Opinion America should have 6 parties

People who align with third parties should stop being cowards and vote for them imo. Also don’t feel like you need to vote a straight ticket. If you believe your state should have a certain position on things like taxes-or abortions or drug use or gun control doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have have a national healthcare or environmental plan.

How about 56? One party for each gender.
Better yet 90, why must we exclude religions? Man you, me and TS should have been a congress man or senator. We would have great ideas to give these old geezers up there.

Because you're throwing away your vote! At least that's what everyone tells me whenever I tell them I vote 3rd party.

The only way a third party would be viable is if a very popular politician agrees to run. As it stands today, third parties can't even get into the house or senate, let alone the presidency.

The United States already has more than 6 parties (much more). What you need is a less apathetic voter base and perhaps more proportional representation out side of first past the post voting. Probably some tweaking to state ballot procedures as well

It's not a problem of an apathetic voter base either. Our system was specifically designed to reward moderation. If we had proportional representation in Congress, we would have more viable parties, but they'd still just end up as two major coalitions that map with the current parties.

What really upsets people who complain about there being two major parties is that not enough people agree with them and we have a democratic gov't.

The only way a third party would be viable is if a very popular politician agrees to run. As it stands today, third parties can't even get into the house or senate, let alone the presidency.

Or popular celeberities...

It's not a problem of an apathetic voter base either. Our system was specifically designed to reward moderation. If we had proportional representation in Congress, we would have more viable parties, but they'd still just end up as two major coalitions that map with the current parties.

What really upsets people who complain about there being two major parties is that not enough people agree with them and we have a democratic gov't.

Well it is an issue of apathetic voters as the majority of them are unaware of other parties and organizations that could achieve party status in states. The TS demonstrates that.

Coalitions are going to happen in a system with multiple parties but that also comes with concessions as well.

Well it is an issue of apathetic voters as the majority of them are unaware of other parties and organizations that could achieve party status in states. The TS demonstrates that.

Coalitions are going to happen in a system with multiple parties but that also comes with concessions as well.

I think people know that those parties exist. They just don't care about them. And I think the TS really means that there should be six parties that can win elections.

And, yeah, but even now, at least on the left, there are sort of subparties that do extract concessions.

One people, one party, one greater good.

I am all for the sane, willing to compromise party

A better scenario would be having 75-100 Supreme Court Justices.

9 justices were originally meant for a population of 3 million people.

The fact that we only have 7 for 300 million plus is all you need to know about how things really work.

There's nothing sacrosanct about nine justices, but 75-100 would be needlessly unwieldy. Something nice about a moderately low number is the ease with which one can parse the reasoning of the justices who rendered various decisions as well as those who dissented.

I'd see nothing wrong with increasing the number of justices to fifteen or so if it could be done in a manner that avoids long term results base don short term political advantage. In other words, I'd be opposed to Trump raising the number to fifteen and then appointing 6 new justices. I think if he did raise the number by six, he ought to allow Dems in the Senate to pick three nominees of their own, or something like that.

Today almost everyone agrees on just about everything in person. We all agree we should spend less on military, our government spend less, etc. A lot of people are like well I'm 51% this and another is like im 49% that. Why aren't there more parties to vote for? We vote for 51% of a platform and agree with 60% of it. Shouldn't there be a party that is for example for 2nd amendment and pro life while also thinking we should not have UHC? Another that is for UHC while pro choice, but also pro 2nd amendment
So you realize the point of the 2-party system now, and how it can be weaponized to make an entire population stupid and unable to think for themselves? Good. That's what has happened. The two-party system has been weaponized against us.

There should be at least 5, with one of the 5 claiming to be completely independent of left v right indoctrination.

I'd be happy with just one viable third party.

If you want more parties, advocate first for electoral system change. Except for regional peculiarities, multiple parties are not viable at a large scale in a FPP system.

With 2 party system you have your conservative side n your liberal side with their own extremists within the party.

they might have some influence, but usually parties stay near the middle.

with multiparty system you have “many different opinions” but in reality you gonna have couple of parties that can win.

This also leads to coalition forming where a parties get together to hold n keep power.

These type of things get sorted out before the elections in 2 party system.

Screw that, we should drop parties all together and focus on policies that actually Work for the people and remind politicians that they work for us, not the opposite.

Or..we can try going back to the early days and the Presidential runner-up becomes Vice-President ? It make actually force both sides of the aisle to work together.

Or..we can try going back to the early days and the Presidential runner-up becomes Vice-President ? It make actually force both sides of the aisle to work together.

Yeah but assassination attempts could increase?

Would like to have a presidential run off like France. Where you have a bracket with losers dropping out til you get a final two.

So you realize the point of the 2-party system now, and how it can be weaponized to make an entire population stupid and unable to think for themselves? Good. That's what has happened. The two-party system has been weaponized against us.
But a multi party parliamentary style system is full of flaws too. Belgium hasn't had a functional govt in a while and there are other cases where to make a majority, unwieldy alliances are made and can't be followed

Back