosophy you're talking about. The vast majority of BJJ practitioners are not from that lineage and do not adopt that philosophy. No one from Carlos' side talks like that, nobody from the Rolls lineage talks like that, even though he was trained by Helio. Furthermore, I think Helio and Rorion's outdated perspective is based more on what martial arts was in their day, and their resistance to change based on their lifetime of reliance on that philosophy. I don't think modern BJJ practitioners think like that, and I don't believe they have thought like that for a while.

Damn this thread!!!!!!!!:mad:

I started out thinking it was a bit of a gimmic but a good one imo.

then i started leaning more toward legit art

now im leaning back toward gimmic but a good one imo.

Hmmm.......

Still can't get past the fact that Jake was a martial artist in wrestling before BJJ, so why does what he do have to be BJJ "with wrestling"?

Then that's nothing new. High level wrestling + high level jiu jitsu? That's a new art? I don't buy it for a second. It's high level wrestling and high level jiu jitsu. I consider his branding the same as what Dave Camarillo is doing, or Rorion Gracie. Just meaningless branding to sell the product. But the same core philosophy, just different personal strengths.

That said, I'm a huge fan of Jake Shields and his grappling. I just don't think it's very different or new. He's just got great wrestling and a very sound BJJ game focused on top position (although he does take the back a lot).

We'll see if AJJ takes off. I don't see the lexicon changing very quickly. I think it might be a good marketing tool for Jake.

How many great wrestlers got "Gracie" trained and went on to be a top MMA fighter? Not too many...

Yes, but only Helio, Rorion, and a few of his siblings buy into the totality of the philosophy you're talking about. The vast majority of BJJ practitioners are not from that lineage and do not adopt that philosophy. No one from Carlos' side talks like that, nobody from the Rolls lineage talks like that, even though he was trained by Helio. Furthermore, I think Helio and Rorion's outdated perspective is based more on what martial arts was in their day, and their resistance to change based on their lifetime of reliance on that philosophy. I don't think modern BJJ practitioners think like that, and I don't believe they have thought like that for a while.

I agree, but Helio and Rorion's influence is by far the largest reaching.

Oh and "awhile" really needs to be quantified in regards to this subject, because in regards to martial arts, North America hasn't even known about JJ "for awhile".:icon_neut

I fully get your point tho and do agree that Helio and Rorion's insights are outdated and that the vast majority of BJJ grapplers don't buy into that vision anymore, altho you wouldn't guess it reading most posts in the grappling forum.:redface:

Still can't get past the fact that Jake was a martial artist in wrestling before BJJ, so why does what he do have to be BJJ "with wrestling"?

He's not. I'm not saying it's BJJ first and wrestling second. I'm saying his takedowns and scrambles show awesome wrestling, and his ground game shows awesome BJJ. I think he's a great wrestler and a great BJJ practitioner. I don't think he's developed a new style.

I fully get your point tho and do agree that Helio and Rorion's insights are outdated and that the vast majority of BJJ grapplers don't buy into that vision anymore, altho you wouldn't guess it reading most posts in the grappling forum.:redface:

People get defensive. One person asserts something about their "style" and people feel the need to defend their "style."

How many great wrestlers got "Gracie" trained and went on to be a top MMA fighter? Not too many...

Right? I mean we have heard more than once that coupling strong wrestling with BJJ is an obvious thing to do and is nothing new.......yet i have yet to hear of the many, many great MMA guys with explosive takedowns and high level BJJ.:icon_conf

I'v been saying for awhile now (couple years) that the next evolution of "style" in MMA is going to be the dominant submission guy with explosive takedonws.

GJJ
GnP
Sprawl N Brawl
explosive subgrapplers

there is no such thing as american jiu-jitsu

I absolutely hope it takes off. Imagine a slew of AJJ schools that teach 50% takedowns, all rolls start from the feet.... Going straight takedowns is awesome. I'm behind it.

not sure what you guys are arguing about!

We are taking the piss out him because he said he was doing a "No Gi" BJJ tourney and some people think that there is no such thing as "No-Gi" BJJ.

So the joke was him thinking he is doing a "No Gi" tourney when maybe he is really doing doing a sub grappling tourney or a American JJ tourney.:icon_lol:

God i crack myself up!:icon_chee

Well, I guess if he called it American Submission Wrestling or grappling, we will not have this discussion.

there is no such thing as american jiu-jitsu

Of course there is, its tatoo'd on the future UFC WW Champions arm.:icon_neut You will actually be able to see it as he hoists the belt above his head to show the world he is indeed the UFC WW Champion of the world.

I absolutely hope it takes off. Imagine a slew of AJJ schools that teach 50% takedowns, all rolls start from the feet.... Going straight takedowns is awesome. I'm behind it.

Here, Here!!!!!!! I always get a weird look when i ask to start from standing when starting a roll. The look of fear and horror in there eyes and then i say "listen, just go 30% till we hit the ground, but at least attempt to train your muscles to get the fight to the ground".

we are taking the piss out him because he said he was doing a "no gi" bjj tourney and some people think that there is no such thing as "no-gi" bjj.

So the joke was him thinking he is doing a "no gi" tourney when maybe he is really doing doing a sub grappling tourney or a american jj tourney.:icon_lol:

God i crack myself up!:icon_chee

rambo is gonna be the first annual ajj tournament champion!!

I don't see what's funny about that.

Not making fun at all, friend. Just for the sake of this fun thread you may only think its a "No-Gi" tourney when in reality its an American JJ tourney, ya dig?

I mean because someone said there is no such thing as "No-Gi JJ". So the joke isn't on you, its on them, we are just using you as the vehicle..........:icon_neut

*edit* maybe the joke wasn't that good.......

Back